MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions and ideas for a large bore revolver

My vote is the redhawk 45lc/45 acp. I shoot 45 super our of mine as well. Plus itll eat the heavy 45 colt loads too. Extremely versatile wheelie

Boolit Master
    S&W Governor (no...a short range toy)

S&W M69 (ok but there have been some QC issues)

Ruger Redhawk .45lc/.45acp (great gun but is heavy)

Ruger Redhawk .44 mag (again, great gun but heavy. I have a 4.2" .41 Magnum is very easy to shoot)

Ruger GP100 10mm/.40 S&W (bought one the first week they were out...GREAT all-around gun)

Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special (...no.)

Ruger Blackhawk. 45lc (a convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP would be great with the 4 5/8" barrel)

If you want to carry the gun a lot, would go with the GP-100 MC in 10mm/.40 or the Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP....and I would lean to the MC....

Have a great time choosing...Bob

Banner Sponsor

I really like packing my 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45Colt. It's light, handy, accurate and being stainless holds up well to lots of weather abuse.
    The 45 operates at lower pressure than the 44, so it's not as hard on the ears should you need to shoot it without ear plugs...
    I put a Hogue monogrip on it. It really helps with heavy loads. I bought mine in 94'. I have a 44 but it just sits in the safe.

Boolit Master

Blackhawk in anything that starts with a “4”!

I have the Stainless Convertible in 10mm/40SW and tickled pink with it. I carry it around the property and in town when running errands. Only thing I would replace it with would be a Flattop 45LC/45ACP but then you have to get those throats redone!

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I have 4 Smith and Wesson M69 revolvers. Shot my 2.75 inch today along with a Blackhawk 45 Colt. No doubt the 2.75 inch M69 has become my favorite handgun period.
    I jave 2 of the 2.75 inch and 2 of the 4.2 inch one of each with a dot sight too.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would vote for a Stainless Blackhawk in 45lc/45acp, a 625 in 45 acp or a 624 in 44 special.

Boolit Master
    A 4"" stainless sounds like what you need. I would spring for a 629. But don't count on finding brass easily. Starline is completely out.

Boolit Master
    I like the 45 ACP revolvers unles you are hunting bear. Just so much ammo available (even some today), easy to reload, easy to find brass, easy to cast for, gentle on powder, accurate, less recoil, etc... I've had more than a few 45 ACP revolvers. My favorite is still an old SW model 1917. I'd love to have one of the Ruger convertibles. I recently acquired a SW 625-4 but haven't had a chance to mess with it much yet.

I guess it all depends on how you want to use the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I’d go for the Blackhawk or Redhawk in 45 Colt and 45 ACP. Anything that needs done in a revolver can be done with a 45 LC. If not, you need a rifle. The 45 ACP allows for conservation of lead and powder along with light recoil.

Close runner up would be the GP-100 in 44 Special. Honestly, if you need more than the 44 Special with a Keith running 1100, well, you may want to reconsider.

Ruger .45, built tough for the working man...you'll get used to carrying it

Boolit Master
    The Smith M69 can easily shoot 44 Magnums, 44 Specials and 44 Russians. And, do it with good results.

Boolit Master
    S&W Governor

S&W M69

Ruger Redhawk .45lc/.45acp

Ruger Redhawk .44 mag

Ruger GP100 10mm/.40 S&W

Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special

Ruger Blackhawk. 45lc

I definitely have no love for the newer Smith and Wesson (WOW I think I could have machined better than the 460 X frame I purchased- and that's saying something!).
    I would vote for the 44 mag Redhawk. I load 44 Russian for fun and the kids, 44 Special for a bit more, 44 Mag for hunting. Just keep your cylinder clean and it's by far the most flexible of the cartridges you mentioned IMHO. If you're recoil sensitive, go for the Bisley. If you're a double action fan - Redhawk. But I truly enjoy my Super Blackhawks.
    I also have owned the GP100 - accuracy was horrifying, shooting 40 short and wimpy made the cylinder jam, and +P loads of either 10mm or 40 resulted in difficult ejection and poor function (yes I sent it back to Ruger - same results after I got it back).
    I have always wanted to start getting a 45 Colt going in a modern revolver (cmon - ELMER KEITH for Pete's Sake!!) But I haven't gotten to that project yet.

I avy DO put a vote in for 45 LC/410 revolvers. My wife carries her Judge in her saddle bags while chasing cows in the hills. Hasn't saved her from any 4 legged critters yet, but it's definitely made a few undesirable encounters with the 2 legged variety result in her and our kids coming home in one piece. (And she can shoot the tar out of that thing too).
    Good luck in your venture!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 03-14-2021 at 01:28 AM.

Boolit Man
    If you're going to carry a lot and shoot a little...5 1/2" .45LC Blackhawk, belt holster.

