RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet coating part II

Boolit Master
    Gas checked 22 cal I am guessing....looks and sounds interesting....give a range report once you have given them a shot...
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Ok, had a chance to shoot some today and at first wasn't too happy as it is clear that the coating was rubbed off in the rifling.

So I decided to see how they compared with precision bullets side by side. Kind of shocked that they did better than the Precision bullets that I have shot thousands of.

Guess I will try sizing some of these after coating, as that is what is recommended, if that doesn't work I might try a 3rd coat.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, since your popular auto annealer build, now you need to post your bullet tumbler build!

OK Jmo what were you shooting it through? Barrel and so on. Any one else seeing this? Was just about to drop some bucks on this set up and would like to know. Was there any leading in the barrel?
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

I shot them out of my SVI that has a Schuemann AET barrel and I only shot the two rounds today to recover them. I will run them in the match this weekend (150~180 rounds) and take before and after photos of the bore.

The Powder coat in my first bullet coat thread, I thought held up better but is a much slower process. I have been shooting Precision Bullets for a decade and have been happy with them, so I am glad the very first batch held up better than them.

The bullet tumbler is in the first post, Just a hand held paint bucket/liners from home depot hooked to a gear motor, nothing fancy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Ok, had a chance to shoot some today and at first wasn't too happy as it is clear that the coating was rubbed off in the rifling.

So I decided to see how they compared with precision bullets side by side. Kind of shocked that they did better than the Precision bullets that I have shot thousands of.

Guess I will try sizing some of these after coating, as that is what is recommended, if that doesn't work I might try a 3rd coat.
    Hi,
    The results are very interesting.
    What you are seeing, is that the lines that had formed where rifling has taken a shaving off the alloy, you will not stop such activity.
    You are asking coatings to resist sharp knife like cutting action as per the lines on alloy.
    The shaved lines done by rifling may be a contribution of several factors,
    1. Incorrect diameter, Not sized to correct diameter after final coating
    2. Alloy hardness not suitable.
    3. Powder loading

The surfaces, where the coating has been sliding in the barrel is intact with both coatings, possibly slightly better results with the hi-tek.
    I did not see any heat effects on ends of projectiles with your coated alloys. It would be great to see what happens with ends of projectiles after each has been shot.
    The projectiles need to be sized to suit gun after last coating is done and cured.
    Joe

What was the BHN of the rounds? Joe what is the recommended BHN for the Boolit?

I realized after trying the Precision bullets that my expectations could have been too high, it isn't a jacket after all. I have also been happy with the results from precision bullets for a long time.

I also didn't size after final coating as I noted. What is the "build" of the coating at its best? The process I am using is only .0015".

The load was 3.7g of Clays with the coated 230. Actually 232 dropped out of the magma mold. So it also could be slightly soft. Silver solder drops out at 210g and pure lead falls at 240+ IIRC.

I am not knocking the coating at all just likely had too high expectations after the powder coat experiment. Still much faster with decent results.

The base of the projectiles was unremarkable, looked better than the inside of the case.

I think it would be fine for indoor use. Did you get my PM for an MSDS Joe?

On a side note, have you ever tried coating the inside of a barrel with it?

Boolit Master
    The important question is, did you get any leading?

Regardless if it strips some of the coating if it shoots with acceptable accuracy and doesn't lead then mission accomplished.

In for the before and after pics from the match.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I realized after trying the Precision bullets that my expectations could have been too high, it isn't a jacket after all. I have also been happy with the results from precision bullets for a long time.

I also didn't size after final coating as I noted. What is the "build" of the coating at its best? The process I am using is only .0015".

The load was 3.7g of Clays with the coated 230. Actually 232 dropped out of the magma mold. So it also could be slightly soft. Silver solder drops out at 210g and pure lead falls at 240+ IIRC.

I am not knocking the coating at all just likely had too high expectations after the powder coat experiment. Still much faster with decent results.

The base of the projectiles was unremarkable, looked better than the inside of the case.

