Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sorry boys

In Remembrance

For all the times that I had my daughter help me repair a piece of machinery or do a plumbing job with me or just swinging a 24 oz. roofing hammer helping on a shed. It all came to a very proud moment several years back when she was up from Va with her family. She came out to where I was tinkering in my barn on a mower. She chatted for awhile about next to nothing topics and then just came out with it asking if she could have some of my old tools. I said I`d buy her new tools if that is what she`d prefer. "No", was her reply, "I`d like some of the tools you taught me to repair things with"! I had to dig out my red bandana sn*t rag and pretend I had a piece of dirt blown in my eyes. Proud just isn`t enough of a word to describe her.Robert

Good job Gents. I have been encouraged by the many stories of good parents training the next generation. I have been blessed with two daughters and I am trying to teach them some basic tool useage, some plumbing and electrical. (Maybe a little shooting also.)

I was raised by a PhD in Chemical Engineering. Dad could and still can do anything. Maybe a little slower now at 79. I joke with Dad that he ruined me on Phds. I thought all of them could fix anthing. Unfortuneately, I have only met a few PhDs who knew how to swing a wrench, much less who were willing to do so. They could write a book about how to swing a wrench, and offer to consult......

I have found a strong correlation to kids who were brought up in the country and their work ethic. They are used to not having everything they want and are willing to figure out how to make what they need.

Here is the problem i have with all this. Im 20. I grew up working on farms, home schooled, and learned how to fix things and run equipment at a young age. Now, im trying to run my own buisness and this is the problem...finding employees. Old guys wont work for me because who wants to work for someone half their age. And i have probably let go about 20 kids my age because they wanna stand around playing games on their phone on my dime, or thet just are not strong enough to do the work. Its not that hard. Ive been doing this since i was a kid. Its just so hard to find anyone anymore worth hiring, so i work by myself. And yes, i have hired girls that could outwork every boy on the crew. The lack of knowlage in young men drives my bonkers too. I mean seriously. A stick shift isnt that hard!! Among other things. Rant over. I could rant for days on this...

Boolit Grand Master
    It isn't just knowledge, it is work ethic. Kids are used to being given everything, they don't have the gumption to earn anything. They feel entitled.

Jr, I have a guy doing some work on the house right now. He fired his own son because he spent too much time texting his girlfriend instead of working.

If I felt my daughter was being lazy and feeling entitled I would kick her in the.......

She used to comment on the fact we have a nice house. I always told herd that no, her mother and I have a nice home, she doesn't own squat. She grew up knowing she needed to make her own way in the world.

Yeah, kids today drive me nuts.

Love Life
    Is this where I sign up for free stuff? I prefer things that can be used while doing lrp shooting.

Good job on all of you for raising solid children. I am working to mold mine the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Good job Gents. I have been encouraged by the many stories of good parents training the next generation. I have been blessed with two daughters and I am trying to teach them some basic tool useage, some plumbing and electrical. (Maybe a little shooting also.)

I was raised by a PhD in Chemical Engineering. Dad could and still can do anything. Maybe a little slower now at 79. I joke with Dad that he ruined me on Phds. I thought all of them could fix anthing. Unfortuneately, I have only met a few PhDs who knew how to swing a wrench, much less who were willing to do so. They could write a book about how to swing a wrench, and offer to consult......

I have found a strong correlation to kids who were brought up in the country and their work ethic. They are used to not having everything they want and are willing to figure out how to make what they need.
    I agree with you on every point.

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Girly men. Sad

Girly men is politically incorrect... they are Metrosexuals men............

Boolit Buddy

A couple others showed pictures of their lovely daughters, here's my oldest a couple years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katy.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	86775
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post

My dad was a PhD, well respected research biologist. He could also swing a paint brush and on occasion a hammer with either hand. He was a southpaw raised on a farm, so glad I had the opportunity to learn from him. Never could teach him to shoot...oh well, nobody's perfect.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Cheris every moment with your children. The very worst day you ever have with them is better than one second of knowing you will never have your child with you again.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    That is a good job by your Daughter but a terrible one by the ME students. It might be typical of most of the engineering grads we need to train when they get out in the field.
    Wait- drilling. Isn't the computer program supposed to do that for you now..? ...

Shows right there on the screen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Here is the problem i have with all this. Im 20. I grew up working on farms, home schooled, and learned how to fix things and run equipment at a young age. Now, im trying to run my own buisness and this is the problem...finding employees. Old guys wont work for me because who wants to work for someone half their age. And i have probably let go about 20 kids my age because they wanna stand around playing games on their phone on my dime, or thet just are not strong enough to do the work. Its not that hard. Ive been doing this since i was a kid. Its just so hard to find anyone anymore worth hiring, so i work by myself. And yes, i have hired girls that could outwork every boy on the crew. The lack of knowlage in young men drives my bonkers too. I mean seriously. A stick shift isnt that hard!! Among other things. Rant over. I could rant for days on this...

Welcome to modern advanced America JR. See what a progressive future brings? ...

