Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Would you shoot an unfired Vintage Colt Python?

Boolit Bub
    If you sell it buy something your father would appreciate.
    A Korth, NightHawk, Manurhin MR73, etc.
    You know, trade up.

If it has sentimental value and cannot be sold, treat it like the memory deserves.
    I never could afford a gun that I couldn’t use so, I cannot encourage you to shoot it or keep it in the condition it was received, never had to make that choice.
    If I could afford it I would carry a Korth Mongoose.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    This is a complex question. I also inherited an older Python, but, it was well used by me and my father-in-law before he gave it to me. He wanted it to be used.

But, if your father kept it in mint condition then he had a reason. If it was to be something to look at and be admired, then I would carry on his wishes. If he planned on using it and never had the chance then you have to answer the second part of the question. Is it worth it to you to keep it as a sentimental keepsake. What would your father advise you do do with it?

If I wanted a pistol just to shoot I'd find something different. When I shoot mine a lot as a combat piece it takes a beating. Every now and then (more often than I'd like) I have to take it to a GOOD gunsmith to have it tuned back up. As a pure target pistol it needs little upkeep in that regard.
    A good post...maybe because these are my feelings as well.

I45G makes a valid point. There are so few of those guns that turning it into a "shooter" seems a travesty...at least to me. I suppose if I shot well enough to take advantage of any accuracy advantage the Python has, I might think differently. But my 686+ is a far better gun and I am a shooter, and it is not expensive or rare. For putting holes in paper and ringing steel it does a fine job for a lot less $$$.

When I downsized I sold a Free Pistol my mom had given me almost 50 years ago. I had not shot it in decades, so it was one of those "useless" guns. It is the only gun I wish I had not sold. I would never have used it, as I can no longer shoot well enough, but I feel I disrespected my mom by getting rid of it. Not all guns are "just tools".
    Don Verna

No, that’s why I buy shooters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    ....When I downsized I sold a Free Pistol my mom had given me almost 50 years ago. I had not shot it in decades, so it was one of those "useless" guns. It is the only gun I wish I had not sold. I would never have used it, as I can no longer shoot well enough, but I feel I disrespected my mom by getting rid of it. Not all guns are "just tools".
    You can never tell when sentimental issues will kick in. Way too many variables. I know what guns my father-in-law valued the most (and why) and those are the ones we have kept. My dad's only pistol was handed down years ago. The rest of our guns are kept only if we use them on a regular basis. An example was a 1903 Colt my mother-in-law gave me as a gift. I know why she gave it to me so I had no problem selling it when I stopped shooting it.

Guns I have bought have come and gone depending on if I use them. I have a couple of pistols I am about to sell just because I don't use them anymore. Maybe buy something else, maybe not

Made the mistake of trading off a Colt Officer’s ACP that my wife bought for me. She was not impressed. Traded it for a custom .17 caliber Martini that was absolutely beautiful but I couldn’t get it to shoot. It got traded for a 625 Smith that is a tack driver and I’ll never sell. So it worked out. I’ve since bought a Detonics Combat Master that is a much better 1911 snubnose than the little colt officers acp ever was.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I would.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    You can never tell when sentimental issues will kick in. Way too many variables.
    Very true.
    I inherited my grandfather's top break S&W he carried when he drove freight wagons in the Texas Hill Country as a young man.
    This is also the guy who was too old to be drafted in WWI.
    I enjoyed it for 30 years or so and passed it on to one of my cousins who will appreciate it way more than my kids ever would.

Same thing with my other Grandfather's old Colt Police Positive he carried as a lawman for 30-40 years.
    And most of my Dad's guns have been passed on to my sister.

At this point in History:
    I'm left to stressing out about what to do with some of my own treasured guns
    to be sure they don't end up in a pawn shop after I'm gone.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I would shoot the heck out of it. Or maybe sell it and get a Freedom Arms.

Boolit Master
    I would not shoot it. I have an N frame 44 that is a one of 12 of a thousand with silver engraving on it and the cylinder has never even turned so there is no ring on the cylinder. I have an Anaconda and a Ruger SBH in 44 magnum too so I can shoot them or one of my other 90 or so guns. It is neat to have and show to others as it is really pretty. I just wish I had the other 10 that were originally in the group. I had the model 66 too and gave it to my friend when he turned 70 because I knew he lusted after it and since I was never going to have have the other 10, it didn't matter and it was shot a lot.

I wouldn’t shoot it but I would keep it and buy a new one that isn’t going gain any value for my shooter.

Boolit Buddy
    I had an 8 inch Python unfired in the original box. I sold it 3 years ago for 3K. Probably could have got more for it but it went to a good home. A young fellow about 30 years old that still has not shot it. I paid $450 for it back in the 90s. The gun was made in 1981. No regrets here.

Boolit Master
    go ahead and shoot and enjoy it..besides when you are gone, some lucky sucker is going to get a deal because your wife will sell it for what you told her you paid for it!

Boolit Buddy
    Hard call.
    I have a number of old S&W revolvers that have been fired for a half century or more. It makes carrying them in the field perfectly enjoyable. They are superbly accurate and the honest wear is a plus in that I don't have to baby them or worry about them while hiking and camping.

On the other hand I just bought a new to me 29-2 that had a total of three rounds fired from it after it left the factory. I know the seller quite well and he bought it new back in the day, fired three rounds in his driveway, And put it into the safe. Hardly had a turn ring on the cylinder. I thought about selling it... And then I thought again.

This will now be my gun all the way till the end. I intend to put as many rounds through it as I can while my eyesight holds out.

Moderator Emeritus

If you loaded your gun and handed it to me I would shoot it. If it were mine I would recognize that there may be no better time to sell than now, irregardless of what the original owners wishes were. They're dead, live your life.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

That's the thing. Way too many folks stressing themselves out over a material possession. It's a gun. Your relative will not come back and haunt you for shooting "their" gun. Heck, it's not their gun. They simply were a custodian for a period of time.

Some above are worried about their own guns and their fate after they're gone? Why? You're dead. Who cares. If you never shoot this pristine gun, somebody will at some point. Unless the gungrabbers get it first. And wouldn't that be the greater crime? A mint Python that the govt melts down....unfired because every owner it had was scared to reduce its value. An unfired gun is an item with unfulfilled purpose. It was designed to be shot. Shoot it. And enjoy it. The guns value is only relevant if you sell it. If you're gonna keep it because of family history, value doesn't matter.

You have your dad's gun and I bet he'd be smiling every time you pulled the trigger and remember him. Personally, I'd sell it only because I have low regard for the Python and other Colt DAs as well. They sure are shiny, but they've got soft internals, go out of time easily, and there are few smiths around qualified enough to properly service them.

Your gun, your choice. Guns are personal, they evoke emotion. They are fine tools and provide a pride of ownership. Don't lose sight that they are just things, things of this world that will all go away at some point. Let's not over romanticize them. YMMV

I let my dad's bring home luger go to my nephew when my mom passed with the condition he not selling and pass it to his son. I've only a daughter and most probably won't have kids. I would probably not shoot it if I were leaving to an heir.
    But if that were not the case,. I would for sure shoot it or sell it. That would be the choice. Now carry? no way. But if I kept it, it would be shot, at least some and occasionally. It was made to shoot, not just keep in a box.
    I can't imagine owning a gun I wouldn't shoot at least a few rounds through.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk