Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anything going on with 327 Fed Mag?

Boolit Grand Master

Anything going on with 327 Fed Mag?

I haven't heard anything lately from anyone (pro or con) concerning the aforementioned "super" 32 revolver. I just got news the rebored barrel had made it to my gunsmith to build my S&W stainless "K32" and am starting to think about reloads. Anybody got any comments or input? Inquiring minds...

Froggie

PS I went on and bought 1000 StarLine cases for it and have bullets cast from 95-120 grains as well as a supply of primers and powder (Bullseye and Titegroup among others) so I'm ready to load some mild and some hot loads.

Boolit Master
    Well, the people at buffalo Bore have a nice set (pair) of loads for it. It seems as if a decent four-inch barreled revolver would make for one #ell of a trail gun. Handling a total of four different cartridges would seem to be a great asset. While not much, the .32 S&W will rout garden pests without much noise. The .32 S&W Long is a real tack driver, a wonderful "pelt" cartridge at short ranges. The .32 H&R Magnum is fine for larger pests that must be taken at longer ranges, and with a 7 1/2" barrel the .327 Federal can (at 25-50 yards) even be used to harvest larger rodents (smaller deer.)

If you want the longer barreled revolver, you need to find a S&W Model 16-4 (chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum) with a 6" barrel can have it's cylinder easily relieved to accept the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge. This modification has been performed more than once with no adverse effects. I have long wanted to have a revolver like that.

Good luck in your quest.

Scott

Boolit Master

I just checked the Ruger website. Looks like they are down to a single model (GP100) in 327 Mag. The 48 oz. Blackhawk version has apparently bitten the dust. Unexpectedly!

Moderator Emeritus

I am happy with the 4" Charter Arms Target Patriot 327 fed with factory ammo. My ss 32 outshoots it with cast. I need to do some work with it but right now it is on the back burner.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I didn't make myself clear. I am already in the process of building a 4" stainless version of the K32. It is based on an early Model 66 (no dash) with a custom rebored 4" barrel and custom rebored cylinder (both from Model 617 parts.) That part is already in the works. I also have purchased one of the Ruger stainless 8 shot Blackhawk SA revolvers in 327 FM. I should have the S&W within a month or so and already have the Ruger... as well as all of the components mentioned. Now I'm looking for some folks' experiences with loading this rather new cartridge for revolvers purpose built to take advantage of its potential. I will look for the Buffalo Bore loadings. gunfan... are they factory loads or recipes to use their bullets? BTW Scott, you left out the semi-rimmed 32 ACP which I will also be able to fire in this gun, should I want to.

So once again, does anyone have any tried-and-true loadings to suggest for the 327 FM? Inquiring minds like mine want to know!

Froggie

I'm A Honcho!
    Look in the active group buys section for the 32 Sixgun Sledgehammer. Over on Singleactions.com you will find quite a few 32/327 Federal threads as well.

Boolit Master
    Some of the favored American Eagle 100-grain loads perform well. Buffalo Bore ammunition is high performance fodder.

Scott

Moderator Emeritus

With initial findings my gun likes a gc over pb. The mold that best fits is a 115 gr NOE I have run with H110 and WC820. I have a bbl restriction that will need some action.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the two inch taurus revolvers and like it quite a lot. With the 100 gr american eagle loads it's quite punchy. The 85 american eagle is ok. I have dies for it, just never shot out enough brass to make a run of ammo for it. I wish S&W made a nice little 6 shot K frame with an adjustable sight in 4 or 6". This is a round that had promise they just marketed it totally wrong. It's better served in a revolver as I just described or a light little lever action carbine with about a 16" bbl. That would have sold.

Ebner

Nice rabbit gun......
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    I have one of the two inch taurus revolvers and like it quite a lot. With the 100 gr american eagle loads it's quite punchy. The 85 american eagle is ok. I have dies for it, just never shot out enough brass to make a run of ammo for it. I wish S&W made a nice little 6 shot K frame with an adjustable sight in 4 or 6". This is a round that had promise they just marketed it totally wrong. It's better served in a revolver as I just described or a light little lever action carbine with about a 16" bbl. That would have sold.

Ebner
    Absolutely! The .327 Federal Magnum is best served in either a longer barreled revolver or an 18" carbine. The 100-115 and 120-grain bullets make this .32 a real contender.

Yes, pdawg shooter, the .327 can be "watered down" to act as a rabbit shooter. The .32 S&W Long serves well in this respect.

