Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Carbine

Banned
    Magpul 5 rounders work fine.A buddy used one in his scout today.

Anyone know what size Allen wrench is used for the Butplate screws? For the life of me I can't find the one that came with the rifle!

Boolit Mold
    Hey Guys,

was just checking in and wanted to see if anyone had re-stocked their GSR, according to a few sites McMillan offers the: MK II Classic, MK II Hunter, MK II Varmint, HTG, A-TH, A3, A3-5, and A5 for the ruger GSR action. i emailed them earlier this week about it before i saw these threads and they said only 3 were available but im going back to them as i have seen multiple A3s on the GSR. i was contemplating re-barreling the GSR for 6.5cm and throwing it in an A5 for PRS competition out here in CO seeing as GoodSteel has had some AWESOME results re-barreling these. I just wish you could set them up with a savage style barrel nut for easy swapping like the rem/age conversions! Also has anyone tapped the receiver for a scope base.

here is one GSR in an A3:

Boolit Mold
    also anyone know what happened to goodsteel?

Quote Originally Posted by DHwreckage View Post
    also anyone know what happened to goodsteel?
    Banned - about the same time as Larry Gibson
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

You can catch Tim at
    http://goodsteelforum.com/
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Vendor Sponsor

OK,,, now why were they banned?

So two of the biggest contributors to this forum were banned? For what good reason?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Shhh, it's don't ask don't tell time per mod's
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Randy, why not visit Goodsteelforum.com and ask why they were banned? It is curious why two of the most knowledgeable long term posters were banned.

Boolit Master

Uh Oh scout fans. Don't look now but,....................you can buy a Ruger Gunsite Scout synthetic stock to lighten up your favorite rifle for $150 at shopruger.com.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Gunsite-S...uctinfo/90574/

Ordered mine last night. Rumor is it's a pound lighter.

Last edited by 762 shooter; 04-27-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Update.

Synthetic stock is 3/4 pound lighter.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere in the 38 pages, but is there a ready solution to the weak magazine springs in the Ruger 10 rounders? GF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere in the 38 pages, but is there a ready solution to the weak magazine springs in the Ruger 10 rounders? GF

Get in touch with Ruger. They will replace the magazine. Gen 2 mags dont seem to have the same spring. At least I haven't had any trouble.

Vendor Sponsor

PB234: I did and Tim told me the whole story. I don't understand Politics on an Internet Forum,,, Seems counterproductive to me?

I don't see how Castboolits is better off without Tim and Larry? Maybe someone could enlighten me?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Mold
    Hello Gentlemen ,

I have enjoyed reading most of this excellent thread and am seriously considering getting a RGS .
    However I have one question I hope you guys can help answer.
    In terms of recoil and of muzzle blast what is the difference between the RGS with the 16.5 inch barrel with the flash hider/muzzle break
    and the 18inch barrel with no flash hider/muzzle break?

Appreciate any answer on this issue.
    zonn44

Vendor Sponsor

It is only a Flash Hider not a Muzzle Brake and the difference in Recoil and Muzzle Blast will be the same or so close you wouldn't be able to tell the difference .

Originally the 18" barreled guns were for sale in Canada as that's the minimum barrel length allowed there.

I have a Smith Enterprises Muzzle Brake on mine and it produces noticeably less recoil at the expense of running everybody next to you off the range. However these guns don't recoil enough to worry about it any way. You would be able to shoot 50 rounds in one sitting easily off a rest. The guns are Cream Puffs to shoot.

The only thing I would say is that if you are going to take it to Canada to Hunt get the 18" barreled one. Otherwise don't worry about it.

These guns are all excellent shooters and mine just keeps getting better.

Randy

Boolit Mold
    Randy I appreciate your reply.
    I'm in Australia and we can get both types here now.
    I think i'll go with the 18 inch , it'll mostly be usedon pigs.

Thanks again
    zonn44

Boolit Mold
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading all 38 pages here. Great stuff. I recently bought a GSR and I love it so far. It shoots inside an inch with Hornady 168 ELD match and the recoil is surprisingly manageable. My question is…how’s your butt holding up? I have an older bolt rifle that’s recoil pad has compressed permanently after sitting on its butt for many years, and I wonder if any of you who’ve had your GSR for a while now have noticed any degradation in the rubber pad?
    Last edited by Phineas; 02-13-2024 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Here’s my day one range report…
    I purchased a stainless Ruger Scout with the 16” barrel and polymer stock recently and had a chance to take it to the range today.

I took the brake off before I took it out and replaced it with a 308 A2 flash hider because I’m not a big fan of brakes. It indexed so that the closed portion of the flash hider was at the bottom without the crush washer, so I used it without the crush washer. