WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which one would you buy?

Dont buy the Winchester! There is a disease that follows these. When you put it your safe it is all alone. It wants the company of all the other calibers with octagons, fancy sights and etc. Just take the cheap way out and buy the Rossi. lol...
    High Hook

Somebody school me if im wrong but thats a Rossi SRC Puma isnt it? I have one in 44m & 38spl/357mag. It was my understanding they stopped making the Puma's (Cat Medallion) back in the early to mid 90's?
    Last edited by K-Rod; 11-05-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Never owned or fired a Rossi so, I probably should disqualify myself from advising you. But, can't resist; the Winchester will almost certainly appreciate. The Rossi? Don't know. Although you can rarely go wrong acquiring a Winchester, if your patient, you can probably find one that's in a little higher condition.

smokeywolf
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 11-05-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by K-Rod View Post
    Somebody school me if im wrong but thats a Rossi SRC Puma isnt it? I have one in 44m & 38spl/357mag. It was my understanding they stopped making the Puma's (Cat Medallion) back in the early to mid 90's?
    Yes I have one in 44 mag not sure when they stopped selling them; I would trade mine for a Win in 38-40 + a few hundred $'s any day. My Puma medallion was gone when I bought it back in about 1991. Bought it in a parking lot of a gun store; they only wanted to give him $100 for it he wanted $150. It does have pretty decent walnut on it.

I would get the Winchester as others have said that is very pricey for the Rossi.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by bandit7.5 View Post
    makes me cry to say this but winchester is becoming a third world firearm company
    Japan is a 3rd world country? Ya right
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Yes I have one in 44 mag not sure when they stopped selling them; I would trade mine for a Win in 38-40 + a few hundred $'s any day. My Puma medallion was gone when I bought it back in about 1991. Bought it in a parking lot of a gun store; they only wanted to give him $100 for it he wanted $150. It does have pretty decent walnut on it.

I would get the Winchester as others have said that is very pricey for the Rossi.
    If you go by the Blue Book (which I know is subjective) an older Rossi SRC model 92 Round barrel Puma lists for $895-$600 from 100% to 90% condition.

The older Puma's with the Cat medallion though not a Winchester, shouldn't be confused with a newer Rossi M92 when it comes to value.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Japan is a 3rd world country? Ya right
    Japan doesn't make all winchesters, M70's are now made in a South American country, iirc Brazil. It would be nice if they were all made in THIS country though.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Japan doesn't make all winchesters, M70's are now made in a South American country, iirc Brazil. It would be nice if they were all made in THIS country though.
    As would a whole bunch of other stuff. But then can the masses afford it?

I would not call Brazil a 3rd world country.

Ya, by 3 years. Winchester 1886. Rossi 1889.

Don't think I'd place Brazil into the 3rd world category.
    1903 & 2010 are not 3 years a part.

Every firearm Ive ever seen from Brazil or Italy ARE Third world CRAFTSMANSHIP

When the followed the name Taurus with the word "Bull" they got it right
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    1903 & 2010 are not 3 years a part.

Every firearm Ive ever seen from Brazil or Italy ARE Third world CRAFTSMANSHIP

When the followed the name Taurus with the word "Bull" they got it right
    Winchester as a company was founded in 1866. Rossi was founded in 1869.

As far as craftsmanship, that is an opinion and subjective at best.

Just as saying EVERYTHING from china is trash, much as I regret to say.
    Last edited by jcwit; 11-06-2013 at 03:45 PM.

In Remembrance
    When did rossi, start making the 92?? That is what I took it as he was saying. I have never owned a rossi of any kind, but I see threads here everyday about buying new ones and putting decent stocks, ordering videos on how to get them to work right. I doubt the brazil M70's are selling any cheaper than they when they were made here, and I know the jap levers aren't, and jap labor costs more than ours per hour.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Never owned or fired a Rossi so, I probably should disqualify myself from advising you. But, can't resist; the Winchester will almost certainly appreciate. The Rossi? Don't know. Although you can rarely go wrong acquiring a Winchester, if your patient, you can probably find one that's in a little higher condition.

smokeywolf
    Same here. Own or have owned a bunch of old Win lever guns but never owned a Rossi-- and likely never will.