You don't ever want to make to much money and be to productive anyway. You'll have to pay to much for health insurance.

Boolit Buddy

What I have run into is that the guidance counselor thinks engineering is a good field to go into. They recommend it to too many kids that want a high paying job. They think they can teach anything into a college kid. If you don't have the interest and aptitude to do it, chances are that they will never get it. We have a forty something technician now that you can't explain what is wrong with a part let alone what to do to get it fixed.

Banned

I remember back in the late 70's when the governor of California said our schools were going to become the best of the 3 R's, and they commenced to shut down all shop and music classes- the only thing that got me through school.

Even as a kid I remember thinking, lordy- they are going to screw this state up. What will 90% of my neighborhood do now? Oh- there's drugs, prostitution, gangs, etc. They'll still get work...

In Remembrance

Bullshop Jr made me remember how I grew up. I lost my Dad to a heart attack when I was 13. We had 2 farms and about 300 head of animals including milk cows, beef, swine. My elder brother was attending MSU at the time. My Mother had a weak heart, my sister was 3 years younger than me. We had 2 full time hired hands, both adult middle aged men. They both quit in the Spring for not wanting a 14 yr. old kid being their boss. I ran both farms with just my sister and what my Mother could do for another 5 years. I still attended HS and graduated in the middle of my 125 Seniors class. I fired men that thought I was easy to put a fast one by me or handled equipment like it was a tinker toy to be destroyed or just plain lied to me about something. I am telling all this to show why I put the training into my own kids. They left my house to begin their own life with a decent understanding on how to maintain equipment and a fair idea of how to deal with people. My fondest wish is that my late son of 2 1/2 half years past could be here now.Robert

Boolit Master

I totally appreciate the views of many previous posters. My 2 girls were raised in a home of a hands on dad and mom. Because I often had them help me with various projects, they picked up some mechanical aptitude. Because I sat with them and explained what they needed to look for in a story problem, they became logical thinkers. Because I demanded they do their best at whatever they tried, they became goal orientated. Because I made them responsible for their actions, they became responsible. NONE of these traits were taught in school. I was fortunate in the fact they did learn from my wife and myself, but that isn't only because of us, it is also because of their own pride in their own selves, which may or may not be due to learning from our examples.

I do know that the education system is only a part of our current problems in education, but I have to agree that the idea that every one is college bound is pure nonsense. A technical education can be rewarding and the source of an excellent income. If we as a nation expect to survive, we need to get morality, good work ethics, and common sense BACK into our education system and home life.

I am extremely proud of my daughters' accomplishments, but I also have to be proud of what they have accomplished their selves. My oldest is a radiologist and my youngest is a sales engineer, both because of their individual hard work. I only provided the basics and they chose to apply them.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

I deal with people who have graduated with engineering degrees every day. Many refuse to get their hands dirty, as if it's demeaning. The oilfield crews don't like that type very much. Typically, when I engage them in conversation they reveal how little mechanical skill or knowlege they have. Most got engineering degrees without doing any hands-on work in an electrical lab or machine shop. Most are not Professional Engineers yet, still working on their time under an engineer. They can't believe the IT guy can run a lathe and milling machine, build a rifle, restore an airplane, build a car, etc. when they wouldn't have any idea where to start.

One of the most offensive things ever said to me was when I told a female acquaintance that I was working on small aerobatic airplanes. She asked, "Won't you get your hands dirty?"

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy

I'm afraid that the worst is yet to come. Can you imagine how the new breed of public school "zero tolerance" kids are going to turn out? More and more families, or what passes for families nowadays, have no adults at home when the kids get home from the indoctrination centers. All day long the kids are afraid to do anything that might be misconstrued as being anything other than docile or vegetative. I know some excellent teachers, or at least they would be if allowed, that are tired of fighting a system that holds every student back to the lowest common denominator. The kids can't build any self esteem or confidence because they can't do anything that might seem competitive or aggressive. Oh well, can somebody help me off this soapbox??
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Master
    Having read many of these posts I would like to make an observance. My dad was an electrician for the long Island railroad. Seems even way back then he was always messing around with something. I'm not a mechanical genius but when younger and fitter thought nothing of changing out exhaust systems, water pumps, carbs, or doing general car repairs. At my job was more of a glorified mechanic and equipment operator (pumps,and stuff like that)Basically the same stuff I did in the navy. I have to say this though, what I did in the navy helped when I got a job after I got out. I've seen very few younger people who do work with their hands today. Went to a vocational high school. Don't see many of them down here. Thinking that is where our different school systems have gone wrong. You can teach them the 3R's but that doesn't really prepare them for a job after they graduate. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    I have to say this though, what I did in the navy helped when I got a job after I got out.
    The best way that the Navy helped me when I got out was that it had seriously impressed upon me that I wanted to work with my mind and not my body. When I dropped back into college after the Navy, I was a lot more dedicated to my coursework than I had been prior to going in the Navy. Having already partied with the best around the globe, those little frat boy antics just didn't impress me.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...