RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Range changing - C2 in Virginia Beach

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Poppy, contact Kent and plead your case. He's human too and does have a heart. He has to watch the bottom line like any other business, and he told me he is actually losing money at the $550 level. This range is completely private.
    Wayne, I appreciate your concern. I don’t know Kent, or anybody else associated with C2. As a casual Patron of his establishment I seriously doubt any communications from me would have any affect on his business decisions. He certainly couldn’t lower prices based on one person‘s needs. If he did it for one, he would have to do it for others. I simply could never justify paying that kind of money for casual range visits. I am sure that there are a lot of other casual patrons that feel the same way. As neverhome mentioned if he’s losing money why would he limit his clientele?
    Anyway thank you again for your concern
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Only range I knew of at VB was the 5" guns down the road.
    Last edited by popper; 06-09-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    What happened to the dnr of many states keeping good ranges open within reasonable distances so it’s citizens could go practice every so often?

At $550.00 a year, it'll be for sale in no time.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by odfairfaxsub View Post
    What happened to the dnr of many states keeping good ranges open within reasonable distances so it’s citizens could go practice every so often?
    As you may know since you’re from NOVA, we do have a handful of “sighting in” ranges scattered through some of the WMAs. Closest one to where I am in Norfolk is Chickahomony. Maybe an hour and a half away. Closer to Richmond than me. Basically it’s one range for like 3 million people as the others are farther out in the sticks. To add insult to injury, the sighting in ranges are only open 7 months a year. Gets too crazy at those anyway. Just not pleasant.

Boolit Buddy
    I took some leave this week so on a lark I drove all the way down to Dare County, NC to a nice range. Outer Banks Gun Club.
    Nice, tidy range. 20 bucks for the whole day. 100 bucks a year membership. No RSO but everyone was professional and considerate. If a new shooter showed up no one had a problem going cold for them. Pleasant day. I doubt I’ll go often because of the distance but it’s nice to have options.
    Oh and I met another castboolits member there called 6.5 mike that gave me a lesson on paper patching.
    Good stuff

Banned

Kansas shut one down here this past year. I used to go to it and shoot now and then, but hadn't in many years. As usual, idiots doing unsafe things was the cause, you just can't seem to have an unsupervised range. It really is too bad.

When I was stationed at Fort Leavenworth, I used a range the state of Missouri had not far away which was also unsupervised. My job was such that I could get out there at odd hours when there weren't many people, but I went once on a weekend and wouldn't ever do it again, crowded with idiots who were accidents waiting to happen.

Boolit Master

For that kind of money I would just buy a parcel of land and make my own range, may even be cheaper.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    For that kind of money I would just buy a parcel of land and make my own range, may even be cheaper.
    If you can fin a parcel of land that is big enough and remote enough to have your own range for less than $550 a year, please share.

Actually, I believe this is the reason why the range situation is so poor here in a state that is very gun friendly; everybody knows someone who is a land owner who will let them shoot on their place.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    If you can fin a parcel of land that is big enough and remote enough to have your own range for less than $550 a year, please share.

Actually, I believe this is the reason why the range situation is so poor here in a state that is very gun friendly; everybody knows someone who is a land owner who will let them shoot on their place.
    It's available, you just have to look and do your homework for your area. Here, I bought an 8 (rounded up) acre parcel of land that I hunt and shoot at, it was $5500 and taxes are about $50-$70 a year. Now, I can't do much on it, build wise, but I didn't purchase it for that. If I wanted bigger I could have but it would be a longer drive, now it's about 30-45 minutes from my house. I may in the near future buy a big enough parcel to build a house and still be able to build a shooting range and hunt on, but that is after I retire again.

