MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

I baked 20 and they look fine,a few "whiteish" spots before going in the oven, but none after baking. 5 passed wipe/smash . So because they did that, my money would be on them being OK with the second coat.
    Just something I had never come across before.
    Thanks Trev on the non-bake period too. That means I can stock pile and just have ONE bake session rather than multiple.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I baked 20 and they look fine,a few "whiteish" spots before going in the oven, but none after baking. 5 passed wipe/smash . So because they did that, my money would be on them being OK with the second coat.
    Just something I had never come across before.
    Thanks Trev on the non-bake period too. That means I can stock pile and just have ONE bake session rather than multiple.
    Great news.
    Hope all is well now.

Boolit Man
    Have we got a distributor in Oz yet? I want some mould release !

Boolit Master
    Actually I wouldn't mind trying some mold release also.If you want the coating in Oz buy it straight from Joe. Pat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SpotHound View Post
    Have we got a distributor in Oz yet? I want some mould release !
    Just to confirm things, Hi-Tek products, (Coatings, Mold release), are all made and supplied from Australia.
    Mold release is available as a concentrate and as an Aerosol.
    As these are all DG, Class 3 flammable goods, and require road transport.
    Unless it is ordered with other materials, costs become prohibitive for a single item due to minimum freight costs, and also being a DG material.

Boolit Master
    Hey Hi-Tek, is there a minimum powder mix? I find myself buying more and more powder colors. I can only cast so many boolits. Is the minimum mix 20/100??? It's getting cold here and casting season is slowly going away, Can I safely mix a 10/50 and coat with confidence? I ordered two new colors and have one one last cast to coat. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Hey Hi-Tek, is there a minimum powder mix? I find myself buying more and more powder colors. I can only cast so many boolits. Is the minimum mix 20/100??? It's getting cold here and casting season is slowly going away, Can I safely mix a 10/50 and coat with confidence? I ordered two new colors and have one one last cast to coat. Thanks.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your question and buying more coloured coatings.
    Which colours did you order?

Mixing up 10 powder to 50 mls solvent is OK, as long as you are happy that you can reproduce your mix.
    If you mix 20 gms powder 100 mls solvent of coating mix, and, if you dont use it all, as long as it is kept cool, out of sunlight, in well sealed container, from what I have been told, that after about 6 months, the mixture seems to work OK after re-mixing well.
    I suppose, that you will have to decide, just how much coating mixture will be left after you make up a 100 mls, and, after you use some, is it worth the effort to save a small amount of mixture after you finish coating.
    If you have 50 mls left after coating, and, if you are happy to try and save that for next season, then it should all good hopefully.
    After storage, you may need a little more Acetone, and the colour may be slightly darker.
    Then simply try to coat a few only with the old mix, and see how things go.
    If it is found OK after storage, then again, all is good.
    Hope I have answered your question.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 10-25-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Hi, Thanks for your question and buying more coloured coatings. Which colours did you order?
    Zombie green and Black 1035 (be here tomorrow). I find myself casting boolits just so I can coat them with new colors. Great product. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Zombie green and Black 1035 (be here tomorrow). I find myself casting boolits just so I can coat them with new colors. Great product. Thanks
    Ain't that the truth...great product! We've become HT zombies, slaves to memorizing colors
    Ohhh, Joe... How's that Jacket-like coating coming? You know you want to.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgundrums View Post
    Ain't that the truth...great product! We've become HT zombies, slaves to memorizing colors
    Ohhh, Joe... How's that Jacket-like coating coming? You know you want to.
    You have not yet realised, that we sent a hidden subliminal message with every coating that Hypnotises all users into using more and more products...lol...lol

Seriously, the closest colour that you may be looking for is the Bronze 500. From comments received, that seems the closest colour to a Jacket type.
    If you over cook them, they darken but are very nice looking.
    I have pictures with 10 minutes and 20 minutes baking at 200C, but I don't know how to post them on this site.
    I will ask Ausglock if he can steer me through this picture posting method, or alternatively send him the photos to post for me.
    I am worried, that he may charge me consultancy fees....

Boolit Buddy
    My Zombie Green is here!!! Can't wait to try it out!

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a craigslist household convection oven for $30 last weekend. It really made a huge difference in the consistency of my bullets. With the toaster ovens I could easily tell they had hot spots and huge temperature swings and i would get some bullets that were darker than others in the batch. All of that has went away and best of all I can control temp in 5 degree increments. It held 390 degrees pretty easily today and was verified with two seperate thermometers.

I saw a guy on a Facebook casting group that applied his coating using an extra bowl on his vibratory tumbler. He said it worked well so I decided to try it today. I picked an extra bowl from harbor freight and started with 200 of my 40 cal 180grs. Let them tumble for about 5 seconds with no coating, did a quick circular squirt of coating around the bowl and 20 seconds later they were perfectly coated. Its a bit loud but it doesnt take long to coat them. Ended up doing 1200 today.

Last edited by andre3k; 10-27-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Are they the Accurate Molds 40 cal 180 pills??
    Mine throws light at 178gn.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    No these are the now defunct Hardline Industries molds. Excellent molds. These come out right at 180 gns.

Though I would try my hand at hollow pointing some of the HiTek 308s in 1035 Gold. They didn't look as good as I wanted but this should help with the expansion. This alloy is about 16 BHN.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Hollow Point.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	152144

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Hollow Point.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	152145

Drilling after coating is the only way to do it with the Forester hollow point bit. You have to mount the whole cartridge to do the work.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Meet the family

I can'stop........

Boolit Buddy
    Nice looking crew.....

WOW 6 sets of twins!!

I increased my workforce by 1400 last week, but I think some of them will be fired next week. (see what I did there).

Also DTPC a few for novelty sake.. Now I have done both I know for sure that PC is a whole lot more work over a longer period with more mess and less in the finished bucket.
    The only positive is some of the brighter colours possible.. and that in itself is not enough to sway me from HT coating.

Hitek is sooo boring , clean,fast,reliable, and just plain works..
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    WOW 6 sets of twins!!

I increased my workforce by 1400 last week, but I think some of them will be fired next week. (see what I did there).

Also DTPC a few for novelty sake.. Now I have done both I know for sure that PC is a whole lot more work over a longer period with more mess and less in the finished bucket.
    The only positive is some of the brighter colours possible.. and that in itself is not enough to sway me from HT coating.

Hitek is sooo boring , clean,fast,reliable, and just plain works..
    ive had the same ol' liquid green for years. I remember Bullets being a nice green like these. A few months ago I mixed up some of that same green and it's a muddy looking goose shi* green. I'm guessing it's age had to do with that. S/W tested fine though.
    Last edited by Shotgundrums; 11-02-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgundrums View Post
    ive had the same ol' liquid green for years. I remember Bullets being a nice green like these. A few months ago I mixed up some of that same green and it's a muddy looking goose shi* green. I'm guessing it's age had to do with that. S/W tested fine though.
    I am not surprised at you finding that colour after years of storage.
    The resin system, will darken with age, and go a tan to brownish colour.
    This will certainly affect final colour of the coatings.
    Main thing is, that the coating should still work OK, as long as you realise, that the colour will be different to original, after such long term storage.
    With the powdered versions, the darkening with storage is minimised, as long as product is stored in well sealed containers, out of sunlight and kept in a cool area.