It's hard to tell, relatively, how many Winchesters in better condition are available in Australia. Two ways to look at it. Neither of those guns are collector types. So get either one and shoot the snot out of it. Or hold out and with a little more money, patience and luck get a Win 92 in better condition and with a better bore. As far as caliber, there is not much real difference between a 44-40 and a 38-40. Both are excellent in revolver or carbine, so that should be of no consequence.

One final thing that is just my opinion so take with a grain-o-salt. Every time I look at any gun, I've learned to look past the "shine and new". I look at the details of the finish. Rossi guns just seem to look like they've spent a bunch of time on a sander and/or buffer where wood to metal fit is "blurred"- obviously for eye appeal. I know that's very subtle but should not be confused with proper inletting/mating first then flat filing the two surfaces together.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=Lead Fred;2463780]

"Every firearm Ive ever seen from Brazil or Italy ARE Third world CRAFTSMANSHIP."

I might agree on Brazilian "craftsmanship".... but ITALY? You're swinging a very wide brush there. Have you never seen a Beretta? A Perazzi? GOOD Italian guns are very good indeed, and are often created with a large dose of taste and artistry in the bargain.

On the original topic..... Winchester all the way, no question.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Winchester as a company was founded in 1886. Rossi was founded in 1889.

As far as craftsmanship, that is an opinion and subjective at best.

Just as saying EVERYTHING from china is trash, much as I regret to say.
    I'm a little confused. Or, maybe I just don't know the technical definition of "founded". But, in 1867 the incorporators of Winchester Repeating Arms Co. met at the then office of New Haven Arms Co. to send out a notice of the first stockholders meeting.
    In 1869 Winchester's stockholder list showed that there was a total of 4,500 shares of stock and that Oliver F. Winchester held 2,040 of those shares.

Can you explain how several hundred thousand firearms with barrel addresses saying "Winchester Repeating Arms Company" were produced prior to the company being "founded"?

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Well I just couldn't resist; to me there is something synonyms with lever action and Winchester!

Hope I made the right call, one things for sure rifles were made better (to last) in 1903 than they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I'm a little confused. Or, maybe I just don't know the technical definition of "founded". But, in 1867 the incorporators of Winchester Repeating Arms Co. met at the then office of New Haven Arms Co. to send out a notice of the first stockholders meeting.
    In 1869 Winchester's stockholder list showed that there was a total of 4,500 shares of stock and that Oliver F. Winchester held 2,040 of those shares.

Can you explain how several hundred thousand firearms with barrel addresses saying "Winchester Repeating Arms Company" were produced prior to the company being "founded"?

smokeywolf
    Here you go, please note paragraph 4 from this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_rifle

Side note here.

Brazilian craftsmanship. Mitutoyo has a precision tool plant located there. Some there must know what they're doing.

Yes the U.S.A is a great country, no doubt about it, and we used and still do make high quality goods.

BUT, we are not alone in this world making quality goods, check where most digital camera's are made, not here, where are the highest quality watches made, not here, where is the highest quality .22 ammo coming from, not here, where are most electronics made, not here.

The list goes on and on, not putting down American manufacturing, but these are the facts.

Boolit Master

Guess you're going to have to hold my hand on this one. I see references to the Volcanic, the Rocket ball and the 22 rimfire; nothing about Winchester being founded in 1886.

smokeywolf

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

A fine example of American history, nostalgia and the beginnings of 125 years of lever gun tradition.

Maybe it's just me but I cannot imagine what the question may be or where any question could come from.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Im not sure what wikipedia has to say but the book I have on the history of Winchester says that in April 1857, Oliver Winchester & John M. Davies bought the bankrupt Volcanic Repeating Arms Company & re-named it New Haven Arms Company. In 1866 Benjamin Henrey felt he wasn't getting paid enough for his part & tried to get the Connecticut legislature to award him the New Haven Arms Company. Oliver Winchester stalled it & re-organized the company & named it Winchester Repeating Arms Company. Thats also the year the first Offical Winchester rifle was manufactured. The Model 1866.