Scott

The .327 FM is an answer looking for a question.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    The .327 Fed Mag supersedes the old .32-20 in both operating pressures and case strength, while manintainong the inherent accuracy of the .32. When loaded to it's maximum pressure levels, the Fed Mag handily outruns the .32-20. With the capability of handling the shorter cartridges (.32 S&W, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum.) You can't do this with the .32-20. I believe that the round answers more than one question.

This was a query you simply didn't wish to ask, while others have. If you don't want it, fine. Others desired a small-bore cartridge with impressive versatility. It isn't for everyone.

Scott

Boolit Master
    I am open to the idea of the cartridge but I have not yet seen it offered in a gun that I like. I would like it (if I could afford one ) in something dimentioned like the Colt Police Posative Special I have in 32/20.
    Everything I have seen is either too small or too big to be a good general purpose sporting arm which is where my interest would be.
    For that purpose the Ruger single six 32 mag is about perfect in size and weight. Also personally I dont care for the idea of adding chambers to a cylinder/frame that is over size for the cartridge. 7, 8, and 9 shot revolvers just grate me the wrong way. Not bad mouthing it just saying me personaly I dont like it.
    Give me a revolver (prefer single action) in which the cylinder and frame are dimentioned properly to hold 6 rounds of the 32 Fed cartridge with nothing extra in size or weight other than choice of barrel length and I would be quite satisfied with the whole package of gun and cartridge.
    If there is such a thing being made I have not yet seen it but I would like to.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I am open to the idea of the cartridge but I have not yet seen it offered in a gun that I like. I would like it (if I could afford one ) in something dimentioned like the Colt Police Posative Special I have in 32/20.
    Everything I have seen is either too small or too big to be a good general purpose sporting arm which is where my interest would be.
    For that purpose the Ruger single six 32 mag is about perfect in size and weight. Also personally I dont care for the idea of adding chambers to a cylinder/frame that is over size for the cartridge. 7, 8, and 9 shot revolvers just grate me the wrong way. Not bad mouthing it just saying me personaly I dont like it.
    Give me a revolver (prefer single action) in which the cylinder and frame are dimentioned properly to hold 6 rounds of the 32 Fed cartridge with nothing extra in size or weight other than choice of barrel length and I would be quite satisfied with the whole package of gun and cartridge.
    If there is such a thing being made I have not yet seen it but I would like to.
    I understand. I'm not one for 6,7,8, or 9 rounds in a cylinder (.22 long rifle cartridges not withstanding.) I would like a 6-round "K"-frame Smith & Wesson Model 16-4 with the cylinder relieved to accept the .327. After that, I'd like to have the action slicked-up and have the entire pistol finished in electroless nickel-plating. I really want two of them. One with a 4" barrel and one with a 6" tube.

Scott

Boolit Master
    I like to play with 32's. While searching for a good stout second hand 32 I found a Tauras 327 brand new for about $275. Heck, I had already been beat out of an older S&W for 280. So far it has been OK. I doubt I'll ever load it to high pressure.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Buddy
    I had a ruger blackhawk. I had Tom at accurate make me a mold. My goal was to have a long range revolver with low recoil (just for hitting steel plates). That boolit was very accurate with Lil gun. I also tried the Noe 118 314640 and the Noe 313316 GC. but the mold Tom made smoked them all. I could only push it to 1150 before I got leading. But for a 150gr boolit that wasnt to bad. Then in the process I found the little 32 H&R in the ruger single six and I sold the blackhawk and all my 327 stuff. The 327 was a very loud gun for when I am just hiking in the hills and dont have hearing protection. I would love to see someone come out with a leveraction 327.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-150B-D.png

Bardo

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    The question is what can outperforms a 38 special and can also be shot for less cost than a 22 lr with cast handloads

Boolit Master

You can shoot a .357 Magnum for that kind of cost (when you don't have to buy primers at panic buying "gouge me again" prices), but it's ballistically about like a .22 Magnum (.360 round ball or 000 buck shot over small load of fast powder). Heck, I can shoot my Mosin Nagant at about that cost level, too (sized 00 buck or .315 round ball, or 90 grain SWC, mouse fart powder load -- brass lasts forever with loads like that), yet surplus ammo will just about drop a Jeep.

Boolit Master
    MT Gianni: Don't worry, some people need to ridicule what they don't like, or understand. IMHO, if they don't like or want it, BUZZ OFF! :P

Scott