Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: I have found a "minty" Bauer .25 ACP (1931 Baby Browning Clone).

Boolit Buddy

Question I have found a "minty" Bauer .25 ACP (1931 Baby Browning Clone).

It is costing a cool $400.00 (+ transfer costs). I had the opportunity to disassemble/reassemble the piece and it looks as if it had only been test-fired at the old factory in Fraser, MI. This pistol was dubbed "The Noisy Cricket", and was manufactured from 1972-1984. There isn't any visible wear on any of the bearing surfaces and the rifling is untouched.

Input? Comments?
    "Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's Captain Obvious!
    "Living well is the best revenge" - George Herbert.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is final". - Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

This, along with the Buffalo Bore .25 ACP loads, won't do you much good if you are alone and running from a bear, but it would come in handy if your buddy was running from the bear with you.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    I have three .25 acp's that I load for (not as bad as I thought it might be). As far as factory ammo - in my guns, Winchester and PPU ammo (50 grs) ejects best. Hornaday ammo (35 grs) didn't eject well at all. Maybe the bullets are too light, or I limped wristed the gun due to the incredible recoil.

One of mine is a 1910 Mauser that's in great shape, much better than my 1914 Mauser .32, probably because the .32s were used more than the .25s.

Reloading: (works for me but research these loads)
    50 gr cast bullet
    Titegroup 1.1 grs *Bullseye 1.1 grs Unique 1.2 grs
    35 gr jacketed bullet (.251”)
    Titegroup 1.5-1.7 grs Bullseye 1.7 grs

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As I understand, the Bauers are usually very good guns but tolerances can be really wonky on some examples. Sometimes you can get good deals on them at pawn shops who think Bauers are in the same league as Raven, Jennings, etc. and price them accordingly.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    The Bauer will be mine. (I truly believe that the Buffalo Bore 50-grain FMJ will be the best "business" load for the "Noisy Cricket").
    "Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's Captain Obvious!

Boolit Grand Master
    The one I had was troublesome in that the trigger would fall out.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

One time long ago at a camp out, an inebriated friend produced a Baby Browning .25 and was waving it around a bit carelessly in my opinion.
    I asked “ Is that Pauline’s gun?”( His Mother)
    He said “Yep, it ain’t good for nothing but noise.”
    I asked to see it; he handed it over.
    I threw my empty beer can in a safe direction, found the safety, and nailed that can about four times by campfire light as I shot it empty.
    I was as surprised as everyone there.
    But ever since then, I’ve had a soft spot for .25 automatic pistols.
    I have a stash of ammunition for one if I happen upon a deal on one!
    John M. Browning’s fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've an uncle's .25 Colt. It is well worn, probably not shot a lot, just never ever cleaned and the old corrosive primers pitted the barrel pretty badly. It only likes round nose bullets, and I think it'll just reside in the safe. I'd never carry it. Too many way better and more reliable guns

Boolit Buddy
    I used to believe that old "The .25 ACP is useless" nonsense. Since I bought a Titan .25, I learned that the little .25 can deliver a nasty little blow. The newer Buffalo Bore 50-grain FMJ load can probably create a a terminal "eye, nose and throat" wound.

The higher velocity of the BB load will likely breach a sternum and/or rib bone, incapacitating the average miscreant. (Read: 'street waif'). These individuals aren't known for their robust constitutions, or healthy lifestyles.

I wouldn't give the Bauer .25 Auto "short shrift". (Such a dismissal may cost you dearly).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain O View Post
    I used to believe that old "The .25 ACP is useless" nonsense. Since I bought a Titan .25, I learned that the little .25 can deliver a nasty little blow. The newer Buffalo Bore 50-grain FMJ load can probably create a a terminal "eye, nose and throat" wound.

The higher velocity of the BB load will likely breach a sternum and/or rib bone, incapacitating the average miscreant. (Read: 'street waif'). These individuals aren't known for their robust constitutions, or healthy lifestyles.

I wouldn't give the Bauer .25 Auto "short shrift". (Such a dismissal may cost you dearly).
    This 100%. Around here, the odds of encountering a criminal in good health and above average strength are really low. However, I have noticed many of them open carry hunting knives, which is legal even if you're on the no guns list. Even a 90 pound meth head or fentanyl zombie can slash or stab with a knife, hence the need for a standoff weapon.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    This 100%. Around here, the odds of encountering a criminal in good health and above average strength are really low. However, I have noticed many of them open carry hunting knives, which is legal even if you're on the no guns list. Even a 90 pound meth head or fentanyl zombie can slash or stab with a knife, hence the need for a standoff weapon.
    Yes SIR! This is why you want to riddle the bad guy's face with at least six or seven hot FMJ .25 ACP loads. Odds are that they'll succumb to these in short order.

Boolit Buddy
    I would rather hear a "bang" when the .25 lights up, than a "click" when the .22 Long Rifle happens to experience a dud cartridge. In a personal defense situation, the centerfire cartridge wins every time.

I agree with you, however my LCP II with Aguila Interceptors has proven itself to be centerfire reliable for several years now. As far as micro pistols for CCW go, my Kel-Tec P32 is a much better choice and that's what I carry out in public. I know alot of folks say the LCP is the be all/end all for this sort of gun, however I have now owned two of them and simply cannot shoot them worth poo even by mousegun standards. I know they work for many folks and that's great. They just don't work for me and I'm not going to carry something I don't have cinfidence in. Was talking to an ER nurse of many decades experience the other day. He said the .22 LR produces very nasty wounds on people and most of the folks who come in with them were in fact incapacitated to the point where they couldn't fight anymore. I would not feel unprotected with my LCP and Interceptors if it was all I had, or could not carry anything bigger. With extremely good close range accuracy and rapid follow up shots it is not a bad choice by any means.

Banned

my old beretta .25 would punch through 3/8s plywood loaded with gold dots so i doubt a couple layers of clothes or human skin would cause it to bounce off

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    This, along with the Buffalo Bore .25 ACP loads, won't do you much good if you are alone and running from a bear, but it would come in handy if your buddy was running from the bear with you.
    I doubt that I would be carrying the little pistol in the deep woods. The "urban jungle" is my main concern. The Bauer can virtually disappear on my person and can be called upon to be emptied in a miscreant's face in a hot second!

Between 6 and 7 rounds of .25 ACP can provide one hell of a headache in less time than it takes to tell.

Boolit Master

I doubt that I would be carrying the little pistol in the deep woods. The "urban jungle" is my main concern. The Bauer can virtually disappear on my person and can be called upon to be emptied in a miscreant's face in a hot second!

Between 6 and 7 rounds of .25 ACP can provide one hell of a headache in less time than it takes to tell.
    Sigh. I guess I need to explain the joke:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bear attack.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	317105
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Or maybe, you might be running away from this guy:

Name:	bearsuit.jpeg 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	317106

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Sigh. I guess I need to explain the joke:

Name:	bear attack.jpg 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	317105
    I have known the joke for decades. I am sorry, but I never find an armed confrontation as humorous. (I am a semi-professional comic and public speaker). When it comes to drawing a small piece, I stand in earnest. Life and limb are not a joking matter. This is why any ballistic augmentation of JMB's "Baby Browning" seems an excellent proposition.

I am fond of living a healthy life, having come close to being killed as an Armed Security Officer from 2002-2005. I view any existential threat quite seriously.
    Last edited by Captain O; 08-19-2023 at 03:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBFgKBX6El0

This is a good review of the Fraser/Bauer .25 ACP pistol.