RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gander Mountain, Raleigh NC Is Not Cool At All

Boolit Grand Master

Gander Mountain, Raleigh NC Is Not Cool At All

I was next door this morning waiting for the FedEx office to open which is another unsatisfying story, and saw a crowd outside of the new Gander Mt. I walked over to see what the story was and heard that 22lr was on sale. Sale? Heck yeah so I waited 5 min until it opened and went on in. 333 boxes were $14.99 which was fine with a 2 box limit so I picked up 2 and walked up front where the problem started and ended.

"Whats your birthday and zip code"? said the young lady.
    "Why do you need that"?
    "The computer asks me and it's state law"
    "No it is not and I'm not giving you my birthday or zip code"
    "Well, I need it or I can't sell you the ammo"
    "Keep the friggen ammo then." and I walked out

What is going on with this endless data mining stuff? Every store now asks you for your zip code or phone number or birthday or email and all they want it for is to find out exactly who you are so they can spam you on the internet or junk mail you to death. This is the first time someone has refused to sell me something because I wouldn't give them the information.

Gander Mountain has just lost a customer for life.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I don't even know how you managed to get any in the first place. Here at Gander Mtn, a line forms two+ hours before the store opens and they hand out numbers and then when the store opens, you and all the relatives that you brought are called back to claim your two boxes. (never waited in line for it though). I figure I'll give it about 2 more years to prove to myself that the .22LR shortage is permanent and then give up and sell my rifles. I have adjusted to just using my 30-30 for whatever I used to shoot with the .22 anyway, it's just that I have a couple of NICE .22's that used to be fun to shoot.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Don't care how old you look they needed your birthday to confirm that you are old enough to buy 22 ammo, State and Federal law. Zip code gives them a general idea of where you live so they can put fliers in your local paper pointing out what good deals they have this week. I am sure Gander Mtn will survive without you as a customer.

Boolit Master

The birth may have a lot to do with verification to sell you ammo. Zip code could very well be to understand their target demographics location.

It's get's really interesting/scary when you look at the bigger companies. Some of the biggest tech companies out there don't ever sell you a product. Google's online services, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, any other social media, online music streaming, etc. None of them ever take any money from the vast majority of their consumers yet can be worth billions. You're probably worth more to many companies as a subscriber from which they can glean information than somebody handing over hard earned cash.

The birth day is so they know you are old enough to buy ammo (they could card you) and the zip is so they can track where their customers are from (they do this with all purchases). I don't see how they can spam you with any of it. They have been asking for these for many years.

Wow, looks like I wasn't the only one replying.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master
    I guess you showed them. More ammo for someone else. I guess you can do this to every place that sells ammo and in the end you'll be the loser.

Vendor Sponsor

you can't buy ammo if you are a minor and it is state and federal law against selling ammo to a minor. They were well within the law to establish the fact that you are of legal age to buy ammo. As far as the zip code goes, if they target your local media like newspaper and radio, it saves them money by choosing where to buy advertising rather than buy advertising all over the area which would run the cost of that .22 ammo up another dollar and 39 cents a box.

I don't see that as uncool at all.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Age and zip code allows them to profile not only the data they have but to relate it to other data. Zip codes have a lot of things known about them. Average income & home prices, the make and model of the cars registered there. Age demographic also can be tied to other data.

It's not only the fact that you (of certain age & zip code) purchased .22 ammo but the fact that someone of your age, in your zip code matches other people of a similar age in a similar zip code elsewhere in the nation. If they have other data on even 10% of that group they can extrapolate that this data applies to you at the same rate.

Given answers to the questions of what newspaper or magazine you subscribe to or last read, make and model of car you drive, alcoholic beverage of choice (or none), place where you most frequently purchase food, and purchase clothes. A political organization can tell you where you stand on top 5 political issues. Then tailor the flyers they send out to you so that it makes the candidate sound as attractive as possible to people like yourself. Businesses can do the same thing.

Example an anti 2nd amendment politician can send you a flyer with an emphasis on how much they support "responsible gun owners" and having a "balanced approach" to enacting gun laws that "respect the constitution" knowing you purchased .22 ammo but live in an are that leans democratic. To your neighbor that has a profile leaning toward more gun control the message can be entirely different. Emphasis on support of "safe sporting use" and "extensive checks and closing loopholes". Both messages are different aspects of what could be the same position, but worded so that they sound like what that individual voter would most like to hear on the issue.

You better believe it is NOT just spam and junk mail. This is the data used in the computer models that allow politicians to draw districts to pick the voters they want, as opposed to the voters in a natural region picking their elected representative.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

When I smoked they used to ask my age so they could punch in I was old enough. I'm past 50 so I just lied, picked Jan of some year within 5-8 years of actual year. Clerk never asked for proof. Zip code sometimes I tell them the truth & sometimes I give them a different one.

Oh and shopping online - many stores are tailoring the price to you and your location (zip code) same office supply from Office Max online can have a different price depending on what they know about you. AND how close your computer is to a store that they compete with and yes they can tell approx. location of a computer just from the IP address.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I just give them bogus info. Mess up their system. At least you won't get their emails!

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I just rattle off any date and give them the zip code of my old home town. If they want a street address or phone number, they get the state Mental Hospital's.

They didn't say it had to be correct...

In Remembrance

Radio Shack always wanted phone and area code and promised they never sell or give out information. Now their bankruptsy lists customer information as an asset that is available.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I just give them bogus info. Mess up their system. At least you won't get their emails!
    Yep, me too. I give them bogus info. The computers can choke on it. I've not been arrested yet.

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    you can't buy ammo if you are a minor and it is state and federal law against selling ammo to a minor. They were well within the law to establish the fact that you are of legal age to buy ammo. As far as the zip code goes, if they target your local media like newspaper and radio, it saves them money by choosing where to buy advertising rather than buy advertising all over the area which would run the cost of that .22 ammo up another dollar and 39 cents a box.

I don't see that as uncool at all.
    Yeah, my gray hair and wrinkles are not a dead give away. The State liquor store dosn't card me so Gander Mt has no need to. And it is not State and Federal Law as some have suggested.

If no-one here "has no idea how zip code and other information can be used to spam you" then you are just asking for trouble.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    I wish I had been the guy behind you. I would have given them a fake date and zip, and went home happy.

Boolit Master
    The only time I will stand in line for anything is when I have to renew my drivers license and I have seven 22 caliber rifles and seven 22 caliber pistols.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    I give them false data too. None of their business.

I always give them bogus numbers. Now, I've noticed they come back and say, 'that date is is wrong.' That's because, I don't remember the fake numbers I gave them last-time. They can stick their 22's where the sun don't shine...

Boolit Master
    Interesting...
    Nobody has ever asked me for any information when I buy .22LR.
    I bought most of it at LGS, but have bought at Wal-Mart and Dick's in the past.

I always pay cash, no credit or debit cards when purchasing firearms, reloading stuff or ammo.

Boolit Master

Jonp, I'm with you. Voluntary release of your data is fine, but to require it of you is foolish. Take my money, give me my stuff, and butt out. Of course, stores can have whatever policies they want, and we can shop elsewhere. My local gunstores have ammo, powder, and primers, and are very friendly.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"