Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22lr jacketed postal shoot intrest?

Boolit Master

I am involved in a monthy shoot on another forum.
    The only prize, is a list monthy. Someone gets chest beating rights when their name is on the top.
    Each shooter scores their own, most of the more nerdly ones post a picture of their fired targets. Some do not post pics.
    Self scorers could cheat, but it makes no diffrence as the prize is of no value.

What if, the very handsome prize (Thanks B.T.) was given to one person who sends in scores regularly, but chosen at random?
    This would encourage more shooters to suffer the embarssment of entering mediocre scores, after the few very skilled, and prepared shooters post their very good targets. Choosing the prize winner at random would also discourage score cheating.

So is this a bench rest competition, or a competition that involves the manly pursuit of field shooting?

Any rifle from $15,000 bench restgun, to handi-rifle?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Vendor Sponsor

Ok.

So define the rules and compitition. This is only my thoughts here. Please feel free to make suggestions. Nothing is in stone.

Distance = 100yrds

Calaber = your choice

Fire arm = anything goes, bolt action, varmint/target rigs, hunting riffle, pistol, semi auto, scoped, open sights, All will be clasified into same catigory.

Rest = Sure! The only thing we are grading is the target, feel free to shoot off hand if that is what you shoot best.

Bullet/projectile = has to be swaged using 22lr/22mag/17hmr cases for jackets. Any weight or style bullet is good to go. No commercial jackets or bullets. Can be bullets you made or made by others. Can be made from any set of dies you wish. For those that do not swage bullets yet, simply post interest here and we will figure out how to get you some bullets to load. Swagers are not allowed to profit from this fun shoot by attempting to sell bullets they made unless they have legal FFL-06 licence. Shooters are responsable for the safty of the loaded round. No liability should fall on the swager that made the projectiles.

Loaded ammo = Obviously has to be reloaded. Not necessarily by the shooter.

Eligibility = anyone can send in target. Encourage relitives, spose, friends, the more the better.

Target =

Target can be downloaded and printed out from this link

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

Scoring Two 5 shot groups and one shot closest to center, three scorable targets total. All on same page in no paticular order. Center of red diamond will determine closest to center "one shot bulls eye." The two 5 shot groups can be anywhere on the page the shooter wishes but I recomend shooting for center of red diamond or center of grey circle. Shooter is free to shoot as many targets/pages as they wish till they are satisfied with one page to send in for scoring. NO SIGHTERS ALLOWED ON SCORABLE TARGET!

(I may be looking into having shooters fold target tightly in thirds with the bulls all lining up and one target exposed, then with their first shot shoot for the grey circle. Then unfold target and proceed to shoot for scores. There is a reason for this but I'm not sure it is needed amungst the honest members of this great sight. Maybe when/if the prizes are more substantial? We shall see.)

Lowest combined total inches for all three targets wins. Example..... one target has a 5 shot group of .500" the second target's 5 shot group is .400" and the third target with the one bullet hole is .200" from center. Add all three numbers together to get total score

.500 + .400 + .200 = final score of 1.100"

Awards I'll look for donations here from other various members and vendors of this sight. I think I can come up with a couple simple small flat rate boxs full of clean 22lr brass, maybe a bag of swaged or simply cast 22 cal cores, simple prizes for the winners.

Any real prizes of signifacant value will be awarded in a drawing with all participents elligable. I'll put one of my 40 cal improved CH one step dies up for a prize to be drawed for in this first shoot. In future shoots I'll have no problem coming up with possible derim dies and even possibly my 11 cavity core molds or other various goodies.

Additional "potential" (depending on # of donated items) scoring/prizes awarded for

Smallest group = group size for one of either of the 5 shot groups

One shot bulls eye = shortest distance from bullet hole to center of target. One shot only.

Deadline How about Feburary 1st 2013 for this first shoot? With hopfully more to follow every two months or sooner depending on interest.

Start time Shooters are ellegable to join in at any time up to the deadline so long as they get targets post marked by deadline date.

I'll determine who shall score the targets, I may vollenter as I consider myself uneligable for any of the prizes.

Shooters are encouraged to post pics, before, durning, or after the compition of anything they wish from the bullets they used to the gun they shot them from to their potential scorable targets.

I encourage all shooters to list all available data on the targets in the lines privided as well as any additional info. This will not only help out fellow shooters in obtaining potetnial accurate load data but also help those that are just getting into the hobby of swaging bullets.

Obviously all standard reloading precautions apply here and any data posted as such to any load data carries the standard precaution, "load was safe in shooter's gun but may not be in yours, work up all loads according to safe reloading practices and precasutions!"

I would like to show everyone interested the potential of these custom bullets we make. I think this has the potentioal to be a lot of fun as well as helpfull to all those interested in swaging their own. There are still many shooters out there that want to make these bullets but for some reason have not taken the first step. It is also an oportunity for those of use that don't get out and shoot enough that need a reason to do so. I challenge you all to show our fellow shooters what these bullets can do.
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 12-03-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by algunjunkie View Post
    Might I suggest that you check out "smack the smiley". A postal contest that is right up your alley. And has everything that you are talking about. Great place to get some ideals.

http://www.smackthesmiley.com/
    Thaks for that info. We'll look into it more in depth as we go I'm sure. Looks like fun. I think we will start off a bit more simplistic first and then possibly move up to a fun looking shoot like that.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

I may actually draw up a custom target in my AutoCad program that may incorperate all the best features of what we are trying to acomplish.

