Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Started the garden

Boolit Master

Started the garden

Well, I'm running late. Last year it took two days to get all the seeds planted. This year it took a week. It's amazing how much this HOCM has taken out of me.

I sure hope I'll be able to keep up with the garden this year.

Boolit Bub

Looking good I just got mine tilled up today. Planted one row of onions. Plant green beans tomorrow.

Boolit Master

^^^ Man, we still have 2 foot of frost in the ground here. Starting a garden is still aways down the road for us. Have fun and good luck.

Boolit Master
    Weird, cold weather delayed me several weeks, but we have quite a bit coming up. Interesting pots, never thought of cans.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice! Can't wait to get going on mine.

Cheers,

Marc

Excellent work. Mine is coming to an end. Had an amazing bean season. Spuds are just OK. Carrot good. First year I've done well with cabbage and caulis.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

I got potatoes and onions already up and a couple dozen cabbage plants in the garden

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Last night they said Chiraq ball teams have a serious problem.

Seems the PERMA FROST measures over 30" as of yesterday. No sliding into home base for a few more weeks yet.

Planting is still a loooong way off.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I like your use of materials for starting seeds. Here's an idea for you. The cardboard rolls from toilet paper and paper towels can be cut to length and set in a tray. They make dandy little substitutes for peat pots.

I do most of my gardening in big pots and 5 gal buckets. A couple years ago the wife and kids got me a 6' by 8' portable green house. I can get about 35 buckets planted and started in there along with a set of shelves to hold a few trays of seedlings. A milk house heater that I bought at a yard sale for $5 gives all the heat I need in case it gets real nasty. It's pretty slick. The wife and I can set it up in about 30 minutes. I'll have to take some pictures when we set it up in a week or two.
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just put seeds in dirt yesterday. Still snowing here, and below freezing temps are forecast yet. It is usually Mother's Day weekend before you can plant outside here, and you can still have frost for another month.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Vendor Sponsor

Nice! I have garlic up in several beds. Music garlic, Vietnamese striped garlic (oh man, this stuff smells up the WHOLE house!! Awesome to cook with!) and some unknown soft neck variety that is hot as jalapeno peppers!

Coming this week, Hatch Green Chile seeds, Purple Bell pepper seeds, Orange Yummy sweet pepper seeds, and Aleppo (a sweet pepper from northern Syria which is all the rage lately, and hard to get because of the war) seeds.

Music garlic:

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

With the Winter we had, and the lack of Spring to date..............I should have my garden in by September.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    What's your favorite beer??

I've still got avoer 6 inches of snow on the ground with over a foot in places. No gardening here for a while yet.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for the compliments. The can idea came about as a cheap way to start seeds. I use a band saw to chop the tops and cut slits in the bottom. Then I use a funnel wrapped inside and out to debur the can tops - just like a deburring tool used on case mouths after trimming.

Quote Originally Posted by DHurtig View Post
    I like your use of materials for starting seeds. Here's an idea for you. The cardboard rolls from toilet paper and paper towels can be cut to length and set in a tray. They make dandy little substitutes for peat pots.

I do most of my gardening in big pots and 5 gal buckets. A couple years ago the wife and kids got me a 6' by 8' portable green house. I can get about 35 buckets planted and started in there along with a set of shelves to hold a few trays of seedlings. A milk house heater that I bought at a yard sale for $5 gives all the heat I need in case it gets real nasty. It's pretty slick. The wife and I can set it up in about 30 minutes. I'll have to take some pictures when we set it up in a week or two.
    That a really good idea! Thanks. Yes, please post pictures. It's always great to see other people's projects.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    What's your favorite beer??
    Cheap!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Nice! I have garlic up in several beds. Music garlic, Vietnamese striped garlic (oh man, this stuff smells up the WHOLE house!! Awesome to cook with!) and some unknown soft neck variety that is hot as jalapeno peppers!

Coming this week, Hatch Green Chile seeds, Purple Bell pepper seeds, Orange Yummy sweet pepper seeds, and Aleppo (a sweet pepper from northern Syria which is all the rage lately, and hard to get because of the war) seeds.

Music garlic:

Very cool. What's the purpose of the screen over your bed?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Very cool. What's the purpose of the screen over your bed?
    We have hordes of squirrels here and the little b*stards dig everywhere. Some of my soil has composted horse manure in it and they will dig and dig and dig looking for one tiny morsel of grain the horse might have passed through.. I educate them with a pellet rifle but I can't be watching the yard the whole time so the netting works very well.

Here's a pic of the larger enclosed beds, we grow tomatoes and strawberries in the raised beds in the netting, keeps the squirrels and birds off them too. The long bed in the front, hard to see but there is about a foot and a half of thin black 1/2" wildlife netting strung up loosely around the garlic, if it's loose and feels kinda rickety they won't climb on it.

Black raspberries, blackberries, blueberries? Yup, they get a net enclosure built around them too, if you don't you won't get ONE single berry because of the birds.. No net = 100% predation.

Last edited by DougGuy; 03-20-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

May have to steal your netting idea to deal with grasshoppers. What they didn't eat last year they defecated on. Due to that and medical issues I abandoned my garden last year, haven't decided about this year yet. This thread is helping me get interested, tho. Thanks!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Vendor Sponsor

Go for it! That stuff I got at Lowe's, it comes in a roll 8' x 50' I think and it's easy to work with and strong. I used salt treated 2x2 for framing, and a stapler to attach the netting, then came back and screwed salt treated 1x2 to the 2x2 to sandwich and contain the netting. It's been up 3yrs now, and made it through snow, ice, high winds, it needs tightening up some but it has served quite well. Squirrels will decimate a good tomato crop, and when it gets hot and dry, they will bite a quarter sized piece out of every green tomato you have. The enclosure stops them, stops the birds, still lets the bees in, breaks up the heaviest rains...

Apologies to L1A1Rocker, didn't mean to steer your thread..

Boolit Master
    No apologies needed. This is good information. Here's my "cage" wrapped in 8' of welded wire and encased in bird netting. Great minds must think alike. I've got one section that's 12' tall.

You can see, some of the plants get pretty close to the ceiling.

I cannot find the pics of the tomato plants over 10' high. But they do get there. Oh there's one. Last pic, just to the left of the bean trelis. That's a tomato plant. Further over to the left are some tomato cage extensions that the plants have not grown over yet - but they do.