RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I want a lever gun !

Boolit Bub

I want a lever gun !

I've been wanting a 357 to shoot for fun . I already load wad cutters for 38 sp. But I can't find a deal on one. So I got thinking in Michigan it's pretty easy to get a deal on a 30/30. Would this make a good plinking gun for speed shooting cans or should I wait for a 357. I originally wanted a Henry 22 . But ammo is stupid and I fell in love with my 38 sp.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .30-30 is a natural for cast bullets and is fun to shoot with light, plainbased loads which approximate. 32-20 or. 32-40 levels. Try #3118 or Saeco #322 cast from wheelweights with 6 grains of any pistol or shotgun powder you have lying around, or the RCBS 30-150CM with 11 grs. of #2400, 14 grs. of 4227 or 16 grs. of 4198, RL7 or MP5744.

Boolit Master

I want one in .22,brother has a 39A,won't come off it though.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

On that TV show "Wild West Guns" I saw them building a Marlin lever gun into what they called a "co-pilot". It was weatherproof stainless and plastic and had a 16" barrel chambered in 45-70 and a 2 round magazine. It was machined so that the barrel and mag could be taken out of the receiver for transport in a very compact package. They never mentioned price but I would bet it was a couple thousand $$$.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'd vote for the 30WCF in the lever rifle , I have both and the thirty caliber is much easier to get bullets feeding than the thirty-five . I've noticed that after deer season good thirty calibers can be had at reasonable prices . The three fifty-seven carbines though tend to be high priced all year .

I have a Marlin from about 1950 and it just loves light loads , to bad my old eyes can't see the front sight any more . People talk about "ghost ring" peep sights , this one is a "ghost bead" .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I think the 30-30 lever gun is a great choice, Marlin or Winchester. I personally prefer the Win. I had a Rossi 357 but traded it off, bad mistake. The 30-30 Winchester really likes just about any cast boolits up to 180gr at least in my rifle. I plink a lot with PB boolits in the 100gr up to 130gr range. Not much difference than a 38 Special for plinking.

In Remembrance
    30/30 is one of my favorites for plinking. Even though I like 357 in a handgun, I just have never had the hankering for a rifle.

As far as a brother not coming off of that marlin 39, I think you will find most folks that has one is the same way. If for some reason I never got to shoot mine again, somebody else can worry about getting rid of it after I'm gone. lol

Boolit Grand Master
    A word of warning, A levergun just doesn't happen. They tend to grow into multiple leverguns in multiple cartridges. I am now up to 5 and hope to keep going.

A 357 leveraction is a great choice but don't turn down a 30-30.

Boolit Buddy
    Consider a 35 rem. You can use the same molds for the 38 and 35 rem.
    Father, fool, friend.

Boolit Buddy

I have 3 30-30 leverguns and you cant go wrong with them in my opinion,they can be cheap to plink if you load your own. I also have leverguns in 44mag,45colt and 45-70 and they are all fun. I have Winchesters and love them but if you don't mind doing a bit of work don't rule out the Rossi's,they really are nice rifles.

For the sake of cheap and easy, wait for the .357 you want. I'm with ya, the .38 in a levergun is too much fun. Fwiw, basic Rossi 92's go for about $400 new on gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    For the sake of cheap and easy, wait for the .357 you want. I'm with ya, the .38 in a levergun is too much fun. Fwiw, basic Rossi 92's go for about $400 new on gunbroker.
    And an absolute BLAST to shoot.
    Was out a few weeks ago and a familly was there also, Let them all shoot mine including an 8 year old boy and several women, The Dad said he would be picking one up cause they were so much fun.
    BTS

Super Moderator

Get a 30-30 first. Both the 30 and 35 cal are very versatile, but the 30-30 has more horsepower should you ever need it and can be loaded with cast at the same velocities as factory loads. There are many plinker boolit molds available too. If you are new to casting you can start with the LEE C309-150F or the C309-170F and the C309-120R (plinker). Get a 309 or 310 LEE push through sizer which comes with Alox, some 30 cal gas checks and you will be set.

30-30 marlins in the used world will run around 300-ish bucks. They handle cast well and as stated in the other posts can be load up or down for game or plinking. They are accurate and easy to deal with.
    Rossi makes a good 357/38 special lever gun. It is a clone of the 92 winchester. Other than a initial thorough cleaning, they are fun guns that deliver great accuracy. Just remember, the 92 action is particular on OAL, as the cartridge is straight. So it has to make the turn into the chamber without the aid of a bottleneck. So the short story is that you might hear that they are prone to jams and feeding issues. The reality is that 99% of the time it is due to OAL being off, or the projectile in question might have a sharp leading edge that could hang up.

Boolit Master

No sense burning rifle powder charges to plink with. .30-30's great if you plan to hunt, but slower to cycle due to the longer case and more expensive to feed. Both are good options, but for different missions.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have three .38's and two .30/30's.

For plinking the .38's are the way to go. I can load 800 per hour on the Dillon 1050. A straight walled pistol case has advantages.

Get a .30/30 for $300 or so, and wait for a .38 to come along. You can always sell the .30/30 and not lose a penny on it. I do not like the 92 clones, and prefer the Marlin 94's or Uberti 1873's.

Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I want a(nother) lever gun!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    I'd vote for the 30WCF in the lever rifle , I have both and the thirty caliber is much easier to get bullets feeding than the thirty-five . I've noticed that after deer season good thirty calibers can be had at reasonable prices . The three fifty-seven carbines though tend to be high priced all year .

I have a Marlin from about 1950 and it just loves light loads , to bad my old eyes can't see the front sight any more . People talk about "ghost ring" peep sights , this one is a "ghost bead" .

Jack
    If you can't see it then that '53 oughta be looking for a new home. smiley thing JW

Boolit Mold
    I have a 39A Golden Mountie (22LR), a 1894C (357 Mag), and a 1895 (45-70), all of which are fun to shoot. I also have a Colt Diamond Back in 38 Special and a Colt Python in 357 Mag. Tough call, but for fun I say wait for a 357 Mag lever action to show up.

I am loading the Missouri Bullets .358" 140 grain truncated cone bullet in my 38 Special brass at between 700-900 fps depending on the gun, lots of fun, shoots good, and my wife will even shoot it. If my 16 year old son goes to the range with me, it is very handy to have lots of 38 Special ammo loaded he likes to shoot the revolvers and the rifle. In this case it is nice that I have a couple gallons of 38 Special brass. None of my other non "black guns" do I have that much brass for.

HK91

Boolit Master
    My son has a Marlin 30-30 and my daughter just got a Rossi 92 in .357. The Rossi is much lighter, handier, and has a shorter stroke. I'll be getting a Rossi .357 as soon as I build up enough funds.