Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Experienced casters advice needed -leading issues.

Boolit Bub

Experienced casters advice needed -leading issues.

OK,
    Just returned from the range and I fired off 50 of my first creations. 200 gr. TC 45 ACP , Lyman's #2 mix from Rotometals so I am pretty sure the mix was OK.

They were Alox lubed yesterday and loaded this morning to what should have been a mild load of 6 gr. Unique, CCI LP primer./

Accuracy was great- Using a custom model 1911 I was in the 10 ring consistently at 7 yards all offhand shooting.

Upon returning to the mancave and cleaning the weapon I was dismayed to find a considerable level of streaking down the grooves-evenly distributed through the lenght of the barrel.

In the process of letting Ed's Red work on the gunk as we write.

Where did I get off track?
    Help appreciated.

Gary

Boolit Master

What did you size the casting to?

Boolit Grand Master
    As stated by docone32, That is my question also.

Was accuracy consistent or did the groups open up?? Is your leading just a streak that comes out with some back and forth with a brush, or the kind that seems to be soldered to the bore??

Let us know!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gary0529 View Post

Accuracy was great- Using a custom model 1911 I was in the 10 ring consistently at 7 yards all offhand shooting.

Gary
    ............Of course you'd like ZERO leading, but non-accumulative leading when accompanied by good accuracy isn't a big problem. Neither is it difficult to remove, as basically each boolit fired cleans up the previous and then leaves it's own small bit. A couple passes with a bristle brush and it's history. Not saying don't try to refine the load, just dont' toss the recipe out as worthless.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Did you make sure your barrel was clean before your started?
    If you get a woman involved in the shooting sports you have involved her whole family. This in turn dramatically increases the number of people who support the 2nd Amendment. Please support women in becoming shooters.

Are you going to be there? http://secondamendmentmarch.com/

Boolit Master
    I think I answered this same thread yesteday, but my post is gone? Anyway, this sounds like some copper fouling left in the bore prior to shooting the lead. I've seen this result in a lead "wash" in the grooves, which doesn't really build up against one side of the lands like the classic leading from undersized boolits.

BD

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Especially with high antimony, low tin boolits such as WW. Antimony has barbs and they poke through the "skin" if not enough tin to compensate. Advantage: leading will not build up over time. I personally like to see a minor wash because that lets me know I am pretty much at max velocity with that acceleration curve, proper compensating tin or not. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    How many coats of LLA did you use?

I have only had marginal success with LLA when only using 1 coat. I like using 1 coat of LLA than a coat of Johnsons Paste Wax for bulk pistol bullets.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the great input.
    I cleaned the beejesus out of the barrel, slugged it at .4525 (or as close as my digital Chinese mic can do).

Will give the remaining boolits a second coat of Alox and go back to the range in the next few days and see what shakes.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Gary

You might want to reduce your load. I just checked on Handloads.com and they say for a 200gr LSWC 5.1 grs of Unique is max, giving 810fps. I use that load in my Charles Daley EFS and find it very accruateand no leading.