Take a look n this site: Landwatch.com Many are going for just over 3k an acre, and you can sell it a few years down for possibly more than you buy it for.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Omega, I envy your real estate situation there in Tn.
    In Va, the site shows the CHEAPEST 8 acre parcel is right around 20k.
    Obviously it doesn’t show every possible available plot in the state but you get the point. Every state is different

It's available, you just have to look and do your homework for your area. Here, I bought an 8 (rounded up) acre parcel of land that I hunt and shoot at, it was $5500 and taxes are about $50-$70 a year. Now, I can't do much on it, build wise, but I didn't purchase it for that. If I wanted bigger I could have but it would be a longer drive, now it's about 30-45 minutes from my house. I may in the near future buy a big enough parcel to build a house and still be able to build a shooting range and hunt on, but that is after I retire again.

Take a look n this site: Landwatch.com Many are going for just over 3k an acre, and you can sell it a few years down for possibly more than you buy it for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neverhome View Post
    Obviously it doesn’t show every possible available plot in the state but you get the point. Every state is different
    That is only $2500 an acre, with the right 8 acres you can get at least 100 yards, my longest range is right around there, hilltop to hilltop though. At the bottom, were I pistol shoot the hills make great backstops. And again, that money can be regained if you sell, land seldom goes down in value.
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Fair point but as you said “with the right 8 acres”...
    I know personally I wouldn’t want just enough. And of course like I said those were the cheapest parcels and literally only a few. You’d also have to take into account distance from home, county/city firearms laws, hunting laws if one hoped to hunt it. It’s just not as simple everywhere.

But I do 100% agree with you that the ideal state is to own your own property to shoot on!
    Maybe when the stars align and all these dang children of mine are gone and not sucking the life out of me!

That is only $2500 an acre, with the right 8 acres you can get at least 100 yards, my longest range is right around there, hilltop to hilltop though. At the bottom, were I pistol shoot the hills make great backstops. And again, that money can be regained if you sell, land seldom goes down in value.

Banned

I wish I could have found something like that, as it was, the wife and I got this place, 18 acres with the house on it. It was an old rock quarry, abandonded about 60 years ago, so much more rolling and wooded than it might otherwise be, but I do have a 100 yard range. Nearest real neighbors are at least a half mile away, and with what's around, that isn't real likely to change. The farmers that own the big parcel north of me probably won't, but if for some reason they did and someone wanted to start a housing development there, I'd be screwed. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Maybe I need to start watching land listings more closely, but I highly doubt I'd find a deal like that one of yours, I am envious.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverhome View Post
    In Fauqier county it’s from 12-20 k an acre here. Sucks

Boolit Grand Master

In Fauqier county it’s from 12-20 k an acre here. Sucks
    $25k+ per acre in most places by me. Middle of the state is cheaper but can still be as high. Was shocked when I saw 5.5 acres w/ a 2,000 sq ft house, garage/barn w/ an apartment and a pond for $150,000. This was in the Endless Mountains region. Not much around and unfortunately that property was all over social media and a bidding war has ensued.

Boolit Master
    Just a thought ,but agricultural acreage is leased quite reasonable .

Boolit Buddy
    Well, Kent must be losing his mind.

Check out the ACTUAL price schedule for C2...

https://c2shootingcenter.com/c2-memberships/

The membership I’d want that provides full access to long and short ranges is 1250 bucks a year!

No way in hell am I paying even half of that. I loved that range and went there for years but he won’t get a dime of my money with a crappy cash grab like that.

ANYWAY, today I drove the 100 miles down to NC prepared to purchase a $75 dollar yearly membership at Dare County Gun Club. I get there and flash my military ID and suddenly I’m walking out with a COMPLIMENTARY membership that isn’t for 1 year but for 3 and matches the expiration date on my ID.
    I was flabbergasted! The lady looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo because I was thanking her so profusely.
    So for 3 years(or more if I stay active and in this area) I just need gas money. I was already driving 40 miles one way to C2 anyway.

I’m ignoring my vehicle mileage so don’t bring it up and ruin it for me!

Boolit Master

The range I use is owned by the county.
    $65 a year fee....dale

wow i feel bad for some of the guys here my dues here for a private range is $25 a year,I volunteer and clean up and do work details to fix things up.