Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Increasing Bullet Dia.

Boolit Master

Increasing Bullet Dia.

OK I have been given a BUNCH of factory 250 gr .452 dia JHP Bullets

I had a thought today as I was laying in a MRI machine getting my head scanned again (Migraines)

I don't shoot many of jacketed out of the 45 Colt

Could I bump them up to .460 and play around with the 45/70 as a ground hog gun ?

I made a Swag die set up to make .460 bullets ....way over built and a bit slow , but it works
    So I was thinking ( dangerous sometimes ) if I made a hollow point nose plug and increase the dia. of the bullets to .460
    I could load some low pressure ground hog killing loads

Well this work ?
    Also can I do it in 1 pass , or should I first make them over sized and then swag them down to .460 dia. ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Moderator Emeritus

I think it will work, but why not just give it a try and see for yourself? I've got all kinds of sample bullets laying around that I've run through my various swaging dies just to see what happens...

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Swage them up.. I wouldn't go oversize then back down..give it a try. Might be a bit of a stretch though. D

I know of a guy that bumped up jacketed 0.410" (41 Mag bullets) to 0.416" for a 416 Rem Mag.

Boolit Buddy

Make sure that they are jacketed, not plated, even the Berry's I don't think would take 0.008" bumping up without cracking or breaking.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

I've been hurt in more ways than you can imagine…nothing, I mean nothing has been more debilitating or painful than the migraines I used to suffer as a kid!
    I promise you this…Tonight I'll speak to my God about you…I hope and will pray that you never again have another one!

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

OK thanks
    These are Hornady bullets ....But for some reason my Uncle dumped about 500 of them in a box and sat the rest of the boxs on top

I need to turn a HP nose punch before I can start swaging ....then I will do a few and see if I can get them to group before I do a bunch
    No use swaging a bunch and then not getting them to group worth a darn

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Boolit Buddy
    I am curious why you are bumping to 460 instead of the standard 458? I see that you made a 460 die but historically I have followed the rule that jacketed bullets should match the bore diameter and lead boolits should be 1-2 thousandths over.

Boolit Master

I will be using these in a H&R rifle
    To say the chamber is over sized ....is a understatement
    I am bumping them up to help fill the chamber mainly

Also I don't have a .458 swag die , but I made one for .460
    So I will use that and not have to make a new die

John

Hey John how is the new stragey on the migrains doing? I remember you were going into a new program, sure hope it helps, those migraines just really stink.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    I use an old Swag-o-Matic for that sort of thing and it works pretty good. I have been making an 85gr SWC using 50BMG primer cups for the jacket in .308. Then if I need some for a 32S&W long I just mash them up to 314. It would be easy enough to make a HP top punch and mash them up to .460. I don't think .002 over would hurt a thing. I would start a couple grains lower on powder.

Boolit Master

Migraines are a ongoing battle
    I spent 2 weeks at a clinic that dealt with Trama Induced Migraines ....what I have
    I have a new set of meds
    But IMO the new Meds only work a little better than the old meds

So I had a MRI , CT Scan and a X ray of my head
    They hope to find a way to help me

In a few weeks I go in for a Nerve Block to "Help" controll the headackes in the back of my head ( Not Migraines )

The Doc I see again in 3 weeks said , I may never get rid of the migraines , but he hopes to help reduce the number
    I hope so as shooting ( loud noise ) is a cause of some of my migraines

Thanks for thinking of me
    John

Boolit Mold

Those must be SOME groundhogs you have out there in OH, to be using a 45/70 on them. Here in NY, all you would have left is tails and whiskers.
    Cunctos interficite quicquid est terroris. Exsurgat Deus exstat eos.

Boolit Buddy
    I found a product call Migraspray that at least stops the progression for me. It can be the difference between being able to go home and having to stay where ever I was when it started. They also pass quicker for me. About half of the people that I know who tried it found some level of relief. The active ingriediant is an herb called feverfew and does not interact with other meds. Will cost you around $30 so not much cost to try. Good luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by enreynolds View Post
    Those must be SOME groundhogs you have out there in OH, to be using a 45/70 on them. Here in NY, all you would have left is tails and whiskers.
    I want to make sure they are dead
    But the Eagles get a lot of the dead Ground Hogs ....so they would be out a free meal LOL
    I have a Bald Eagle nest on my place ....when my brothers laying chickens get old or quit laying
    They take a 1 way ATV ride out to the field by the woods ....And the Eagles know how to do the rest LOL

Thanks
    John