I think it would be fine for indoor use. Did you get my PM for an MSDS Joe?
    Hi Thanks for details.
    I did send you the MSDS as requested.
    I am having a great deal of problems with my emails with current supplier. I have established a new email address, where I can send emails with more confidence.
    This is, jandmspecializedproducts@gmail.com.
    Please send me a message on this and I will again re-send.
    Which MSDS do you require? We have one for the coating, and another for cured system.
    The cured system MSDS has the test results of Lead emission tests done by independent environmental engineering company.
    Joe

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    What was the BHN of the rounds? Joe what is the recommended BHN for the Boolit?
    Hi,
    Thanks for contact,
    I do not understand your question, Can you please clarify what you wish for me to supply?

The ideal range for hardness of the boolit before the coating. I will be making 9 , 40 and 45. I'm pre casting now in advance of Bayou's next shipment. I don't want to make 35k of rounds that are to soft or to hard.

Love Life
    A very interesting thin here. TES brings up a good question. How important is alloy hardness when using this coating? Do you have to have a specific BHN or alloy to utilize this coating? If not this would be great stuff to have around. It would eliminate having to have that specific alloy for what operating pressures you are working with.

However slump may still be an issue...

Thoughts?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    A very interesting thin here. TES brings up a good question. How important is alloy hardness when using this coating? Do you have to have a specific BHN or alloy to utilize this coating? If not this would be great stuff to have around. It would eliminate having to have that specific alloy for what operating pressures you are working with.
    However slump may still be an issue...

Thoughts?

Hi
    I surveyed several of my local cast manufacturers here.
    They advised that they have successfully used coating on every type of Lead from scrap to hard alloyed Lead types.
    Many are using the coating on Sub-sonic applications with scrap non alloyed Lead.
    I saw an advertisement from US manufacturer, that was offering a special Lead alloy that was claimed as being able to be shot at 3100ft/sec. This is with lube they recomend.
    I really would like that alloy to be coated, sized and shot at that speed and determine if it really stands up to what was claimed previously by a manufacturer, who had shot alloyed Lead at that speed, and with our coating as lubricant.
    I do not know if any one is using such ammo at that speed for normal use.
    (Although as a rethink, what is normal use???)
    I have had tests done recently at 2700ft/sec with 92:6:2 alloy with Brinnell hardness I think of about 15-18.
    Joe
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 05-01-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Whew..dodged one....he he...Sorry JM for hijacking. Thanks for the reply Joe.

Love Life
    Who was the bullet manufacturer that shot bullets with this coating at jacket velocities? I would love to try it out in 308. Anybody using this coating want to coat some bullets for me to try? I'll pay all necessary expenses.

Just shoot me a PM

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Love Life;2196518]Who was the bullet manufacturer that shot bullets with this coating at jacket velocities? I would love to try it out in 308. Anybody using this coating want to coat some bullets for me to try? I'll pay all necessary expenses.

The company was our customer in Australia.
    They are no longer our customer due to some very questionable activities.
    Despite them telling me about their success, they did not supply any other information aside that it worked.
    I was advised by several Australian manufacturers who use the coatings, that they had also coated Copper coated and Jacketed ammo successfully. I did not get any details of what type of guns it was used with.
    What I have tried to explain to many, that as I am not directly involved with buyers of cast ammo, I do not get opportunity to get information that I can publish. Manufacturers and users of my coatings also seem to guard their information output. I suppose it is to protect their market.

Generally, the only time I get any one discussing the coatings when they require information over and above what is published, such as tell me the formula, what is your coating, and along similar lines.
    Just recently, a blogger called me a fool, when I suggested that cast alloy can be fired at 3100ft/sec.
    It was alleged that this cannot be done. However, alloy such as this, is sold in US and possibly elsewhere, and does not have my coating on it and is recomended that it can be used at that speed.
    What I do know for certain is that the coating does not melt or become sticky at elevated temperatures and generally bonds very strongly to Lead alloys. If it does not come off with firing at 2600ft/sec it may be assumed that it should also not come off at 3100 speed.
    It would be great if any one can take the trouble to test it and report results.
    Joe

Whew..dodged one....he he...Sorry JM for hijacking. Thanks for the reply Joe.
    M
    Here to learn, no hijack that I can see.

Never tried to "catch" a rifle bullet Joe, think I would need a deeper pool.

well its likely to disintegrate if shot into water. Wood pulp and gelatin might work. If its long enough.