MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: build in AR or Buy

Boolit Master

build in AR or Buy

how hard is it to build in AR i was at my LGS they had stripped lowers RRA were $140 and they had something else for $100
    i would like to do the lower first so my question is is it cheaper to build or buy what tools would i need and is one stripped
    lower as good as the next
    thanks
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    the question of cost depends greatly on how different you want yours to be. The AR is a simple weapon to work on so that's not much to be concerned about. As for tool you'd need a vise, vise blocks for the upper and lower, an AR armorers tool, a roll pin set and a non marring hammer. There are many makers of receivers some are better than others you'll want a milspec one and check online for good reviews or just look for a reputable brand. for a good fit I'd get a matched set if available or at least keep the receivers the same brand others should fit but if they both come from the same source they should be at the same side of the tolerances. Now if you want a plain jane AR just hit wally world and same a buck but if you want either something specific or more exotic you might save a bit building it your self and you will know your weapon better than most which can't be bad.

Boolit Buddy
    Those may seem like simple questions, but a thorough answer is far from simple.

It is easy to build one, with a few specialty tools and a little mechanical aptitude.

If you're just wanting an AR, it will be cheaper to buy.

If you just have to have a specific combination of parts that is not offered off-the-shelf, obviously building is the way to go.

If you're handy/mechanically inclined, interested in the workings of the AR, and have most of the general tools already, building is the way to go.

If interested in resale value, buying is the way to go. Frankenguns, put together by an unknown builder, even if assembled completely of top-tier parts, may have poorer resale value.

You will need tools. Proper tools (roll pin punches, barrel nut and castle nut wrench, vise block, etc) will help prevent bubba-ing a build. Look at the brownell's kits for an idea of what you might need.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod41214.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod23880.aspx

Brownell's also has a number of videos on AR builds, but you can find a ton of build info on the web elsewhere as well.

Not all lowers are created equal. Most are, and RRA should be GTG, but certainly with some, holes may be out of spec, the uppers may fit loose or tight, etc. Some have extra touches like threaded rear detent pin holes, ambidextrous bolt release, integral trigger guards, etc.

Then there is billet vs cast vs polymer lowers.

Hope that helps, a little anyway.

Boolit Master

yes that helps
    thanks

Boolit Master
    I recommend assembling your own if you have the interest and ability. It's fun and satisfying. You don't need every tool they try to sell you–you can make some of your own jigs and get away without roll-pin punches if you're careful. I built my first one with standard punches, You will need a good vice and a barrel wrench, and I recommend good instructional video such as the midwayusa one or the ones available at itstactical free( Lower: http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/fi...-installation/
    Upper: http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/fi...ly-and-firing/)

Boolit Master
    I would build my own. Assembling an accurate AR isn't rocket surgery. Float a good barrel and everything else is gravy.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

LGS has stripped RRA lowers going for $140 also R-Guns is like 4 miles from my house
    i will stop in there on my way home from work and see what they have i think im going
    to build the lower first not !00% shure if i will build the upper or buy it

Boolit Bub

When building AR's my one-stop place to shop is Palmetto State Armory. Simplest route to take is their $500 rifle kit, then catch one of their $60 blemished lowers, plus shipping and FFL transfer, put it together and you're done. So for around $600 or so you have a solid, basic AR15 that you "built" yourself. It won't be match grade and I'm sure there are cheaper complete AR's to be had online.

Boolit Master
    I go with Midwayusa for most stuff, Buds for my lowers and bravocompanyusa for the upper. Get the "scratch & dent" for $89, they're perfect.

Boolit Buddy
    I built an AR using a kit from Delton ($450 at the time) and a Surplus Ammo and Arms stripped lower. The kit comes with a fully assembled and tested upper, stock/buffer tube assembly and lower parts kit (everything except stripped lower). I printed lower assembly instructions off the internet and sat down at the kitchen table with basic tools and put it together in 20 minutes and I had never touched one before. It's the way to go if you ask me. I had $550 in a good AR that shot 1" groups at 100yrds and would cycle whatever I put in it flawlessly. I even ran it "hot" for a few mags (which I don't like doing but I had to test it) and I couldn't get it to malfunction.

Delton has raised the kit price to $480 for most kits (and they have quite a few designs to choose from)

I ended up trading it and 12 mags and some ammo to a guy for a beautiful C. Sharps 1874
    45-70...this was during the crazy time around January 2013 and a lot of folks were scared they would never be able to get another AR if they didn't act. I work with a couple of guys who were so paranoid, they financedrifles in the mid $2k range and have not shot them cause they can't afford ammo!!

I would love to build another one but I'm saving my pennys for an M1A Springfield!

