Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: SPP210 Powder

SPP210 Powder

I recently purchased some of this powder from Wideners. It is alot cheaper than IMR4198 which it is supposed to be like. On their website there is an article about his range session with loads using this powder. He says to use IMR 4198 data. I made some loads up for my Krag. My usual load is 23gr and a 314299 sized .312. When I ran them across the chronograph it came up consistenly 200 fps slower than my usual load around 1800 fps. So I believe I will run a batch at 24gr and 25gr to see if I can get the velocity up to where my usual load is and get the accuracy of the previous load. Though accuracy was pretty good with the new powder. Anyone ever use this powder and how have you liked it?
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Bub
    Not much info out there. It definitely seems faster than 4198. I loaded 20.0gr on a 55gr and chronod 2500fps out of a 14.5" Ar. And 1900fps out of a 7.5" Ar. I plan to jump to 22-23gr maybe compressed to get any respectible velocity.

I was using it in my 6x45 with 55gr Nosler bullets, and Nosler's data for 4198, which showed a max of 23.5gr. Burn rate seemed to match up pretty good with 4198. At Nosler's max load, there wasn't enough port pressure to operate the rifle length system, too fast burning. One small step beyond the max listed load, I got full function, but I also got marks from the cases extruding into the ejector hole.

In my Krag I've not used it much as I generally use slower burning powders. What loads I did try were below listed maximums for 4198, but they produced too much pressure for my alloy. Accuracy wasn't good and I wasn't getting the velocity I was after.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

I have been using it in my 38-55 with very good results. It does seem a touch hotter than 4198 though, I think I dropped the load maybe 1.5 grains to match the speeds with 4198. It is a good powder for black powder duplication loads in 38-55 and 45-70, haven't tried it in others yet but it should work there too. Also works well for full loads in the 500 S&W.

-Nobade

Ruger No.1-MATCO barrel 30-30 Win
    16.2 grains, RCBS 180 SP 10 shots into 1 3/4 inch 100 yards

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using the SPP210 in 30-06, 7.5X55 Swiss and 7.62X54R utilizing the 4198 load data. Bullet weights of 160-210gr. Accuracy seems to be the same as my normal loads of 4759 and 2400 but I have also been experiencing hangfires occasionally. Anybody else have that happen? My normal loads are 18-22gr and accuracy went away above 23gr.

Well your hangfires are probably not due to cold weather.

I have only shot about 230 rounds with SPP210 but they have all been with either Win Large Rifle Mag or Fed Mag (215) primers and no hangfires.

Boolit Buddy
    I've fired about 600 rounds in the calibers mentioned with SPP210. Tried Wolf LR, Tula LR, CCI #34, Winchester LR and Magtech LR primers all with some hangfires. Also tried Fed 9 1/2M and Winchester LRM with still the occasional hangfire but not as often. I'm of the opinion that this powder is either hard to light or I have a slightly defective batch.

Charlie

Mine were all in the 30-30 Win case. Maybe the smaller case has less of a problem with hangfires.

Never had the hangfire phenomena with the powder, but then I think I also used magnum primers for all but the 6x45 loads, which used GI spec. Still have some of the powder, I'll be sure not to use it with the weak Tula unleaded primers I have. Only 4800 to go!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I have been using it in my 38-55 with very good results. It does seem a touch hotter than 4198 though, I think I dropped the load maybe 1.5 grains to match the speeds with 4198. It is a good powder for black powder duplication loads in 38-55 and 45-70, haven't tried it in others yet but it should work there too. Also works well for full loads in the 500 S&W.

-Nobade
    I had been searching this thread on google and I saw this statement. Care to expand on that? Do you have any loads you're trying it on? Currently I'm using Lil'Gun for my 500 mag loads, pushing them to about 1400-1600fps w/ 440gr cast gc. I'd love to see some load data for 500 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
    I had been searching this thread on google and I saw this statement. Care to expand on that? Do you have any loads you're trying it on? Currently I'm using Lil'Gun for my 500 mag loads, pushing them to about 1400-1600fps w/ 440gr cast gc. I'd love to see some load data for 500 mag.
    I just sent you a PM with the details, but basically just fill 'er up and put the boolit on top. Can't overload the 500 with this powder, and it gives rather good ballistics with fairly low pressure in that cartridge. Refer to this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-My-new-hammer
    for lots of conversation on the subject.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Found this thread far too late. Is this powder all dried up? Only thing I shoot right now that uses lots of powder (besides Holy Black) is 4198 pistol loads (460).

SPP210 was sold by Wideners but I don't see it now on their web page, perhaps email them.

You guys with the hangfires must've got something different from what I got. Too bad there's no lot # info on the jug. mustangt reports lower than 4198 velocities, but nobade reports going down in charge weight to match 4198 velocities. As I posted elsewhere, works darn good in my K31 and today the best group of the day out of my Krag was 28gr of SPP under a Nosler 168, fired with a Federal 210. Three Xs and two tens on the SR-1 target, 100yds, iron sights, couple of the shots in the X touching. Wish I had a chronograph, no idea of the speed, but guessing 2100-2200. I know 25.7 gives me 2000 out of my K31 with a 164gr Eagan. I'd think 2.3gr more in the 30-40, which has less capacity, ought to give me a bit more with the thinly jacketed match bullet. After much digging around I found that RUAG markets some reduced .308 loads, called Swiss P, that's probably loaded with this powder, and it looks an awful lot like Vectan TU2000. I know, can't go by looks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krag loads 002.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	75035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krag loads 003.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	75036
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 07-01-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added photo

-Thomas Jefferson