Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornet primers

I have a 22 K Hornet and have used pistol primers with H110, 2400, & IMR 4227. Groups with all these powders and pistol primers are fantastic and 100 yards.

When it comes to powder, just remember that all Winchester powders are "ball" powders. That means they control the burn rate by coating the individual powder kernels with chemicals that don't burn or are more difficult to ignite. Just another reason I always thought Winchester powders were a little more nasty or "dirty" than most other powders. But that's just my opinion.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

I've only used SPP for 22Hornet. excellent results with 2400. Your daughter may also enjoy primer only rounds with a 22 caliber pellet pushed into the case mouth.

Banned

Thanks for explaining about the Zastavas, turns out I have one and didn't realize, Charles Daily in 7.62x39.

I shoot different loads through my Savage 219 and my Stevens 322. The 219 is for really light loads (subsonic or thereabouts with plain based) and the 322 is for slightly faster, gas checked loads.

The .22 Hornet is the most fun for the buck a guy can have in my opinion.

Got some very encouraging results at 50m today using CCI small pistol under H4227. 2400 and Lil Gun not so much. More to follow.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I always use SPP but I get more dramatic results during load development by changing seating length and giving my reloads a little crimp.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Got some very encouraging results at 50m today using CCI small pistol under H4227. 2400 and Lil Gun not so much. More to follow.
    Try AA1680, start with 10 grains. I found what I was looking for at 11.2 gr. YMMV

Boolit Buddy

I've always had the best performance from the Hornet with Remington 6 1/2 primers and either Lil'Gun or 1680 powder. The Hornet is the only bottleneck (?) cartridge that I have loaded for that gives me better accuracy with a crimp than without.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Master

with J's I use CCI small rifle with IMR4227...very tight groups at 100 yds.
    I did try CCI small pistol with the same powder/load but could not tell any significant difference in the group size at 100 yds. As usual the rifle/load is more accurate than I am.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Well Lil Gun is certainly picky when it comes to primers. Tried 8gr of powder under a new style Lyman 225415, .2255 diameter, Hornady GC.

I started with CCI small pistol at 50m:

Then thought the ball type powder might appreciate a hotter Winchester small rifle powder. It did!

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    My rather limited experience:
    I have two Hornets. My goal in the Hornet is to duplicate .22rf loads. It is cheaper shooting in a day and age of ammo-hoarding and sky high rim fire prices.
    If I need more, I get out the 223 or 22-50.
    Cast my own pills, and brass lasts forever.
    I always use mag primers with ball powder.

The Ruger No. 3 cared little about primers. Individual loads often grouped better with one primer or another.

But the old BRNO really preferred small pistol primers. Always thought it might be due to a weaker firing pin strike on the softer, thinner pistol primer.

I am surprised more people don't use the Rem 6 1/2 primer. Since as far as I know it's the only one designed for small capacity CF rifle cases. Federal SR would be my next choice. But those CCI are definitely working for Jeff.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    Exactly what Larry Gibson said. However my best Hornet j-bullet load is 40grn Sierra Varminter over 12.5,Lil'Gun and WSR primer @1.78" oal.

Well K Hornet %0 grain Hornady Bullet IMR 4227 10.5 grains 14'' barrel 2.5 X 8 Leupold scope first three .325 center to center fourth shot opened the group to .380 Small pistol primers I fire form with this load as well .

Boolit Master

Jeff,
    A good friend of mine (Jim Carmichel) did an extensive test series on the Hornet for Outdoor Life magazine a few years ago and came to the conclusion that small pistol primers worked MUCH better than any of the small rifle primers out there. If you can find the old issue that has that writeup in it it'd be worth reading. I don't remember most of the particulars, but I do remember CCI small Pistol primers and lil gun being a good combination along with NOT trying to turn it into a magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    Jeff,
    A good friend of mine (Jim Carmichel) did an extensive test series on the Hornet for Outdoor Life magazine a few years ago and came to the conclusion that small pistol primers worked MUCH better than any of the small rifle primers out there. If you can find the old issue that has that writeup in it it'd be worth reading. I don't remember most of the particulars, but I do remember CCI small Pistol primers and lil gun being a good combination along with NOT trying to turn it into a magnum.
    I'd like to see that article. The CCI small pistol primers did not do at all well with the Lil Gun though in my tests but did with H4227 which leads me to think the issue is not so much the case volume but the type of powder. I might try some Unique just for a hoot and see how that goes as I understand it is very easy to light.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Obviously the best primer to use is dependent upon what powder is used.
    Then that is complicated by what you can get where you live in this world.
    For the bullet you want to shoot.

Unique lights easy but it ignites slowly, if that makes any sense. Result is IME you can knock the bullet down the bore with a hot primer before the powder gets to burning. I have never used the 22 Hornet but have had that issue in larger cases. 140gr plain base in a 30-30 over 8.0 grains Unique and a Federal LR primer. Bullet makes it out the barrel but gun is full of unburned powder. Happened three or four times in 400 rounds. 30-30 case is not a very large case for a large rifle primer. About the size of a 44 mag revolver case. WE would think it odd to use a large rifle primer in a 44 mag revolver to light Unique.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

I have a BRNO (CZ) ZKW 465 made in 1949 chambered for the .22 Hornet. I nearly went bald trying to get it to shoot straight! Everything changed when I switched from small rifle primers to small pistol primers. I am currently using Winchester Small Pistol Primers with S265 (Similar propellant to IMR 4227 and 2400).

Good luck to you, it is a sweet little cartridge!

Lil Gun will not produce good groups in the hornet period H110 2400 and IMR4227. I've been shooting this caliber for 8 years all the time. This is my 100 handgun I've manage to collect over 700 brass know.

Boolit Grand Master

12.7 of Lil Gun with 40 grain V-Maxs will do 5/8 to 3/4" MOA for five shots out of my CZ 527. I get about 1 MOA out of my TC Super 14 for five.