Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 Rowland

Perma-Banned

460 Rowland

Anyone out there played with one of these yet?

The Mighty 460 Rowland Cartridge delivers true .44 Magnum power, accuracy and range in your favorite, light-weight, easy shooting, .45 caliber auto-loading pistol with much less deafening noise, night-blinding muzzle flash, target-obscuring muzzle rise, punishing recoil, and far greater volumes of fire than Dirty Harry’s .44 Magnum ever could. All this has made the .460 Rowland the single most successful, independently developed cartridge in history.
    .460 Rowland Cartridge by Cor Bon

* "Johnny's Personal Carry"

The Authentic .460 Rowland cartridge uses extreme chamber pressures to achieve it’s .44 magnum muzzle velocities and will propel a 185 grain bullet from a five inch barrel to 1550 fps and, unlike a standard .45 ACP cartridge, it realizes 20% higher velocities when fired from an eighteen inch barrel. This makes our soon to be available .460 Rowland carbine accurate and devistating to 150 yards.

In order to prevent our high-pressure round from being chambering and fired from guns that may not be up to the task, the .460 Rowland’s shell casing is 1/16 of an inch longer than a standard .45 ACP cartridge. Due to their identical overall length, however, an Authentic .460 Rowland Conversion will reliably feed and fire standard .45 ACP cartridges from standard .45 ACP magazines; just like the .357 Magnum feeds and fires the .38 Special… only bigger… much bigger.

Standard .45 ACP reloading equipment may also be used to load .460 Rowland cartridges and owing to ten plus years of market success, lots of loading data are readily available. Factory ammunition and brass are also available from a number of other quality manufactures, although we take great pains to insure ours is more consist than you will find anywhere else. One would expect nothing less form the inventor and developer him self.

Yep, I shoot it in both a 1911 and converted 625. Both work well, although I would not compare it to a .44 Mag. I prefer it in my 625, after I re-chambered the cylinder that came with the gun, as-cast 255g .454" bullets shoot one hole groups so long as I hold them there. Honestly, unless you have a real need to go up in power, it may or may not be worth your effort. It is certainly a much less expensive option than many due to the barrel swap only and ability to use standard 45 acp dies. In the 625 since it all head spaces off the clip you can still shoot ACP and Auto-rim with no issue.

Can you shoot 45 auto in the Rowland bbl without problems?

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

"We do not recommend shooting .45 ACP in the 460 kit."
    Last edited by HarryT; 02-28-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    One buying mistake that still wakes me up screaming was to drop out of the chase for a Dan Wesson Revolver im 460 Rowland,,Only one I ever had a chance at,and quit just under the top bidder...( of course I'm certain he would have gone a grand or two higher if pushed---!!! _ Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Banned

The .44 magnum is way more gun. .460 Rowland compares with a .41 magnum with lighter bullets. Regardless, it makes a lot of sense. Would love to have Rowland's XD conversion.

Been thinking about a glock conversion and a friend wants the 1911 version, gotta save my change.

Perma-Banned

I thought about converting my glock it looks like a drop in

Quote Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
    Yes, you may have to install a lighter recoil spring for the ACP cartridge (unless you load them hot).
    You sure about that? Most automatics I'm familiar with headspace on the case mouth. Thus the reasoning for using taper crimp only. I think you could have an issue. I know you could probably buy a .45 acp barrel to drop into one with minimal changes like a spring. I don't know, but just wanted to bring it up.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot .45 ACP in my Commander .460 conversion. I had Clark Custom put mine together years ago and back then they said I could shoot .45 ACP in it. Now I see on their web site that .45 ACP should not be shot in the .460 Rowland barrel.

Assuming the chamber is cut properly, without seating the bullets into the lands, the only thing holding the case will be the extractor. Can it be done? Yes. Should it? Absolutely not!

I've seen 10mm's that will shoot .40 S&W as well simply due to a tight extractor. Not a good policy and a great way to take a trip to the gunsmith and start shelling out $.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup It's a blast/ Bought a Ruger 1911 as a host for it and it's more accurate than I. It'll shoot factory and hotter level 45ACP and cycle with the 24lb spring.
    Won't cycle my plinking loads of 5.3gr HP38 and 200gr lead hp with that spring, but bump it up to 6.0-6.2 and it'll work.
    Change back to the stock 45acp spring and it's flawless.
    That 24spring is a booger to put in though.

