RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy
    I am trying to print this thing but I don't know exactly what the necessary parts are that's needs to be printed up front, so far I have the base and .45 shell plate. I see parts called nose down which I don't want the bullet to go nose down. In the text file I see these but I dont know if its a complete example, in videos I see so many printed pieces and those pieces are not in the files I have.

Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Tyler, quick question, in the OpenScad settings for say 45 ACP have you seen where it will not let you type in 11.5 but only 11 or 12? My version appears to only allow hole numbers when I edit "caliber". Thoughts?

Boolit Bub
    I read the manual yesterday, wow! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskJ View Post
    Tyler, quick question, in the OpenScad settings for say 45 ACP have you seen where it will not let you type in 11.5 but only 11 or 12? My version appears to only allow hole numbers when I edit "caliber". Thoughts?
    I have never seen that no. I can put in any number I want there.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskJ View Post
    Try comma, your regional setting may affect that...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I don't get brims......I understand what they might do.....take the edge problems further from the print, but I don't understand what you do with them once the print is finished.....file 'em off? and that looks good? Dumber than a stone here.

Also answering your question in your earlier post. (I load with a R.C. and Pro 2000, and also the Pro Chucker in my video above. I'm having zero problems with clearance because I don't use those tall things on my die plates.....just a feed die. Where I switch is just under the collator using a proximity sensor. They make work for you better if you have clearance problems. TylerR has the stl's for those under adapters in his database.

One more thing.....I actually was successful making a tube case feeder for my Pro 2000. I'll post a link below for you so you can see what I did long before I found a 3d printer to play with....... but one of my next projects is to print another collator to feed pistol brass for that feeder too........once done, all of my progressives from the Lee APP to the ProChucker 7 will have collators, case and bullet, available to them.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph.../#post-8162302

I'm set up to run the collator with LED/photosensor, it appears we do not have a way to connect the drop tube under the collator, or hopefully, I'm missing something...?

Boolit Buddy

Question

Quote Originally Posted by silahtar View Post
    I'm set up to run the collator with LED/photosensor, it appears we do not have a way to connect the drop tube under the collator, or hopefully, I'm missing something...?
    Ummm, not sure what exactly you are asking here. I tried my best to make the manual in a step-by-step format.

Your collator connects to the top of the drop tube via a tube spring for which we have provided spring adapters of varying sizes.

The bottom of your drop connects to your bullet feed die.

Hope that helps.

Boolit Mold
    Tyler,

My adapter seems to work pretty well.(tested with 9mm and 223) If someone is interested in it here is the link for it. I am not the best at modeling but it functions correctly. I also have attached my mounting system to the 750 for anyone to use if wanted.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...sd?usp=sharing

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    Ummm, not sure what exactly you are asking here. I tried my best to make the manual in a step-by-step format.

Your collator connects to the top of the drop tube via a tube spring for which we have provided spring adapters of varying sizes.

The bottom of your drop connects to your bullet feed die.

Hope that helps.
    Sure, manual is clear enough. I was asking if there is a way I can install the drop tube right under the collator. But raising it with a clear tube may work as well... Thanks tanders...

Sure, manual is clear enough. I was asking if there is a way I can install the drop tube right under the collator. But raising it with a clear tube may work as well... Thanks tanders...
    I l believe if you are looking to put the drop tube directly under the collator that would be GWS's solution, no?

Printing is pretty much done, electronics box is about to be completed, waiting on the motor and electronic parts. I have one last hurdle to deal with though, wanted to ask your opinion on how to deal with it. I'm using an RCBS Piggyback Conversion kit and a Pro200 auto-index progressive press. These won't accommodate case feeding, so currently focused on bullet feeding only. Obviously, the shell plates for these units have a relatively smaller diameter so dies on the tool head are way too close to each other. As a result, as seen in the first picture, the powder measure is pushing the drop tube sideways when the shell plate is lowered. It will hangup on the down-stroke as well.

AM drop dupe was shorter overall so it worked out for this setup. The current drop tube, even without the spring adaptor, is a bit too tall. Wonder if the off-set drop tube adaptor for LEE APP could go in-between the Hornady adaptor and the drop tube, or, is there plans to develop shorter drop tubes, which would be some work as there are different IDs involved...

Thought I ask... Thanks...

Attachment 274006Attachment 274007Attachment 274008
    I am whipping up an adapter which will allow you to convert from the standard drop tube interface, to an APP offset. This would allow you to accomplish your goal of getting more clearance. I will post them in just a bit for you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    I am whipping up an adapter which will allow you to convert from the standard drop tube interface, to an APP offset. This would allow you to accomplish your goal of getting more clearance. I will post them in just a bit for you to try.
    Just uploaded. give it a shot. So you would go from the hornady die adapter, Then add this new conversion adapter I just uplodaded. "APP_Offset_Drop_Tube_Adapter_Large" Then you should be able to mount on the APP offest adapters and go from there.

Tyler

Printed new APP .32 bullet/brass drop tube. Works like it should! Now I understand why the shorter version is needed.

I really need to print that APP slider for brass. The stock app slider is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Tyler

Printed new APP .32 bullet/brass drop tube. Works like it should! Now I understand why the shorter version is needed.

I really need to print that APP slider for brass. The stock app slider is crap.
    Excellent to hear. I love it when a plan comes together. haha
    Yes, you should print my brass slide. Much better support on the base of the brass.

I have created a new folder called contributors under the main downloads folder. It is here that I will put new projects and concepts in until they get moved to the main project.

Excellent to hear. I love it when a plan comes together. haha
    Yes, you should print my brass slide. Much better support on the base of the brass.
    Printing as we speak...can’t wait to see all those supports come off. Oh boy

Boolit Bub
    Just uploaded. give it a shot. So you would go from the hornady die adapter, Then add this new conversion adapter I just uplodaded. "APP_Offset_Drop_Tube_Adapter_Large" Then you should be able to mount on the APP offest adapters and go from there.
    Thanks a lot, noticed you've uploaded 3 sizes, going with the medium for 9mm... Will let you know how it goes...

Boolit Bub
    It works... Fit perfectly, see picture. Great work Tyler...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	APPAdapter.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	274086

I have one suggestion if you don't mind, I think it may be beneficial to increase the length of the female side of Hornady feeder die adaptor 12mm or so to increase stability (circled in red)... Currently, it is grabbing half of the available surface...

It works... Fit perfectly, see picture. Great work Tyler...

I have one suggestion if you don't mind, I think it may be beneficial to increase the length of the female side of Hornady feeder die adaptor 12mm or so to increase stability (circled in red)... Currently, it is grabbing half of the available surface...
    Excellent. I will go ahead and make those longer. Also realized I only need one sized adapter that will fit all.

OK so there is a new part in the Adapters folder called "Drop_Tube_APP_Offset_Adapter"
    This will connect any adapter that has a male drop tube fitting to fit the APP offset connectors.

All spring adapters now have numbers on the part itself.

There is also a "Flush" version for 8 and 10mm. These are to be used with the #11 Nose Down Slide Plate.
    Last edited by TylerR; 12-28-2020 at 01:48 PM.