Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone Tried to make Flare's for the 19 x 36mm HK projectors?

Anyone Tried to make Flare's for the 19 x 36mm HK projectors?

Just Curious if anyone has or has heard of anyone trying to make 19 x 36mm flare ammunition?

Last edited by Artful; 07-02-2015 at 09:24 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    Hah! So that's what they are!

A while back I bought a box of assorted 'gun stuff' at an auction, and there was a 10-pack of these in it. I didn't know what they were, and neither did any of the people I asked. There were some very creative guesses though.
    Thanks for posting the answer

Attachment 143727

DuaneH , Avery Arms has a flare projector for sale down in S&S
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-EFL-flare-gun
    - he might want to pick those up or the buyer of the projector might want those
    - by the way check out the prices they sell for
    - a sealed 10 pack of 2012 mfg sold for over $100 3 years ago
    - extremely overpriced ammo.
    - and to top it off they seem to have a 5 year shelf life.

Oh, and if your package is opened already
    (DON'T open it if it's sealed)
    could you take some close up pictures and dimensions on the flares?
    Last edited by Artful; 07-05-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I knew a guy that tried to reload the charges that fire tear gas canisters, etc from under a certain local tac team's entry rifles. He probably won't tell you how he did it but I'm pretty sure he can still tell you how much that ruined piece of equipment set him back, lol. And no, it wasn't me!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    Artful, thanks for the additional info. These were sealed when I got them, but I opened the package to get a better look and to see the headstamp. My photography skills are non-existent, but here's another pic.

Attachment 143771

The headstamp reads SIG-PROT 19 above, and F 12 80 VB85 below. The 'F 12 80' seems like a date code to me. If the shelf life is 5 years, then these are well and truly dead. As far as dimensions, the rim and body dia. are both .761", overall length is 1.439". Rim thickness is .062" and case length is 1.310". The extractor groove is quite wide at .118", and the dia. at the bottom of the groove is .648".

DuaneH, thank you I appreciate it - the people on other boards are saying 5 year shelf life for sure fire - so out of a 10 pack I would assume you would have at least 1 dud but at this point they are selling for so much I wouldn't shoot an original, just sell it to a collector.
    je suis charlie

TXGunNut , yes working with pyro ammo could be interesting, I was thinking of road flares as raw material, primer with small charge of holy black to launch - from pictures it appears that the projectile is lightweight aluminum cup that gets almost consumed by the flare once launched.

je suis charlie

Safety equipment. Always has expiration date. Unless you are running a commercial vessel they are still good. Rather have 10 old ones left than be out if I need them. I have some from the 70's 12ga. still burn nice.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Buddy
    People have made flares, etc for 37mm launchers. Should be about the same. Here's one.

http://wn.com/how_to_make_a_37mm_shell__firework_-

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO