Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lead extrusion die for rockchucker press

Boolit Buddy

lead extrusion die for rockchucker press

anyone making a die to extrude 45 acp bullets into 3/16 lead wire?
    GerryM

Boolit Master

Someone here makes them, at least using 44 Mag bullets. I bought one a few years ago to make both .250 & .187 wire. I can't remember who right now but someone here with a better memory than mine will chime in.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Someone here makes them, at least using 44 Mag bullets. I bought one a few years ago to make both .250 & .187 wire. I can't remember who right now but someone here with a better memory than mine will chime in.

Bob
    Lafaun used to make one like that. He's out of the business I believe.
    Bill

Boolit Master

Lafaun was the guy! Good thing I don't need any more. I now use a big 1 1/2 inch die on a HydraSwage hydraulic press & can fill reels full of wire of any diameter I want. The Rockchucker was a real pain to use. Could only use the top of the stroke & then turn the die down a couple of turns & stroke again until the die was all the way down. Each 300gr 44Mag bullet made about a 2 inch length of .250 wire & about a 5 inch length of .187 wire.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy
    Ok then how about one that uses a shop press

Boolit Man
    Not for a Rockchucker but I see Richard has a small die you might check out.

http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&...ic=587&from=75

Boolit Master

I have one that I could part with. Pm if interested. It takes 44 cal if memory serves me.

In Remembrance

I got my extruding dies for making lead wire from cast Boolits from chuckbuster. Hes about out of the game for that also.
    What most of us have found is that the process of using lead wire, and then chunking rough pieces to create cores...... Goes SLOWER than casting the cores in a core mold. I can pour 16 cores in my core mold in 30 seconds. Thirty two a minute is a lot faster, and the cores are more uniform, than the extruding process.
    Seek out Mihec or one of the mold makers who know more about mold making, to get you molds that make good cores that fall out easily. Adjustable core molds are available, but very expensive.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Out of the Lead Wire Die business is correct but we do have the Ultimate Cannelure Tool ready to go....

Be Safe
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    Out of the Lead Wire Die business is correct but we do have the Ultimate Cannelure Tool ready to go....

Be Safe
    Kevin

And a mighty fine tool that is! I have no intent to ever part with mine

I use a combination of cores and wire. For the cost of wire it is hard to argue with the various suppliers out there. Yes it is easy to use a core mold but I enjoy using the wire even more for the convience whereas I like the mold for the cost savings. When doing cores for the smaller diameter I find it to be much more hassle to cast cores than it is to cut wire. Something about heating up the pot, getting the mold warmed up, letting the cores cool is not appealing in swaging for me (whereas I love casting actual boolits even though it is nearly the same downfalls...go figure!)

OP- Did you find your die ?

Banned
    About casting cores, are these then run through a squirt die or used as cast?

Boolit Man
    As for me, I always run my cast cores through a core swage die.

Banned
    Seems it would take a long time to cast 1000 cores, where with a spool of lead wire you can shear the slugs off pretty quick. And then there is the weight issue that casting doesn't allow for much variance.

But if one were not looking to make a huge amount, it could be cheaper than buying a whole spool of lead wire.

Boolit Man
    With my core mold, I can get quit a range of weights as it is adjustable. Take a look at Corbin's (either Dave's or Richard's), you can see they are made to give a large adjustment. It is a little slower, but with scrap soft lead, it is a lot less expensive to cast. That said, I do use lead wire for my .224's as casting that little thing is tedious.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    anyone making a die to extrude 45 acp bullets into 3/16 lead wire?
    GerryM
    What base are you using for the bottom punch? Shell holder or a Blackmon screw in on the ram.
    Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kc3ak View Post
    With my core mold, I can get quit a range of weights as it is adjustable. Take a look at Corbin's (either Dave's or Richard's), you can see they are made to give a large adjustment. It is a little slower, but with scrap soft lead, it is a lot less expensive to cast. That said, I do use lead wire for my .224's as casting that little thing is tedious.
    Very true you can save some money use scrap soft lead, I figure my savings are around $0.01 per bullet casting compared to cutting wire (granted this doesn't include the cost of the mold)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post

Be Safe
    Kevin
    Not the first time I've heard this from Kevin, however I would like to see a picture of it. Seen others and even own one of the others, but not seen one of his works of art.
    Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    Not the first time I've heard this from Kevin, however I would like to see a picture of it. Seen others and even own one of the others, but not seen one of his works of art.
    Bill
    I'll have to see if I took any pictures of the one I got from him, it is very very nice. Unfortunately it's packed up since I'm in the middle of a move so it might be a while before I can take another picture if I don't already have one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
    I'll have to see if I took any pictures of the one I got from him, it is very very nice. Unfortunately it's packed up since I'm in the middle of a move so it might be a while before I can take another picture if I don't already have one.
    Thanks