Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a good affordable .45 Colt?

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    mistaken post
    No, Dale has a .45Colt convertible ie he has a .45acp cylinder with his gun. I have the flattop with the extra cylinder as well.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

robertbank;
    Thanks for the info. That can be useful information, for sure...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    For the money you can find some nice used Rugers for around $400 or so where I am since few people really play with the .45 Colt much. You can't beat that. I know when I bought my Vaquero a couple years back it was like new and $399. I also saw a nice Blackhawk for $425 that was nearly mint.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Yep, If you want the convenience of a double action, S&W is the way to go. My .45 Colt Mountain Gun (rare)

If you want a heavier .45 Coltgun, the Colt Anaconda (uber rare) is the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    This is the most accurate .45 Colt revolver I have ever shot ! When I bought it used it was very affordable. Unfortunately this Model 25-7 is now getting to be pretty expensive compared to a Ruger.

Jerry

Vendor Sponsor

What kind of pressure ceiling does the Anaconda have?

Boolit Buddy

For s/a I think Ruger is the overall best out there but I also like the ones from heritage arms,they are NOT as pretty as the others but they are pretty good guns,i have 2 and have really beat them up without any issues.

Given the thickness of the cylinder, the Anaconda should be able to handle anything within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

Handloader #229 did data for an Anaconda. Without quoting their loads, the run a 250 JHP a little over 1300 and a 310 gr. SWC to about the same speed. You can find that info at www.loaddata.com

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    No, Dale has a .45Colt convertible ie he has a .45acp cylinder with his gun. I have the flattop with the extra cylinder as well.

Take Care

Bob
    Lol no what i was going to say i erased
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I'm plus one for the Vaquero as a good experience to shoot at a good price. Have to be willing to live with SA only but hey if SA was good enough to settle the west it sure is good enough for me.

Really like it because it is simply fun to shoot, can't say it is practical, or having superb accuracy, or whatever but if you grew up playing cowboys and Indians through the neighbors back yards..... well you did not think in terms of having a DA revolver so why spoil the dream?

Boolit Master

Been shooting my BH since the 70's and after many thousands of rounds it still shoots good. I did have to replace the cylinder pin twice due to peening from heavy deer hunting loads. Should get the Belt Mountain one. Also look into the Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt. Not as easy to find as the BH but stronger than even the BH.

Boolit Man
    Gun-Tests.com and/or Gun Reports liked the cheap Cabelas 45 Colt single action revolver, may have been called the Millenium....? just checked; now on their site as Item: IK-291457 for F LLI Pietta 1873 SA Revolvers
    here is another excerpt from one of their other reviews:
    Gun Tests Recommends
    • Heritage Manufacturing Big Bore Rough Rider .45 Colt RR45B5, $379. Best Buy. The Rough Rider offered a satisfying traditional look and shot sub-2-inch groups at 25 yards. In our opinion the Rough Rider is a bargain for the budding Cowboy Action shooter or anyone who wants a big-bullet single-action revolver.
    They speak well of Rugers, as many of us do, but they had some problems with them in their testing at times and they quibbled about some features.
    Last edited by meeesterpaul; 01-23-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Again, it boils down to what loads you intend to shoot. I have a Vaquero and a few Uberti's. The only reason I bought the Vaquero is I wanted to hunt with it and it will handle loads a tad bit heavier than a Uberti. If not for that I'd have just stuck with the Uberti. My Vaquero needed to cylinder throats reamed out to uniform dimensions, but all of my Uberti's have throats that are uniform and every bit as accurate, if not a little more accurate, than the Vaquero. Plus the Uberti's are infinitely more simple mechanically and easier to work on/smooth up.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I wondered who makes the most affordable .45 Colt revolver?
    Colt.
    Find an issue Model 1909 in good shape. Strap loop on the butt. Double action. Notches on the grips.
    Then you have to find a mold.

Another vote for Ruger, I like the New Model Blackhawk with the .45 Colt and .45 Auto cylinders.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Boolit Master

I have 2 of the Ruger NEW Vaquero. You need to be able to pick one up and handle it to really appreciate how good they feel in your hand.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger level 45 Colt loads with no problems. Problem is they are now "collector's" items and the price is ridiculous. Believe the OP asked about "affordable" but that is different to different incomes..........

Larry Gibson

True, but...buy the Anaconda, shoot it w/ cast boolits, keep it clean and next year you could (if you wished), sell it and get all your $$ back, plus a nice profit to boot. Buy a new car, truck, computer etc. Use it, keep it clean, what's it worth next year? Phfffffffffffit, that's what it's worth!

The Colt Python prices are way beyond ridiculous! They don't hold up as well as a Smith 686, but they bring 2K. A S&W 17 or 18 will outshoot a Colt Diamondback .22, but the Diamondback brings twice the price of a 17 or 18. The market is like a woman! No reasons for the way it is, it just is!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Ruger level 45 Colt loads (in the Colt Anaconda) with no problems. Problem is they are now "collector's" items and the price is ridiculous. Believe the OP asked about "affordable" but that is different to different incomes..........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Ruger 45 Colt convertible
    Comes with a 45acp cylinder
    Love the two caliber gun.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by habba8 View Post
    Ruger 45 Colt convertible
    Comes with a 45acp cylinder
    Love the two caliber gun.

Yep this just bought one last month and finally got some .45 colt loads ready for a range day last Friday. What a blast! Literally!!