RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: powder owder wheres the powder???

powder owder wheres the powder???

I dont understand why within the last 3 months all smokeless powders have gone away. Is this another obama gun grab trick or what?? No stores have powder for pistol. And back orders are being dropped by dealers and suppliers. Any of you guys have the inside scoop on what is happening or when supplies may open up again? very curious. Hey if you are in Colorado Springs Id welcome a chance to buy red dot or AA#2 or similar,Ill even buy you a cup of java too..
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Grand Master

These threads need to stop :banghead:

I picked up some powder for a friend this weekend and they had a nice supply in the shops I went in. When I took it to him today, he said he had just got back from the shot show. While in the airport he met one of the vendors and got to talking about supplies of items for reloaders. He was told by the guy that he was buying some powder (several thousand pounds) from the Chech republic. The guy told him that there was 1 plant in the country that makes the main component for smokeless powder and they sold to IMR Hodgdon and others. Sounded like the demand is so high that everyone and their brother are making ammo now. He was also told that the major ammo makers were not going to invest in installing equipment to make their own powder components because they don't think that this demand is sustainable for the long run.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Love Life
    I've seen quite a bit of powder hitting the physical, and internet, shelves. I did the math in another thread and I do just as well, or better than the lgs, ordering from the net. Even 1 lb jugs.

Tax return season is upon us so expect the inventory gains from December to disappear into the night....

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Lots of powder in the shops around here.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I find it is getting better in Omaha. Bought 4 pounds of RE 7 a few weeks ago.

Love Life
    From what I am hearing from back in the south east, the shortage is much more acute there. Hmmmm...I wonder if population density may play a factor? Nah! It's the hoarders!!!!!

Boolit Master

I was in the local Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday, and the only powder they had was an 8lb'er of H110...

I could use it, but the budget can't!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Picked up an 8#er of Winchester 296 recently. Enough to shoot quite a bit in the Blackout. I normally don't buy the jugs, but with the uncertainty of when I will see it again I'm not waiting. Glad I got Universal, and red dot pounders when I did.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    From what I am hearing from back in the south east, the shortage is much more acute there. Hmmmm...I wonder if population density may play a factor? Nah! It's the hoarders!!!!!
    I hear they are pulling bullets from 22 LR and selling the powder for 50 bucks a pound.....

ADMIN

I need bullseye and lilgun (or h110/w296)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by edadmartin View Post
    I dont understand why within the last 3 months all smokeless powders have gone away..

Last three months?????????

Where have you been, it's been dried up for well over a year now and only recently started to ease up a bit!

Practically nothing here in NY Arkansas. CABELA'S had two lbs Red Dot Sunday, three gunshops nada on Pistol Powder and very little Rifle. I'm new to this and it is frustrating. We'll see how the red dot does till something else comes up. Walmart did have a bunch of different ammo today but no 22, like I'd buy any.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I need bullseye and lilgun (or h110/w296)
    look on gunbot.net in the reloading section. That is where I have been finding lil gun in stock, as well as the W296. To many stores to look up individually, but I end up buying more than I would to make up for shipping and hazmat.

Boolit Bub
    You can't always get what you want. But sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.

It's not too tough to find large and small rifle and pistol powders online. Might not be what you're used to, but there's plenty out there that'll light up ahead of a primer. "Unfortunately" you (or I) have to order at least 5-10lbs to make the haz-mat reasonable compared to LGS prices.

well old red Ive started reloading again after quite a while out of it so I noticed 3 months ago that powder had gotten hard to get in my area.Ive had 3 powders out since november nada.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Quote Originally Posted by uncle joe View Post
    I picked up some powder for a friend this weekend and they had a nice supply in the shops I went in. When I took it to him today, he said he had just got back from the shot show. While in the airport he met one of the vendors and got to talking about supplies of items for reloaders. He was told by the guy that he was buying some powder (several thousand pounds) from the Chech republic. The guy told him that there was 1 plant in the country that makes the main component for smokeless powder and they sold to IMR Hodgdon and others. Sounded like the demand is so high that everyone and their brother are making ammo now. He was also told that the major ammo makers were not going to invest in installing equipment to make their own powder components because they don't think that this demand is sustainable for the long run.
    I'm in MS also. Where'd you find a nice supply? Haven't seen any pistol powder in some while locally or online.