Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few casting and size/lubing questions

Boolit Mold
    Again I appreciate the input, I realize my mistakes with heat, the mold was a bit too cool, and the melt maybe a bit too hot and my rytheme non-existant which affected the tmeperature of both possibly oxidizeing my tin out of the equation. It's been a while since I've visited but not many boolits are made during deployments; I'm getting ready to go home and get back in gear.

You mentioned oil or other contaminants, I highly doubt the initial degreasing boil, and 3-4 runs I did have seasoned the mold much at all. Does the downtime between casting sessions affect the mold?, and is it possible to clean the mold too much or too often? I felt it would be safe to go ahead and boil/degrease my molds when I get back may do the same with my pot to get rid of any residual dross build up off the pot walls. I read that time should have had some significant impact on the hardness of the bullets previously cast I may remelt them for fun so I have uniform bullets when I start reloading in mass; or would you think that unnecessary?
    Last edited by ky-moonshiner; 10-11-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Welcome back! Thanks for your service.
    I just noticed this thread and will add my $0.02. I agree with the comments about the mold being too cool. As long as your bullets are, you will need to get the mold temp a lot higher to fill out without wrinkles. I've never been able to run fast enough with a 4 gang mold and a dipper. I can do a 1 or 2, but not a 4. You might consider a bottom pour pot.
    I live in a dry climate so I don't Oil my mold cavities. I do spray my molds with brakleen before each casting session.
    Keep casting! It will get easier

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a leather mallet to open my moulds for forever (30 + years since I got back into casting). I don't wear gloves but do wear glasses and pants, short sleeve shirts are OK, but NEVER shorts! I cast near to an open door in my shop for ventilation. I do not use a 4 cavity mould as they can be heavy (if steel) and touchy to use ( for me anyway) to get excellent boolits. However, I use two cavity moulds simultaneously. I fill one & set it down under the pot so it doesn't cool off too much, then cut the sprue on the other and drop the boolits, and repeat. IMO using a 4 cavity mould with 4 different boolits is going to be difficult, especially for a beginner. All of the moulds I regularly use are steel. Nothing wrong with aluminum or brass, I just prefer steel. I would recommend you get a LEE mould that casts a boolit near what you want and get experience as well as boolits you can shoot. Then you can go back to your 4 cavity. Just don't expect serious quantities of boolits from a 4 cavity mould with 4 different boolits. IMO....Pilgrim