Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: super durable gloss black

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    The barrels I used are 3ea Wilson, 1ea Colt NM, 2ea Glock & 2ea S&W. One Glock barrel was new to start with. If these are cheap barrels then what is a $350.00 barrel?

So do I need a $350.00 barrel to shoot PC coated boolits?
    If you buy into the theory that PC coated boolits wear out barrels, then yes.

Then again, if you actually do all of this, I don't want you as my financial adviser.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    The barrels I used are 3ea Wilson, 1ea Colt NM, 2ea Glock & 2ea S&W. One Glock barrel was new to start with. If these are cheap barrels then what is a $350.00 barrel?

So do I need a $350.00 barrel to shoot PC coated boolits?
    Just just reread my first post and now see where it my meaning was not clear .. That's on me..I was relating only a story of an interaction about barrel pricing .. had not idea of your barrels quality..because I read your post quickly and missed the stated barrel brands
    My only point was you get the quality you pay for .. Cheap softer steel barrels by definition will wear out faster no matter what you shoot thru them ..
    PC ( as long as there are no added abrasives) is softer than Copper so shooting PC should make your barrels last longer

Now If you are seeing scratching and wear (using the barrels you quoted ) I would say that your powder contains an abrasive

I am up to several thousand rds of Gloss Black PC Powder (NOT Eastwood Brand) on a Noveski 300 Blkout Barrel and no sign of any wear or accuracy loss
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 01-09-2015 at 03:21 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I just looked down the barrel of my SDs 45ACP with 25X video microscope (otoscope) and saw no scratches. I see a bit of blue powder coat on the ledge where the chamber ends and on the barrel crown. I see a bit of leading or antimonial wash at the leade and forward for about an inch and a half. No scratches. The last boolits shot were 50 blue powder coated very soft lead (98pb+2sn) 200gr #68 hollow points. I do not know if the lead was from them or an earlier outing with uncoated boolits. Could not see any lead or other debrid in the barrel without the microscope.

prs

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    I just looked down the barrel of my SDs 45ACP with 25X video microscope (otoscope) and saw no scratches. I see a bit of blue powder coat on the ledge where the chamber ends and on the barrel crown. I see a bit of leading or antimonial wash at the leade and forward for about an inch and a half. No scratches. The last boolits shot were 50 blue powder coated very soft lead (98pb+2sn) 200gr #68 hollow points. I do not know if the lead was from them or an earlier outing with uncoated boolits. Could not see any lead or other debrid in the barrel without the microscope.

prs

That is VERY soft lead for a pistol! But the PC' protected you. Sn adds hardly ANY hardness to Pb. You need Sb in there to get is up to around 12. I shoot 10-12 all the time with PC and no problems of any kind.

No leading. No grease smoke. No sticky boolits. No scratches. No wear. PC is your friend!

banger

Boolit Master
    Banger, I am with you for shooting at the range, but those lead/tin soft hollow points are for bad guys. I don't care if they do lead the barrel after many shot, I won't need or have many shots with an XDs. My typical alloy is real close to half of Lyman 2, ie 96:2:2 or 94:3:3 as close as I can concoct. You are correct, the tough powder paint does let us shoot softer and it does protect the lead and fight gas jetting.

prs

Boolit Master
    Wow! This thread is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going....... , so i guess i opened up the proverbial can o worms lol. Im done with worrying about it though. My bbls are still slick and mirror smooth and ive found loads that drive tacks for all of my pistols. I like pc so im gonna keep using it reguardless. As u were, men.