So to answer your question...I'm sure it would take some know-how to assemble and headspace an upper but as far as a kit, all your putting together is the lower and its not difficult at all and you will save several hundred dollars which can then go towards mags/ammo/sights.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Not to hijack, but the last month or so, I am noticing that a fair number of those who bought AR's "just because" recently, are starting to sell as they realize that they are still out there, and they need to make a car payment,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by webradbury View Post
    I'm sure it would take some know-how to assemble and headspace an upper...
    Unless you're turning your own barrel, you will buy a barrel with the extension already installed. Installation of the extension is how headspace is set on an AR.

Headspace will be acceptable if the barrel and bolt are within specs. Not a bad idea to at least run a no-go headspace gauge through it to verify though.

Assembling an upper is easier than the lower, which has all of the little fiddly bits. The trickiest part of assembling the upper is usually making sure the gas port in the barrel is lined up with the port in the gas block.

Boolit Master
    There was an article recently in the American Rifleman about building your own AR. The guy ended up with a terrific firearm, but ended up spending $3k! No way I could justify spending that kind of money.

Boolit Buddy
    I apologize to all for my long-windedness.....

Boolit Master
    That's the thing about ARs though. You can build a $700 gun or a $4k gun.

If you decide to build, buy the best barrel you can afford. Daniel Defense makes excellent cold hammer forged barrels in my experience. Otherwise, go get a real match barrel. You can swap out all the other parts on an AR but the barrel is the heart and soul that will determine if it shoots well.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Hi Lucky,

I've built up several AR's. The earliest one back in the late eighties using a kit from a then new company called Bushmaster. Ordered their AR15A2 kit to my house and bought their lower through a local gun store. Fantastic rifle when I was done. I've since built several more, some with completed uppers, some from absolute scratch. All of them have ran fantastic. Lots of complicated things can be said, but here's some relatively simple answers in red in the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    how hard is it to build in AR
    The lower is pretty easy to put together. The upper, you'll need several fairly expensive tools and unless you have the cash to burn, I'd advise buying the upper pre assembled and putting the lower together yourself. The lower only requires a few fairly inexpensive tools (mostly punches) and you get google instructions on how to do it with good pictures.

i was at my LGS they had stripped lowers RRA were $140 and they had something else for $100
    You can spend more money, but for 99.9% of the builds out there, most all US made AR lowers made today are made on CNC machinery out of forged aluminum billets bought from only a few companies. Buy the $100.00 one and build away. Nothing special about RRA, except it's a wider known name.

i would like to do the lower first so my question is is it cheaper to build or buy
    Depending on what stuff you use, it can be cheaper to build. But like reloading, you can make a better rifle if you build yourself, but it likely will not be cheaper. It'll just be of better components.

what tools would i need
    Depends on what you decide to take on yourself. I suggest you google "building an AR15 lower receiver" and "building an AR15 upper." You'll see how it's done, what is required, both from you and tool wise, so you can make informed decisions.

and is one stripped
    lower as good as the next
    99.9% of the time, yes. To get a better than the basic receiver, you need to spend a significant amount of money and in the long run, the performance differences will be small. Your money is best spend in quality barrels, Milspec or better bolt/bolt carriers and trigger groups.

thanks
    Hope this helps,

Dave
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 11-15-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Boolit Master

I built one from the Del-ton kit with a Mega Machine Shop (MMC) billet lower. It was my first AR build and it might have taken me an hour to build it, but that included finding the instructions on the internet and drinking a few beers in the process. The only tool that I didn't have was a brass punch and I made one out of a short piece of brazing rod. They assemble some of the parts for you, so there wasn't really any specialized tools that I needed.
    Last edited by grumman581; 11-16-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master

would like to thank you all for your help

Boolit Master

During the first Obama make-em-all-illegal scare after his first election, 2008 was the year, I faced this question and opted to buy. The local Dunhams Stores still had a few good deals at the time and I had a coupon for $50 to just about pay the sales tax. I ended up with a basic rifle with a CAI lower and a collection of parts including a colt BCG and a brand new heavy barrel that works admirably, although the trigger is a little rough. It is somewhat a "Franken-rifle" as someone used the term, but it works and I didn't have to collect the parts and assemble it. Next time I might opt to build, who knows. Whatever seems like the most fun at the time I guess.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    I would build my own. Assembling an accurate AR isn't rocket surgery. Float a good barrel and everything else is gravy.
    I have put together 5 AR's now. All of them shoot better than my friends off the shelf AR's. Like Redneckdan said. Float a high quality barrel and either do the setscrew under the trigger trick or buy a Timney trigger and you will have a AR that is a tack driver . I preffer White Oak Armament barrels. They will shoot 100 yard .5 MOA groups and I have targets to prove it.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson