Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Competition type seaters with cast bullets

Love Life
    I have shot better with milsurp brass, shooting pull down matchkings, using standard dies than people around me. Of course that really means squat, but take it for what it is.

While they are practicing voodoo and doing spiritual dances around their reloading bench, I'm on the range proving my load and shooting for practice and score.

Odd that one...

If you have the cheese, see a benefit for you, then go hog wild and buy what you want. The OP was answered.

I don't chase unicorns.

Boolit Buddy

I used the RCBS dies with cast and J words. That port sure beats having to balance the boolit on the case. For any rifle cartridge I load more than 20 rounds a year I get the RCBS Micrometer die. No, I don't size the boolits to grove diameter. I prefer to be close to "as cast" if possible.

That said, haven't loaded many rounds with tumble lubes through the RCBS dies.

I like the idea of using the neck bushing dies rather than the regular sizers and an M die for cast too. The bu$hing$ though... $$$ wow.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

In rifles using mild pressure cast bullet loads. Brass cases wear out in the sizing die more than in the gun.
    Several different ways to get it done. But what I try to do is not overwork the brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    Love life, I wonder of you will notice a difference in dies once that rifle gets to you from Tim. A straight, proper chamber, cut well, will notice a difference.

I only use the chamber type die for target rifles. My match AR for high power shooting could tell the difference at 600. Probably a 4 to 6 inch difference in overall group size. The Hornady seater was giving me 8s and an occasional 7. Went to the Forster die and the next time out it was far better. Those points matter.

In a standard factory rifle I doubt it will make a difference. At short ranges, no difference. A good rifle with a good chamber at longer range, it does make a difference.

Love Life
    We'll see. This isn't my first "Match" gun, but I'll see how things go and report back.

ETA- I just wanted to clarify something. In bench, long range, and match type guns the high end dies are worth the money as the miniscule gains are worth it.

A standard off the shelf rifle I do not find the high end dies to be worth the cash layout. I'd rather spend that money on components and learn to shoot the rifle better.

It's all about what the end goal is.
    Last edited by Love Life; 10-18-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I think you've helped me to decide what to do.

Love Life
    Does that mean it's ok to thread drift now?

Boolit Buddy
    Be my guest

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Does that mean it's ok to thread drift now?
    What exactly is thread, oh look, a squirrel

Love Life
    Anybody figure out what that boot thing is yet?

Boolit Grand Master
    I saw a boot, I shoed it away

Love Life
    I see what you did there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gonna sock it to me? Please don't, I heel slow. I am good at this sort of thing, ask my wife, she would tell you she could have toed you so.

Should I stop now?

Love Life
    Oh my!

Boolit Grand Master
    It's a family thing. We are quite the show at holidays.

Love Life
    There is usually a wrestling match between the Zoomie and I over the last rolls at the holiday tables. I distinctly heard mom say "I'm so ashamed" one year even though she adamantly denies it.

Boolit Master
    Well for a long time I have been doing the wrong thing then, I use Vickermann, Meacham, and RCBS in-line seating dies for accuracy loads in my .30 cals., .22 and .45, and mostly don't need to flare case mouths at all or minimally, here I've been saving case life and getting loads with little or no run-out, and I've been using the wrong equip.!!!

Love Life
    And knowing is half the battle!!

Boolit Bub
    If you want them, Hornady will make custom sized sleeves for their seaters.
    Turned out I didn't need to do it, the 450/400 seater has the sleeve for the 405Win in it, which is .413.