WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandpa wants to shoot glue/wax boolits in the shop.

Nobody mentioned that done properly wax boolits are very accurate! I had a batch of boolit lube based on paraffin that sucked as boolit lube. It shot well as boolits! With a bit of lanolin or vasolene the wax is not as grainy and holds together better when cutting. I always cut with the case.
    One other thing, use fired cases that have not been resized as the fit the cylinder closer and keep junk from migrating back.
    And, Grandad will laugh like he hasnt in a long time!
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I shoot 9mm, 38SP, and 45LC all the time in the garage using HMG boolits cast in my regular molds. I put a 1/4" steel ball in the mold (Daisy slingshot ammo from WalMart) and use mag primers. For a real "kick" add about 1.6g powder! Still is no louder than slamming 2 big text books together.

And, no..............casting HMG in your boolit molds does NOT ruin the mold. Just wash it out with laq thinner after casting because you need to use PAM as a mold lube. And the mold must be cold. I use ice to cool it down.

Have been doing this for years with great success. Much more accurate than cookie-cut wax in a pan or cut-off glue sticks! Will NOT cycle in semi's so you need to do a little work after each round.

You can load them in your clips just like the real thing!

Watch out for the fumes. Primers and powder have nasty stuff to breathe in a confined space, so insure good ventilation.

And drill out the primer holes ONLY if used in a revolver because the primer will back out and jam the cylinder. Mark those so you will never use for the real thing! I use red Sharpies in the end.

bangerjim

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Pellet pistol. You can still get pellets and pellet traps. Or Airsoft, it's more fun than you might think, the pistols are good, and really safe indoors (no primer residue to be breathing while cooped up in a small space presumably sealed-up for the winter).

Gear
    +1 on that. I have a glock 17 airsoft repro I use to practice draws and reloads with small metal popper in my backyard. It takedown like a real one, the mags are the size of a real one and the slide even works when you shoot it and lock when the mag's empty.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    a small rifle magnum primer will penetrate the metal garage door and crack the headlight lense on a 2002 chevy malibu.
    R5R, you lead an exciting, and charmed, life! You are still able to discuss the issue, forked end down, &cetera...

As someone said, 'Good decisions come from experience - experience often comes from bad decisions'.

And I remember when the Bexar County Sheriff (San Antonio) quelled a prison riot by shooting some of the prisoners with wax boolits. DANG! They found that wax boolits HURT when they hit! Didn't penetrate, but STUNG, and it HURT! DANG! They obediantly filed back into their cells...
    Last edited by Echo; 06-16-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)