Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok my eyes are old, sucks getting old

Boolit Master

for what it's worth, the apertures in my EyePal patches seem to be both very slightly smaller and very slightly larger than 1/16". The pistol/archery patch is close to but slightly larger than 1/16" (but smaller than 5/64). While the patch for rifle is smaller than 1/16.

I did my guesstimate measurements using drill bit shanks. Unfortunately I do not have any bits smaller than 1/16.

Although I could (and have) used one size for both pistol and rifle, the clarity is certainly better when using the correct sized aperture for each (rifle/pistol).

Searching the internet I did find a 1.25MM pin hole punch (very close to 3/64"). http://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Meta.../dp/B005P1UEK0.

Also found a 1.8MM punch which would be slightly smaller than 5/64". http://www.amazon.com/EURO-PLR-133-5.../dp/B0058ECKR4

If I were going to try a one size fits all, I would go with the 1.5MM (very close to 1/16") http://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Meta...pin+hole+punch

added: after further review I am not certain these punches will work. in all cases they describe punching thru metal. no where was plastic or vinyl mentioned. so I do not know if they will cut a clean hole. thru previous experimentation anything but a perfectly clean round hole will create some distortion in areas of your field of view
    Last edited by oley55; 04-05-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: note on punches
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    There's a new eye surgery, one that completely replaces the aged, hard, natural lens with some super-dooper new hi-tech silcon that is guaranteed never to go foggy and stay supple-soft, so our older eye-muscles can focus all thru the range of focus. In fact, many who had it done, are getting better vision in their 60's than an 18-year-old Fighter-Pilot is required to have. Seriously.

trouble is the £4000 per eye (UK prices).

I'd take a loan if I can get the courage to do it. My eyes push me away from scapels coming near them.. Any of you guys been considering this?

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Get used to it.

I went to the eye doctor several years ago and complained I didn't see like I used to. He chuckled and said "And you never will see like you did when you were a younger man." He said his job was the slow the deterioration and to keep my eyes as good as they could be.

Night driving is a lot harder as well.

SHiloh

Re: night driving. For those who wear RX glasses/contacts and drive at night I suggest using a coating referred to as "AR" (anti-reflextion). I found it to reduce the glare of headlamps as well as street/advertisement lighting and absorb more useful light while driving at night. In my case, I wear contacts, I keep a pair in my vehicle for use at night and it makes driving more comfortable and I can see much more. I would recommend doing the same for those who are not old enough to have to put up with the RX factor. My night time glasses are "Plano" script (no RX) and are used just for driving.

I know that not all will jump on this suggestion, but I do not get along with eyeglasses as they do not provide me the peripheral vision that I'm used to so I wear contacts. At the age of 71 my RX is up to +3 but when I have to align sights they are sharp with the contacts. That has a lot to do with my OD who fits me. If you are willing to change over please inquire as to who is the best OD for contacts in your locale. Sometimes checking with an ophthalmologist(group) they will refer you an optometrist who is skilled at that. If you don't believe you would be comfortable with contacts and would be interested in the AR coating see if they can send in your glasses to add that coating. If not, the next time you purchase glasses ask for the AR. Another possible solution would be a set of clip on's (Plano) with the AR coating to keep in your vehicle. I hope this helps. Al

Moderator Emeritus

That's a very good point about the AR coatings on glasses. I didn't get it last time I got a new Rx, and I'm sorry I didn't. The time before that I did, and it was a small but significant revelation to me. Good post, and all I can say is "Attaboy! Yer right!"

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, getting old sucks. Eye issues are getting intolerable for me, need fixing.

Getting new lens in the right eye in a month. Spent a bunch of time discussing
    with doc and techs. They both say the adjustable lenses will not give me the
    best possible vision but can reduce need for reading glasses. Folks that want
    to ditch glasses can do it, but at the cost of medium good vision everywhere.

That isn't good enough for me, but is for many folks. I want best possible
    distance vision and that is with a plain hard lens and glasses. Planning to set
    up to be slightly nearsighted, use weak glasses for perfect distance vision and no
    glasses for computer and likely reading. Reading glasses for very close work,
    say under 18 or 24 inches. They say I should be able to be comfortable
    around the house with no glasses.

That is the plan, we will see how close they can hit it. Getting rid of glasses
    is not a priority, seeing the best possible is the priority.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

MtGun44, let us know how it works. I can get by with glasses for now, but my day is coming. Like you I could care less what kind of glasses I have to wear, I want the best vision attainable.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Thanks for all the thoughts, yeah blended is in the works and or maybe shooting glasses (have to figue out how to get 1911 slide with sights into Kaiser office)

Anyway psitol shooting off bags for me is only to test a load or verify sight settings, but yeah front sight rear sight are all fuzzy.

I have a bag full of various cases of range eyewear lol. The "Eyepals" in one. I even met the old guy making them, twice. I could go on about vision, having a # of like 20/2000. Contacts are the way to sharp vision, according to my sister,who works at eyeplace and me. I do not know if this is just related to me or not, so YMMV. Anyways, at the range, one eyeglass case has some #1 reading glasses with Scotch tape on non-dominate eye. Best thing ever for cross vision and wanting to use both eyes. I have never used two eyes before and I'm 57. It is supposed to cure the problem, in time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    Some of my best revolver shooting has been with my forearms resting on my shooting bag. Hands completely unsupported. Due to my old eyes, I tend to string a little vertically. Just can't get a sharp lineup of the top of the front sight & top of the rear. Just fuzzy, that's all. I have shot my best that way, anyhow.
    I know every word to this song! Somebody has replaced all my front sights with ones made of felt--they sure get fuzzy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I was born near blind and by His grace my dad was an ophthalmologist. He worked with me on corrective lenses and patches and patches with apertures and had his colleague do surgery for me when I was a toddler. I enjoyed slowly improving vision up into my mid 20's, at which time I was seeing pretty well. Of course, the slow decline of presbyopia has set me back some. But, sights were always fuzzy for me in youth, so I adopted scopes and and aperture sights early on. I was never much of a hand gunner, but if red dots had been around, who knows. I really like the green and red lasers for hand guns. The point is, you can adapt as Time marches on.

prs

While my vision sucks I still shoot better with a finer sight than on most handguns. When I narrow the front sight on my Blackhawks I cut my groups in 1/2.

Boolit Buddy
    A shooing friend is an optometrist; he made me a set of glasses with a diopter in my master eye that focuses at the front sight; problem solved.

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO