Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Swaging die info

Boolit Buddy

Swaging die info

So I am looking at swaging. I like the idea of being able to make these myself so I am looking for some more info on sourcing the dies. I am looking at doing 30 Cal for a 300 Blackout and 9mm for pistols. The 30 cal being much more important to me. I have emailed BTSniper but I imagine he is busy at the moment dealing with orders with all the insanity going on. I have access to virtually unlimited free or very cheap 9mm and .223 for jacket materials but that is about it and if I have to buy the materials to make the jackets more than likely it will not be economically feasible in the long run. If anyone knows of any products I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Rich

Banned

unless you have a room full of blank jaxkets you are gonna have to buy something.
    brian does make draw dies for using 9m cases to make 308 jaxkets.
    it's a workout on a press though.
    and you still have to make cores.
    you have to think of swaging in the hundreds not in the thousands as it takes a lot of time.
    but you can turn something into just about anything with the right die steps.

Boolit Buddy
    I know I need to make the cores , just have to be able to use some sort of common brass to be able to make the jackets. I will have to look into how long it would take though, with the amount I shoot, even the 30 cal will need 500 per month easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    unless you have a room full of blank jaxkets you are gonna have to buy something.
    brian does make draw dies for using 9m cases to make 308 jaxkets.
    it's a workout on a press though.
    and you still have to make cores.
    you have to think of swaging in the hundreds not in the thousands as it takes a lot of time.
    but you can turn something into just about anything with the right die steps.

Boolit Buddy
    Rich, I think its still much easier to buy .308 jacket than trying to make them, 1st it takes 3 to 4 reducing dies to bring down 9mm to .308 and a beefy press at that, you can use 5.7x28's but they are harder to find and are not that cheap, you can buy RCE jackets for 19.64 for 200 and the amount of work you save is unbeliveable.
    Sprink

Boolit Bub
    I've been looking at this too, let us know how u make out.
    Molon labe!
    NRA Life member
    Appleseed Rifleman
    Can you survive the End of the world? http://BattleRoadUSA.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Hmm looks like I am screwed either way, over 9 cents per jacket is just not in the budget and if we are talking 4+ steps, no way I have that kind of time. This sounded interesting at least but guess it is just not feasible.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkintime View Post
    Rich, I think its still much easier to buy .308 jacket than trying to make them, 1st it takes 3 to 4 reducing dies to bring down 9mm to .308 and a beefy press at that, you can use 5.7x28's but they are harder to find and are not that cheap, you can buy RCE jackets for 19.64 for 200 and the amount of work you save is unbeliveable.
    Sprink

Boolit Master
    It is only feasible if you love to do it or are a tight *** (I am both). It really does pay off. It is not for everyone though. Good luck with what you chose to do!
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Bub
    I don't think you can try to justify swageing bullets on "saving" money. High quality bullets can be bought fairly reasonable. Just for the cost of the equipment, a person can buy thousands of bullets. However; all hobbies consume resources. One must decide if this is what they want to expend their resources on. Some hobbies all of these resources are used without any end product. As mentioned previously, think in hundreds of bullets. What satisfaction would it be if your bullets shot equal or better to factory ones?

Boolit Buddy
    cba257 "What satisfaction would it be if your bullets shot equal or better to factory ones?" 'At's my reason. Perhaps it's crass and crude but that feeling one gets when you put your thumb to your nose and wiggle your fingers and say " neener-neener-neener"......................priceless. I can sometimes do it with my cast but I want to do it with jacketed also. Just another hurdle. I get so much more from my shooting when I'm actually making the thing I'm slinging down range. Printing a great group is "okay" when shooting store bought but when I've made the thingie that made those holes my chest swells just a wee bit more. I got into casting for everything I shoot in the '80s when shooting silly-wet pistol. The guy I practiced with shot cast and was matching me hit for hit. He asked me what I paid for my bullets. I told him. Not only was he making his own boolits BUT he was trading his aluminum beer cans in for lead. Drink more beer to get the cans to trade for lead and shoot for almost free? A deal made in heaven. I was casting within a month. I want to do as much of that as I can with swaging. Wheel and deal and trade for the jacket material and shoot for the price of primers and powder. Oh, and of course the neener-neener thing also.
    And then there's "the man". When they control gun sales I'm sure they'll control ammo sales also. No bullets,no shooting. Just sayin'. Supe

P S Clean and sober for well over 10 yrs now so money is not the determining factor. It's pride now.