If you're going to shoot a lot and carry a little...5 1/2" .44 Mag Redhawk, shoulder holster.

You're going to have to look for brass for any of them. Everybody's cleaned out. Starline isn't even accepting backorders for most calibers.

Banned

most bang for the buck in a GOOD gun would be a 4 5/8s blackhawk in 44 mag. 45 colt would work too but with the 44 you can find a wider varity of ammo and even use 44 spec. That said if money was no object a 4 inch 69 all the way.

Boolit Buddy
    First of all I'm going to say, you guys were supposed to make this easier lol.

After reading all the comments, I'll be rereading them a few more times, I'm going to go with the .45 colt/.45acp. I don't have a lot of brass but I have enough to get started. Now I just need to decide between the BH, RH and Governor. I'm not huge on the Gov but the wife prefers the lighter weight. I'm more a fan of the 255gr Keith with 8.5gr of Unique and I'm pretty sure the Gov doesn't want a piece of that.
    Last edited by Cargo; 03-14-2021 at 09:13 AM.
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    My favorite revolver is my Lipsey - Ruger BH 4 5/8” in 44 Special. No mastodons or griz here in the Arkansas; so 44 Special will do whatever is necessary. I had a 6” S&W Model 629, but sold it after I got the BH. Never shot it in 44Magnum, and never fired it in double action. Load my BH with 430”-.431” 240 grain cast swc’s sitting on 6.8 grains of Unique for 894 fps. Accurate and does not whomp me around; too old for that silliness.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Ok, so you have selected the .45 Colt.
    Now from your list,, and comments.

The Governor,, & lighter weight. More felt recoil, as well as a bit more cumbersome to carry.
    The Redhawk, heavier, less felt recoil, and can handle anything (withing SAMMI specs,) easily. Better carrying options. But in general, due to size & weight, many ladies & smaller framed folks feel awkward.
    The Blackhawk. This one is in between the 2 others. So it may be the best compromise from your list. It's not as heavy as the others,, less cumbersome, and in a shorter barrelled version, very handy. Plus,, most ladies can shoot it easier than the other 2. (I teach ladies to shoot, & have for almost 18 years doing NRA WOT clinics.) Thrown in the fact that the convertible Ruger allows the 45 acp, for light & mild stuff, while the Colt can be loaded all over the map. Last selling point,, the expense. It's the least expensive of the 3.

Once again, from your list & desires,, the Ruger Blackhawk, in 45 convertible.

Boolit Grand Master

To add further complication, there are the full-size Ruger Blackhawks and mid framed flat tops. Mid framed flat tops are limited to “Level 2” 45 colt loads. Not sure if they made those in dual cylinder configurations.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    To add further complication, there are the full-size Ruger Blackhawks and mid framed flat tops. Mid framed flat tops are limited to “Level 2” 45 colt loads. Not sure if they made those in dual cylinder configurations.
    Thanks for the info, it would bite to accidentally buy a neutered BH.
    Cargo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    First of all I'm going to say, you guys were supposed to make this easier lol.

After reading all the comments, I'll be rereading them a few more times, I'm going to go with the .45 colt/.45acp. I don't have a lot of brass but I have enough to get started. Now I just need to decide between the BH, RH and Governor. I'm not huge on the Gov but the wife prefers the lighter weight. I'm more a fan of the 255gr Keith with 8.5gr of Unique and I'm pretty sure the Gov doesn't want a piece of that.
    I would (indeed DID) make my decision thusly:

1. The double action and swing-out cylinder reload of the Redhawk make it a more valid defensive arm than the SAO choices in the current era.

2. In the 4.25" round-butt version, the Redhawk is hefty, but not unportable in the right holster.

3. The Redhawk's construction enables you to load to the point where YOU are uncomfortable with the recoil - the gun is less likely to quit before you do.

4. With the broad selection of bullet weights and powder choices, you've got outstanding versatility. Even comfy Peacemaker-level loads were considered adequate for dealing with the other guy's horse back in the day.

5. The .45ACP option is kind of "meh" for me, especially since it requires Ruger's proprietary moon clip (not the ubiquitous M1917 spec one). Still, it gives the gun some versatility that will be attractive to some. If I could have the gun in .45C only or .44 Mag, I would have gone that way, but it's a serious shootin' 'arn.

I'm a fan of loads that are in the "big mass / low to medium velocity" ballpark. Staying in, or slightly exceeding, the recoil level of a full-size 1911 with hardball gives a lot of capability, and I would argue that the only reason for more would be to flatten the trajectory. If I were seriously interested in that, I'd bring a rifle.

And if you're considering arms for Wifey, the Match Target version of the .357 GP-100 without the heavy underlug would never be a bad selection. A 175 grain flat nose out of that format is no joke.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.