Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Started the garden

Well today's project came off without a hitch. Wife was busy in the house so I put it up by myself today. Only took about an hour. Family bought it for me about 3 years ago. I think they paid about $200 for it at Lowe's.

Let the gardening begin.
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Boolit Bub

Well I and my wife finished the garden planting yesterdayAttachment 101605 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD530433.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	101606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD530434.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	101607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD530435.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	101608

Boolit Master
    First, sorry I "abandoned" the thread I started. Now then WOW! there are some great garden setups out there from the great members of Castboolits. It's amazing how often gun enthusiasts are often home gardeners as well. I suspect it falls into the self reliance trait that runs through us.

Now on to some more pictures of how things are going with me. Looks like time to do some planting. . .

I tell you, this heart condition I've been diagnosed with really SUCKS! What should have only taken a day for me to plant has taken four. Man this has really slowed me down.

Ok, and to the good stuff. 50 purple hull peas planted, and apx 40 purple okra. If you hadn't done the purple okra I do recommend it. The purple color really makes it easy to find them.

I did make one minor mistake. I thought I was to put 8 green bean plants in my Earth-tainer, but it's really 10 - that's the reason for the blank spots. I've started a couple more plants to put in there later.

If anyone's interested, this is what I'm revitalizing my garden with this year, along with a bit of organic fertilizer.

I'm still waiting on Seymour to get big enough to pick. My first attempt at growing cabbage.

Here's a few Early Girls I picked up at the local plant house I put in one of my tree beds.

Oops! Max pictures reached. Watch for next post. . .

Boolit Master
    And my rotten apples. They sure did make it hard on me planting the Early Girls. They kept getting into the bed to "play" in all the fresh dirt.

And their ring leader.

Well, that's where I'm at now. I'm waiting on the tomato, and pepper plants to get big enough to put out in the garden. Hope ya'll are doing well. Please keep the pictures and stories coming.

Boolit Master

Waiting out a snow coming in on Sat. night through Sunday but planting parsnips and turnips just the same. Onions came through the last snow just fine same with the garlic.
    Wish I could figure out how in the heck to simply resize pictures, would post a few.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Wish I could figure out how in the heck to simply resize pictures, would post a few.
    I have a free account at photobucket. It resizes your pictures as you upload them.

Vendor Sponsor

Wow Rocker you got it goin' on man! Niiiice!

GF wants to raise quail so if I get to build a house we can get some.

I had to do 35rads and 3 nasty chemos last year, all summer was shot, had to abandon the garden but now I am taking it back, cutting branches and bushes that shaded the yard, pulling weeds one by one, digging chickweed out by the wheelbarrow load, ugh! I declared WAR on the neighbors danged bushes overhanging the fence, and man I laid waste to them SO BAD... She was maddern a hornet in a mule's ear but she can just get over it..

Getting my strength back and it's GOOD to feel like my usual self again, getting ready to go get a small trailer of composted leaf mulch to dig back in where I lost topsoil getting the chickweed out. To that, I will mix some black cow composted cow manure, and some black hen, composted chicken manure, and I think we have just made a good connection for some fresh rabbit poo. Pix coming at some point..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

A great day and getting ready !!

Attachment 102487Attachment 102488

First , looks like I may have finally got it figured out to reduce pictures but more important, things are cooking in the green house.
    We are still a few weeks off before we dare put anything outside yet.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

I planted some onion sets, carrots, and peas. didn't water them. Down to 14 degress the next night.
    Oh well seeds are cheap!
    Our moto here is: If you tomatoes freeze off after the fourth of July don't waste time replanting them.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Weve got about 80 tomato, tomatillo and peppers out of seed starters and into 4" peat pots. The round today was some replacement pineapple tomatillos and peppers that didn't survive, along with the first of bi-weekly peas & beans that will gon on until they are in the ground in June. We just got a foot of snow today with another foot possible tonight...it will be a while before we are breaking ground.

Boolit Grand Master

Tilled under the winter rye on Monday. I will till on come compost in two weeks. And then plant come mid May, hopefully. Last year I couldn't plant until Memorial Day weekend.

Boolit Master

Guess the Tune.

Boolit Master
    Alright its" I Am A Lonely Little Petunia In An Onion Patch".

Boolit Grand Master

Mine was completely planted by the eighth. Supposed to be in the eighties all this week so I'm glad it's all done.

Moderator Emeritus

Last saturday, I finally got some seeds in the ground. We've had rain off and on since...that's some good timing...although I usually get spinach, beets, peas, radishes in the ground lots earlier...but it's just been too cold,the ground is too cold. I also got in some beans I got in a trade here on the seed swaping thread...My first time growing Beans, one is "Rouge et Noir" and the other is "White Half Runners".

The Garlic was planted last Oct. Looks pretty good today.

The Hops bines are up 10" or so...they'll grow another AMAZING 25 feet, by the 4th of July.

I got my fountain setup, the birds (and Cats) love that.

Now, I have a question to you all.
    I like to watch things decay...I put these 5 short 'half rotted' logs on the corner of my house as a display...be honest, I can take it, Is this an eyesore to the neighbors? I half questioned myself when I had this idea...but I went ahead and did it anyway
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The Logs are cut nice and square,they would make good rustic stands for Pots of Geraniums,Petunias etc.

Boolit Master

Great pics lots of good ideas and use of space. My seedlings are doing well in the home made green house, by home made everything that its made of is pulled out of a trash pile. Been real cold still here In Mi ground real cold still gonna be a late start. So started some of the late blommong type plants earlier than normal and used the heater an grow light also trying some new verities of stuff with a shorter till mature time. Reply itching to get some dirt under my nails and make a batch of fresh salsa.

I've got mine all tilled in with goat manure this year.
    Aint planted anything yet, but gonna try and start in the next few days.
    We really dont like to plant til after Memorial Day, but we push it sometimes.
    It was snowing on us today and the nights are mid 30's.
    We're still burning the wood stove.

Moderator Emeritus

So wet and cold here that I don't know if I will get even the lettuce and spinach in until Memorial weekend.

Boolit Master

Getting there slowly,13th May.I can now start transferring some stuff into the garden from the Green house.The Hot Peppers and Tomatoes will stay in the Green house.