WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 26 Nosler

Boolit Bub

26 Nosler

I just put in my order for the Nosler Patriot rifle in 26 Nosler... anybody else interested in this rig and placed an order? I'm anxious to see how this git-up works

Boolit Buddy
    Go on the net and listen to Tom Gresham's show he did from the SHOT SHOW last week and he interviews someone from Nosler where they talk in detail about the 26 Nosler. It sounded like a real hotrod of a long distance round. The show is at ww.guntalk.com

Boolit Grand Master

Kind of sounds like they reinvented the 264 Win Mag, used ultramag brass so beltless
    Charter Member #148

Love Life
    I like the idea of the round. I'd prefer to see a bull sporter barrel though.

My good old 30/06 works good lol.

It seems like a neat idea, but I doubt it will stick around very long.

Love Life
    I have to agree with Bullshop's assessment of the cartridge.

Boolit Bub
    It could be a handloaders delight. There's already RUMs around that may take away some of its appeal for the factory crowd.. I think some guys might still be tempted to opt 30-06

Boolit Master

Just saw the advertisement in the American Rifleman. They had a link at the bottom of the add for it. Just took a look. After the video, scroll down for more details and the cartridge specs.

http://www.26nosler.com/

Not my cup of tea (the Ought-Six is), but interesting none the less.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned

It depends, I would like one if I can form brass from another cal. It would make going out to Colorado to tag an elk a bit easier if they are out at 400.

Im not overly impressed. 6.5x284 is no slouch and already known as a barrel burner. What's this thing gonna do other than burn up barrels faster. A+ in theory, C- in execution. And agreed, 30.06 will do 400yd with more retained mass and a bigger hole. For 6.5, the creedmore or 260rem would be suitable to my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Kind of sounds like they reinvented the 264 Win Mag, used ultramag brass so beltless
    264 WM reinvent/264 Weatherby?!?

I have not read anything on the round YET. I DO know about the effectiveness and terminal performance of the 6.5/264 bullet, due to the high BC. However, my concern with this 26/264 is - most 264 bullets are designed for optimum performance at about 6.5x55 Swede velocity. 264 WM pushes the typical .264 bullet design to it's upper design and terminal ballistics limits, probably at the edge of failure...

I would really like to see a good bit of emperical 26 Nosler terminal ballistics results.

In Remembrance

I have 3 simple reasons why the 26 Nosler won`t find a place in my safe.

1. .338 Win. Mag.
    2. .375 H&H Mag.
    3. .416 Taylor

These cover ALL my shooting and hunting needs, and you can usually eat the bullet hole.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

200 fps gain by increasing case capacity 14 grs over 264 Win Mag, fair trade off, maybe but 264Win already has rep as barrel burner. As far as headspacing off of the shoulder instead of a belt, handloaders have been doing that with their belted bottle neck rounds for decades. Wonder if they come with an extra/spare barrel
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    In my old Hornady reloading book in the text for the 264 WM they mention burning out several barrels in developing the load data for the book. Figure about 5 different bullet weights and 7 or 8 different powders. Think about that.
    Compare a very efficient cartridge in any caliber in this case say a 260 Rem to a very inefficient case like the 264 WM and you don't see all that much gain in ballistic performance.
    My feeling is that a 6.5/06 has about optimum case volume for efficient powder use and good barrel life, the best balance if you will.
    I have been shooting a 6.5/57 for quite some time now. Having a 30 inch barrel it gets velocities out of proportion with its case size. The gain is by virtue of barrel length and not chamber length.
    Still I plan to open the chamber to 6.5/06 Ackley because I do expect some ballistic gain with not too much change in barrel life and the fact that I have had a set of RCBS dies in 6.5/06 Ackley for about 25 years and never used them.
    Another point that comes to mind is that in my own experience in chronographing factory ammo it rarely ever achieves the published performance its makers claim.

Boolit Master
    If I recall correctly the 284 Winchester holds 1 grain less of water then a 30/06 or 280 Remington. So how much of a gain will this 26 Nosler have over the 6.5-284 that has already been established as a 1000 yard cartridge?

I am not sure folks are going to be all that impressed with this cartridge when they go to reload it. The reason is, I don't know if there are any canister grade powder available that is slow enough. One of our customers has been getting fantastic ballistics from his 264 win mag using WC872 powder, and I don't think there is anything commercially available that slow. The 26 Nosler is bigger still, so that powder or something even slower will probably be needed to get full ballistics from it.

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master
    The firearms and ammo industry can't put 22 LR ammo on dealer shelves for close to 2 years, but they choose to eff around with ridicu-calibers like this one? I don't get it.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    In a word " HYPE " is an effective tool. Its the magician creating elusion with slight of hand (word) to distract attention from reality. Reality is, and going back to my old Hornady book in their words " There is no free lunch " High performance carries a high price. If I were to shoot a 26 Nosler in my coyote hunting I would by my barrels in bulk because I know that to minimize my wind drift miscalculation's I would be loading to red line levels. .
    On the other hand if someone could be satisfied with the ballistic performance of a smaller cartridge of the same caliber you could get that performance at a reduced pressure and there by get improved barrel life over the smaller cartridge ( think 264 Win) at the ballistic performance level of the lesser cartridge. Theory or fact you choose. If fact maybe justification for the cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Comes down to learning to read the wind, range can be done with a range finder.

Love Life
    ^^^Yep.