MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 7.62x38mmB in Ruger Blackhawk 30 carbine?

7.62x38mmB in Ruger Blackhawk 30 carbine?

The Nagant revolver ammo chambers easily into the Ruger 30. Bullet diameter same and case dimensions seem similar enough. This and the strength of the Ruger would indicate the Russian cartridge should work safely. The only drawbacks are corrosive ammo and no gas seal benefit. Before I pull the trigger (pun intended) am I missing anything?

Looks like the rim doesn’t sit flush enough. Tolerances too tight on Ruger chambers.
    Last edited by MarkK; 12-10-2022 at 03:35 PM.
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    And I thought the .30 carbine round was trouble enough in a revolver...but if you think you really need such a weapon, I would first study the issues encountered with bottleneck cases in the S&W .22 Jet. And I commend you for going in this direction rather than converting a Nagant revolver to .30 carbine.

If you follow through with this project, it would be informative to see a drawing of the action modifications necessary to move the Ruger cylinder forward for each shot to obtain the gas seal.

I'd be careful with that, make sure the cylinder's throat is big enough for a clean release of the bullet. Try sticking them in from the front to see. Other than that it should be fairly underwhelming and you'll be back to 30 carbine ammo shortly.

Good points. Understood. Sometimes it’s nice to have options; this isn’t one of them.

Funny, I had no intentions of modifying anything.

Boolit Master

There are some *rules* that have been passed down by those who know more than the rest of us. One of those rules is to never attempt to fire a cartridge in a firearm that wasn't designed for that cartridge. Its a good rule. Those people who frequently disregard traditional wisdom are the same people who end up in emergency rooms with bits of brass and steel embedded in their face, eyes or brain. I'd suggest you disregard any advice that suggests this is a good idea. The one thing that'll kill you is the one thing you didn't think of.

Dutch

Couldn’t agree with you more.