I'll see what I can come up with. Trying to post it online so you all can print it might be a challenge for me.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like fun! I suggest doing a 7 to 10 shot group, as statistically it is a better representation and more data points. Rest of it sounds great. OnTarget software using the ATC method could be used to find the best groups. As long as each target has something to "reference" for length, you would be GTG. BT, you could add that on your target if you are drawing one up.

Boolit Master
    I think it better to have sepperate class for autos instead of a handicap. A well tuned ar needs no handicap.
    For sure though if there are too many classes ther will be single contestents in some.
    Its a tough comprimise. Maybe not a bad idea to just run everyone head to head no matter what they shoot. That way an iron sight shooter against a scope shooter will not expect to out shoot him but can make a good showing.
    I think we did offer a handicap for iron sights in the 22 cb match.
    I tried to stress that it was not all about being the top dog shooter as much as a way to share and compare information.
    Also by having a drawing for some prizes even the iron sight shooter has as much chance as anyone as long as he/she sent in a target.
    I wouldnt go with just group shooting either. By adding the closest to center target with a group target added another dimention to the contest. Sounds easy bet it was a bugger to get both to cooperate.

Do a drawing for all the prizes.. first place winner gets his name in hat 5 times ? second place finisher gets his name in hat 4 times, third place finisher 3 times ???? keep down on cheating and makes it more fun than anything else....Just my 2 cents...Bill
    PMI pistol range USMC 85-89

im looking for these contender pistol barrels--> 6tcu,.30herrett

barrels i have-->.221 fireball,7-30 waters,7tcu,.357 herrett,.44 mag,6.5tcu

There's only 2 people in this world i trust, one of them is me the other one's not you...

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in, don't care about prizes or whatever. I just think it will be a fun way to work on my swaged bullet loads. Need to make it after march though, stillpretty chilly up here. A monthly league is also a good idea.

It will be very interesting too see what swaged bullets will do. I make 6mm bullets.
    Last edited by tbird1960; 11-24-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I'll definatly be getting this shoot up and going very soon. Let me know if you guys find any targets you might wish to suggest we use. I found the 4 free ones online posted above. First thing we will do is agree on a target then we can iron out the finer details.

I think we will simply hold a drawing for all that particapate for any donated prizes. I'm sure I can come up with a 40 or 44 cal one step die, probably a flat rate box full of 22lr brass or 223 rem brass or somthing similar. Probably inquire with other vendors too.

Once we get everything going we can set a deadline. In future I'll want to make it often enough to keep everyone's intrest but spaced out enough to give eveyone time to do whatever is needed or mother nature to coperate. Probably every other month if we can. heck monthly would be fun bu I can afford to give out such prizes every month. Maybe it would be a monthly shoot for bragging rights then a "official" shoot for prizes maybe 3 times a year or so?

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting this up and going.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

I'll definatly be getting this shoot up and going very soon. Let me know if you guys find any targets you might wish to suggest we use. I found the 4 free ones online posted above. First thing we will do is agree on a target then we can iron out the finer details.

I think we will simply hold a drawing for all that particapate for any donated prizes. I'm sure I can come up with a 40 or 44 cal one step die, probably a flat rate box full of 22lr brass or 223 rem brass or somthing similar. Probably inquire with other vendors too.

Once we get everything going we can set a deadline. In future I'll want to make it often enough to keep everyone's intrest but spaced out enough to give eveyone time to do whatever is needed or mother nature to coperate. Probably every other month if we can. heck monthly would be fun bu I can afford to give out such prizes every month. Maybe it would be a monthly shoot for bragging rights then a "official" shoot for prizes maybe 3 times a year or so?

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting this up and going.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy

Where do we sign up?

Vendor Sponsor

Follow this thread for details. I'm still working out the all the finer points.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Might be fun too if the current zombie craze was incorporated into the shoot. Say print out four predecided undead and place them at various distances to simulate an oncoming hoard? Only head shots count!

Boolit Master
    Kinda hard to score zombies.

Boolit Master

Scorer?

I saw pistols listed. Thanks! I am happy to receive and post the targets for this contest, I do not curently swage nor shoot those dificult to conceal long guns.

Good luck to all who enter. This should be duplicated in some fashion for the pistol gang.
    Last edited by DRNurse1; 12-02-2012 at 03:13 AM. Reason: spelling, well fat finger tping

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Vendor Sponsor

I plan to have a pistol shoot too. There are probably more here swaging their own pistol caliber bullets then these 22 cal riffle bullets. Just a matter of figuring out the details and putting it together.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

Ok I think I got a great idea here.

What do you guys think of using this target?

Here is the link to the free target down load.

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

We can do two 5 shot groups and one shot closest to center.

This would give you three attampts at a bulls eye shot, you could pic the best one but then you would have to come back to teh other two targets for your 5 shot "group."

I think this would be a bit more fun/challenging/easier then one 10 shot group.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

I like that target. What distance for the shoot?

Boolit Master

I like the idea of printing our own targets i will keep an eye on this thread as well as on facebook in the swaging page . Might just try with my XP-100 in .221 Fireball As i am not sure about my Rossi in 223 Remington after i "fixed it"!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.