Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOE Mould problem..

Boolit Buddy

NOE Mould problem..

I have a problematic mould. Its the 247gr .300 Blackout mould I have tried casting three times with it and no luck.

I'm getting poor fallout / wrinkles in the lube grooves...How frustrating. Each time I washed the cavities with brake cleaner...Pre-heated / lubed with bull plate and still the problem persists.

One thing I'm doing differently its 3 cavity mould and I'm casting with 2 cavities because I don't use the hollow point third one...

I have great luck with other NOE moulds but this one is a stubborn one..

Any ideas?

Turn up the heat to 775-800. Use a good thermometer like the RCBS. You will need a hard alloy like linotype to work with that fast twist.

Boolit Master
    Alloy? Alloy temp? You may need more heat and faster cast rate with that 3rd cavity empty !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    Alloy temp is at 700....I think the alloy is 98-1-1 I'm not sure as I buy the lead from local place that sells plated lead bullets..

Same casting session I used 3 cavity NOE mould 198gr .30 cal boolits. Perfect boolits from first cast.

Hence my confusion with the 247gr mould...

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    If your temp is hot, of both mold and alloy....... Is the sprue plate too tight? With a bigger boolit, there is a lot of air to be displaced. Yesterday I was casting some 300+ grainers with my new MP mold, and I had the plate a little too tight and I couldn't get fill-out for anything, and I loosened the plate to swing "almost" freely (but not too loose) and it started making them perfectly. Apparently it just had to breathe.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 08-28-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: still learning, myself
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure about the weight because I can cast perfect 700gr boolits for my S&W 500...

I'll try raising the temp to 800, I never casted this hot before...

Banned

Don't go over 750F if you want to keep your tin. Detox hasn't learned about that yet

Sounds to me like the mould isn't hot enough. Get it up to 400F at least and try that.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Try increasing alloy temp a little and casting all three cavities as fast as you can ! See if heating up the mold with that third HP cavity operational helps ! I have a bunch of the NOE standard single-pin HP molds and a "warm" mold is your friend !

Casting rate may be more of a problem that actual alloy temp.

Jerry

Boolit Master

How are you dispensing the lead into the mould? Bottomdripper spout? Lyman egg ladle? Lee teaspoon? Poring from altitude or pressure casting?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm casting with RCBS ladle...

Boolit Master

Gear had it on spot...going higher than 750 will burn your tin out of your melt.
    I cast mine at 700 to 725. My NOE molds are hot, when I start casting.
    I'll heat on the hotplate on med till my pots up to temp, then after fluxing, I'll dip the mold into the melt for about 3-4 min as i get my final preparations done to start casting.

Boolit Master
    You def, need to fill all 3 cavities to keep temp up on the whole mold.

Boolit Master
    I'm casting with 95-3-2.. and I have a 4 cavity of the same.. I put the mold on top of the pot to warm up while the pot warms up to casting temp.. I tried as hot as about 700 (thermometer reading) but haven't tried loosening the sprue plate yet.. I too get what seems to be wrinkled bullets and poor fillout for the grease grooves.. When the bullets cool down they ring nicely so it appears that they have a hard enough alloy with adequate tin.. but just not much luck as far as nice looking bullets..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    You def, need to fill all 3 cavities to keep temp up on the whole mold.
    Lol! I think the question should be you blind?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    Gear had it on spot...going higher than 750 will burn your tin out of your melt.
    I cast mine at 700 to 725. My NOE molds are hot, when I start casting.
    750 is too cold for best fillout. Tin loss is very minimal even while using the ladle. Stir and flux every 20-30 boolits. Do not listen to old wives tales of loosing too much tin. Do not use sawdust if you want clean boolits...simple parafin wax will work.

Hard Linotype will work better...even while casting at 800 degrees. RCBS recommends hotter temps with your alloy if you read instructions that come with thermometer
    Last edited by detox; 08-26-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Banned

Detox, I do not know your history on how long you have been casting. But, Stick around and do some more reading before giving some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Detox, I do not know your history on how long you have been casting. But, Stick around and do some more reading before giving some advice.
    Do not believe everything you read. I do what works for me

Boolit Buddy
    I too was having problems with a mould, just could not get it to throw good boolits, it was a RD 265gr 44cal mold, I was running the lead pot at 700-725 deg. and tried to keep my mold at 375-400 deg. temp. after 3 days of frustration I read where RD recommends running the lead at 780 for good fill out, I tried it and within a few cast I getting good boolits, He said these larger bullets need the lead hot for proper fill out and it is easier to keep the mold hot. I tried it and it works, in 2 hours I cast more good boolits than I had cast in the previous 3 days.

Boolit Master
    I still think just casting all three cavities will solve the problem !!!
    The bonus is you get HPs at the same time !
    Do not slow down to admire your handywork !

3000 !

Jerry

I had the same problem...

I just used the lighter and smoked the cavities with soot then I was good to go.