RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need scope suggestions for 45-70

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    I have a couple of the Weaver V-3 1-3x20 scopes mounted on pistol caliber carbines and I agree it is a great little scope. Perfect for woods hunting and 4" of eye relief would definitely make it a good choice for the 45-70 Guide Gun.
    I have a pair of these mounted on a 375H&H and a 458WM M70 Zastavas. Nice scope.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    I like the way the weaver v-3 is looking. Especially the 4.13" eye relief! But I am used to shooting with a bit higher magnification. 3 power at 150-200 yards doesn't seem like much.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I like the way the weaver v-3 is looking. Especially the 4.13" eye relief! But I am used to shooting with a bit higher magnification. 3 power at 150-200 yards doesn't seem like much.
    3x may not seem like much by todays standards but I can tell you that with the same scope on a .44 Magnum carbine 150-200 yards works just fine. I have shot out to 300 yards with that setup and not felt handicapped at all.

There is such a thing as over-scoping particular gun/cartridge combinations.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master
    Remember divide the distance you are shooting by the power and that will be the distance that it would appear to your naked eye, 150 yards divided by 3x = 50 yards to the naked eye.

Boolit Buddy

My favorite scope to use on my 45-70's is the Leupold 2x7 with the SABR reticle.
    Trajectories are very close to one of the 3 settings available depending on the load I'm using.

CPL Lou

Boolit Grand Master

New Weaver scopes are indeed looking good, don't have any rifles needing glass tho. Maybe I need a rifle?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

i've got a nikon prostaff 2-7 on my guide gun. not a whole lot of rounds down range yet but it's serving me well so far.