Boolit Bub
    Yep I got into casting to save $ but want to swage my own 223 30 cal in case Gvm't starts messing with ammo tax etc.
    Molon labe!
    NRA Life member
    Appleseed Rifleman
    Can you survive the End of the world? http://BattleRoadUSA.com/

Boolit Master

Swaging will not save you any money if that is your motivation then you best RUN. However if you want to shoot a jacketed bullet and you can't find one to buy. Swaging is a great alternative. All I can say is I have bullets to load when lots of people are waiting for a shipment to come in. Because of all the panic buying that has been going on. I have bullets you may or may not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
    So I am looking at swaging. I like the idea of being able to make these myself so I am looking for some more info on sourcing the dies. I am looking at doing 30 Cal for a 300 Blackout and 9mm for pistols. The 30 cal being much more important to me. I have emailed BTSniper but I imagine he is busy at the moment dealing with orders with all the insanity going on. I have access to virtually unlimited free or very cheap 9mm and .223 for jacket materials but that is about it and if I have to buy the materials to make the jackets more than likely it will not be economically feasible in the long run. If anyone knows of any products I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Rich
    "ksouthar" on this forum is looking to a sell a set of used dies for 9mm by one of the Corbin Clan. They are $600.00 USED. Theses also need to be used with one of the corbin presses which would be another four or five hundred dollars. Not trying to scare you, BUT SWAGING AIN'T CHEAP.

I got into it because about a year ago I couldn't find jacketed bullets in the weight I want for my Desert Eagle that will not shoot lead. $1200.00 later I can make soft point bullets that are truely devastating in just about any weight I want.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I am surely seeing the trend here. I was hoping I would be able to get into something I find interesting and would allow me to make great stuff for a good price but it doesn't look like that is in the cards. In order to keep up with the amount I want to shoot I would need to make 500 of these a month easy. No way I could bite on 1000+ startup costs seeing as how in the last two months I have just gone through my shooting budget for the next two years and the AR isn't even done yet and powder and primers for it are not yet purchased. 10 cent jackets won't work either, for the amount I want to shoot I need the entire round to cost that much or less. Cannot justify the time either since I can barely keep up with loading for the caliber I do now and I am starting casting for the 9mm in the next month or so. Looks like I will need to figure out cast in the new rifle. Rarely am I this wrong when looking at a subject like this but wow, I was horribly underestimating the time and equipment costs of doing this. Appreciate you guys setting me straight on it though, saves me from having to do any more research and asking a bunch more questions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    "ksouthar" on this forum is looking to a sell a set of used dies for 9mm by one of the Corbin Clan. They are $600.00 USED. Theses also need to be used with one of the corbin presses which would be another four or five hundred dollars. Not trying to scare you, BUT SWAGING AIN'T CHEAP.

I got into it because about a year ago I couldn't find jacketed bullets in the weight I want for my Desert Eagle that will not shoot lead. $1200.00 later I can make soft point bullets that are truely devastating in just about any weight I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
    Cannot justify the time either since I can barely keep up with loading for the caliber I do now and I am starting casting for the 9mm in the next month or so. Looks like I will need to figure out cast in the new rifle. Rarely am I this wrong when looking at a subject like this but wow, I was horribly underestimating the time and equipment costs of doing this. Appreciate you guys setting me straight on it though, saves me from having to do any more research and asking a bunch more questions.

Thanks
    Although I do not own one and have never used one, you may want to look into a check maker. I have read threads where guys have used every from soda cans to copper flashing in one of theses. Although I think they are over $100. for a good one It is still a far cry from what it cost per caliber for swaging.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    That is actually something I was planning on looking into. Thanks for the reminder, Think I will go over to the proper section of the forum and see what I can dig up and ask some questions

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Although I do not own one and have never used one, you may want to look into a check maker. I have read threads where guys have used every from soda cans to copper flashing in one of theses. Although I think they are over $100. for a good one It is still a far cry from what it cost per caliber for swaging.

Boolit Mold
    where swaging come in is making stuff you cant find commercially. Like this, for the 300 BLK.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0651ln.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	56939

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0676yi.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	56940

Boolit Buddy
    maybe i/m all wet on this one but wouldn/t a 30 carbine case work for a 308 jacket? THey are straight walled and long enough.
    you can buy 30 cal jackets from J4 and sierra J4 has them is several lengths so does sierra. there ar 30 cal dies made by CH also.
    If you want professional grade {target bullets] then it will cost a few thousand to get set up. sometimes used 30 cal bullets dies are sold on Ebay.
    THe B A dies are tool steel and a great buy, when you can find them.