Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salvation of a very rusty bore ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Very food???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably a typo. F and G are next to each other on the keyboard. Insert Good and move on.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    As bad as I text on my phone I wasn’t pointing fingers, just didn’t compute for me.
    Duh, I could have had a V-8!

Boolit Master

Got a steam cleaner? Pull nipple, hang from tang on hanger wire and steam it good from flash hole. Amazing how much crap comes out! I would start it there.

Boolit Master
    F & G are very close to each other, on the key board, we know that. we all have struck a wrong key at least once and missed it? i still know what was meant. jmho.

Thanks all . Like stated she's an original so I'm not gonna get real aggressive with anything long as I can get a patch and ball down the barrel semi easily and my buddy can shoot a few shots that good enough for him . Should have it in my hands in a week or so will post some pictures when I do . Again thanks

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I cleaned a bargain Euroarms M1861 .58 Springfield replica barrel with WD40 Rust Remover Soak. Looked really badly rusted and could not make much headway with conventional bore cleaning methods.

My first thoughts was I would need a new barrel as it was rusted up like a piece of pipe that had been outside a long time. Nothing to lose so I pulled the barrel off the rifle/musket...plugged the nipple with wax and filled the barrel with the WD 40 rust soak stuff and let it set two hours. Dumped the barrel out and gave the bore a good brushing and it was way better!! Two more times with the WD40 rust soak at two hours work time and it was free of rust and not as severely damaged as I had first thought.

Anyhow...the rifled musket bore is pitted but has rifling and shoots well enough for me. I was shooting .570 patched balls with really good accuracy....I was just thrilled it shot so well as I really considered the barrel done for

Boolit Buddy
    Absolutly!

Several years back a good friend asked me to fit a cartridge cylinder to his Ruger Old Army..............rough bore?.........naw, more like non existent fits. I tried to clean the thing up as the exterior was in very good condition but no go. Told him about it and suggested a new tube, but he declined and said to go with the replacement cylinder. Fitting was no problem and when we took the thing to a private range he placed round after round in the bull at 27 yards........using commercial smokeless stuff! I remain amazed as it was truly the roughest bore I've ever fooled with..........he did comment later that it was a a real problem cleaning tho!

Don't write the bbl off till you try it!

Once you have the loose rust out you can make a leather lap to smooth the pits.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    Once you have the loose rust out you can make a leather lap to smooth the pits.
    ?????