RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Ideal 429348 180 gr WC fast or slow?

Ideal 429348 180 gr WC fast or slow?

Recently bought an ideal 429348 180 gr wc mold which I plan to use for my 44 special charter arms bulldog. Can this bullet be shot fast or is it only for slow speed target shooting like I normally think of wc's being used for? I want to use it as a defensive type bullet in this gun. Thanks, John.

Boolit Master
    I think that mold holds plenty of lube for any speed you are likely to get out of your Bulldog. I haven't shot it much over 800 fps. just trying it out for target loads, and it shot very well for me. It should be a great choice for your Charter.

Boolit Master
    I ran one of thse in my Charter 44 target bulldog for years velocity is not as important as accuracy but ya do want it to "pop" out the end of the barrel, LOL!

Seems to me I was loading both greendot and unique in this special for right around 925 or so I switched to 452AA and it was a nice grouping load but never did chrony it.

That extra inch of barrel buy ya a lot velocity wise but not sure you can get 1000 out of the 3 inch fixed sight Charter. Mostly I think controlability is going to be your issue and that wil decide what velocity you will actually load the boolit for.

I picked this mold for just that reason enough velocity to do the job and being able to double tap accurately!

Any of the pistol powder should provide accuracy sufficent to the purpose at hand, sadly I think availability of powders is going to dictate what you'll end up using.

I will advise you not to try and make a magnum out of it, your wrist will get real sore real fast.

I hate suggesting a load but will think 6.5 grains Unique a safe sane place to start. size .430 and don't tumble lube and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the replies, loading a 250 Keith for it now with a medium charge, figured the WC will hit hard and not use up so much of my precious lead, John.

Boolit Master
    I use it with 5.0 ~ 5.5 of Bullseye. I shoot into a sand hill and then sieve the sand to recycle the precious lead. Very accurate in my Model 24 and Model 29.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsharpshooter View Post
    Thanks for the replies, loading a 250 Keith for it now with a medium charge, figured the WC will hit hard and not use up so much of my precious lead, John.