Perma-Banned

well heck have you ever actually tried to put a booger back in ?? just wondering..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    well heck have you ever actually tried to put a booger back in ?? just wondering..
    That's the G-rated version

That 24lb spring takes a gorilla and an extra set of hands to put it in.

Boolit Buddy
    Agree about the spring, mine doesn't get cleaned alot because of it. That said I really like it and it shoots as well as anything I own.

How close to the Rowland does the .45 super come? I've heard that the .45 super cases approximate (and can be made from) .308 brass shortened and with the necks (only) reamed. I'd bet the Rowland is this same thang, just a bit longer. Ie. the brass will by itself probly contain magnum pressures (no, I'm not about to fire such a thing unsupported to find out. The Ackley tests did show that a 30-30 case could support 30,000 psi FWIW). So, how close does the 45 super come?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Perma-Banned

it can come as close as you want it to come.

I don't bother with the Rowland, but do load the .45 Super. About the only brass for the .45 Super is from Starline and according to them, it's as strong as 460 Rowland brass. My setup, a Gen4 G21 with comped KKM barrel (5" with threading), has very good case support. The comp is needed for the stronger loads, but in my setup here's some velocity averages, mainly with Longshot and 800x:

300gr Beartooth LFNGC @ 1,150+ fps
    275gr Hunters Supply hardcast @ 1,200+ fps
    250gr XTP @ 1,300+ fps
    230gr XTP @ 1,400+ fps
    200gr XTP @ 1,500 fps
    185gr XTP @ 1,600 fps

All from my 5" barreled G21 Gen4 using my handloads. I wouldn't think of shooting these without the comp, slide speed gets too fast and problems arise, so the comp slows down the slide and tames the recoil somewhat.

The .45 Super Starline brass can be loaded to 460 Rowland levels and the same setup shoots .45 ACP like a charm since unlike the slightly longer cased Rowland, is the same length as .45 ACP brass, although recoil is much less as you would expect shoot the ACP loads. Brass with above loads looks great, no signs of anything.

I also want to add, these loads shoot just fine from my 5.5" stainless Ruger Bisley .45 ACP cylinder, no sticky extraction at all.
    Last edited by Ruger45Bisley; 03-03-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger45Bisley View Post
    I don't bother with the Rowland, but do load the .45 Super. About the only brass for the .45 Super is from Starline and according to them, it's as strong as 460 Rowland brass. My setup, a Gen4 G21 with comped KKM barrel (5" with threading), has very good case support. The comp is needed for the stronger loads, but in my setup here's some velocity averages, mainly with Longshot and 800x:

300gr Beartooth LFNGC @ 1,150+ fps
    275gr Hunters Supply hardcast @ 1,200+ fps
    250gr XTP @ 1,300+ fps
    230gr XTP @ 1,400+ fps
    200gr XTP @ 1,500 fps
    185gr XTP @ 1,600 fps

All from my 5" barreled G21 Gen4 using my handloads. I wouldn't think of shooting these without the comp, slide speed gets too fast and problems arise, so the comp slows down the slide and tames the recoil somewhat.

The .45 Super Starline brass can be loaded to 460 Rowland levels and the same setup shoots .45 ACP like a charm since unlike the slightly longer cased Rowland, is the same length as .45 ACP brass, although recoil is much less as you would expect shoot the ACP loads. Brass with above loads looks great, no signs of anything.

I also want to add, these loads shoot just fine from my 5.5" stainless Ruger Bisley .45 ACP cylinder, no sticky extraction at all.
    The only difference between 460Rowland brass and 45Super brass is length. The reason is that 45 Super could accidentally be fired/fit in an unmodified gun where the 460rowland will not fit.

I don't want a short .45 Win mag. Where I see the .45 super or Rowland as being useful is to take the .45 to being the ultimate manstopper. As even 230 grain RBs have penetration to spare while sacrificing energy release into target/jerk, I see about a 180 or 200 grain bullet or boolit traveling plenty fast for devastating expansion. I'm pretty sure that the magnums and some auto rounds like the 10mm or .357 sig have energy to spare (and more than needed) for social work. I also have believed that .45 caliber (or bigger) are superior in killing power (and better still if expanded), and that 700 ft/lbs of energy is probly plenty. The FBI wasn't a lot off the mark with their .40 S&W as pertains to manageability being a real plus too. Though I do like the 10mm mo bettah.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!