Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 74 of 130 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384124 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2590

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

CS I haven't shot enough yet, It's been raining so much, haven't had the opportunity. I will shoot 300 or so by the weekend and post my results[3 diff 9mm's, S&W, Tarus, Marlin camp 9].
    I wanted to try the gas check way and see what happens, Haven't shot them yet. I drilled a bunch of holes in a piece of aluminum and set them in there and sprayed them. The others were set on Hex screw heads and sprayed.All the powder is HF stuff. Doesn't seem to make much difference what color it is for the piglet method. I like RED Boolits!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by sly mantis View Post
    what HF powders gives the best results with piglet method? From the sounds of it some work better than others.
    I have tried ALL 4 colors using every solvent I can dream up! NONE of them work nearly as well as the ES gun. Liquid coating leaves globs, streaks, thin spots, and lay marks....and usually takes 2-3 ten minute bake sessions from what I have seen. The HF gun does an excellent job providing total & even coverage and a smooth professional finish that is hard as nails.

And requires only ONE coat & bake! I turn out about 150-200 slugs (depending on cal) each batch. That is about 20 minutes total time.

I would highly recommend the HF or Eastwood gun method to anyone getting into this no-lube coating method.

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Get some 1/4" short nuts to put those boolits on. Even with the non stick foil I was getting flashing on the base that needed to be trimmed off. I only use the non-stick foil for the non- hollow point boolits. The hollow point boolits are a breeze to get perfect with a pin jig.

I drilled a plate for the .22 boolits this last week to spray some MiHec 65 grain 5.56 boolits, and those came out great! I think you will like the results you get with this method.
    XACEX do you have some pictures by change of the .22 set up ??/ I am getting ready to try ther 70 gr NOE and would like to see your results

thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cstrickland View Post
    XACEX do you have some pictures by change of the .22 set up ??/ I am getting ready to try ther 70 gr NOE and would like to see your results

thanks
    Sorry, I didn't take a picture of that one, but I will tell you about it. It is one of the plates in this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oat-jig-thread with the holes drilled between the 30 cal holes in rows of three. I cant remember the bit size off hand, but pick one that is about the shank size, and less than a quarter inch to set them in. Worked great! Here are some results. The 30 cal and 223 were done this way, and the 50 cal were put on tin foil and sprayed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130815_225733.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	79907

Sorry, using up all my zombie green.

Nice Job!

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, I didn't take a picture of that one, but I will tell you about it. It is one of the plates in this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oat-jig-thread with the holes drilled between the 30 cal holes in rows of three. I cant remember the bit size off hand, but pick one that is about the shank size, and less than a quarter inch to set them in. Worked great! Here are some results. The 30 cal and 223 were done this way, and the 50 cal were put on tin foil and sprayed.

are you gas checking the boolits after powder coating ?? I was wondering if you could get by with out coating the gas check area, and if you would see elading from that are as a result.

Boolit Master
    Yes the boolits are gas checked after P/C with exception of the 50 cal boolits. I gas checked and sized those first so I could bump up the size again with the P/C. In a gas gun I would gas check, or powder coat the entire boolit, and not have an exposed base.

I have probably asked this before, but what mould did you use to make those hollow point .300 Blackout boolits?

I prefer to check, coat, size my 30 cal. I use a larger sizer to install the checks. Cleaned the AR 308 carbine this morning after 3 range trips shooting PCd. The last trip was max H335 jacketed load under 165 GC cast, ~ 2400fps. Virtually nothing to clean. 1st #9 wet patch, then a dry one - nothing much on either. Finished just with an oil patch. BCG was clean also. Probably 200 rnds since last cleaning. Previous shot 20 rnds @ 50 into a 2" group, 2240 fps. This time ~2400fps, 12/20 into 2" @ 100, 3" high.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Page 67 post #1328. Yup, asked about it before, but it was a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I posted a picture in this thread with them loaded in the blackout yet.

Popper I like the sound of that... oh and also the fps! Sounds very promising.

Garyshome - primers looked ok but I think it's about as fast as it will go with this powder in the carbine. Got to turn the gas down so I can handle the recoil. Going to coat some harder alloy and compare, try a little slower powder and call it a day. Then I'll drop back to finding the accuracy load. Then an adjustable GB for the 24" upper and test it.
    Whatever!

Page 67 post #1328. Yup, asked about it before, but it was a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I posted a picture in this thread with them loaded in the blackout yet.

Okay, sorry about asking again.

I went ahead and welded some "feet" to my plate:

1. To straighten it out or take the bow out of it

2. When it is flipped right side up, and the boolits's noses are pushed through it, the nose sticks out below, through the plate, so having the feet gives it enough height where the noses will clear.

Here is my plate, upside down:

Then here is the plate right side up with some piglet coated 9's, some still in need of sizing .40's, and .45 SWC's, with some Hornady .45 230 grain lead round noses in the back (just to demonstrate how my LRN's will stand up when I cast my own):

Boolit Master
    I think that will work great if not for the base up coating, for gas check rifle boolits if the holes are small enough.

I think that will work great if not for the base up coating, for gas check rifle boolits if the holes are small enough.
    I don't have any rifle moulds, that's why I keep asking about yours. So when I do get a .308ish mould, it will be a hollow point one like yours. I have some more of that metal. Way back when, when I used to do metal studs and drywall, we had a special kind of fine thread black drywall screw that had cutting tips on it like a self tapping sheet metal screw. We called those screws "cutters". So that is what I plan on doing for the next sheet once I get a rifle mould in. The sheet above is drilled a 1.5" on centers. I will go to 1 inch centers for the screws on the next one.

Anybody try pop rivets dropped into a hole yet. Should be easy to replace & first coating would hold the semi-permanent in place.
    Whatever!

^ ^ ^ That sounds like a very good idea.

Boolit Bub
    Is the funky smell these produce while shooting a concern? I know in the harbor freight instructions it mentions baking in a ventilated oven.

Boolit Man
    I wouldnt breath it in any more than i had to. Also dont bake in an oven that will be used for food prep.

Funky smell from Powder Coat? I haven't noticed that, I certainly do with HT though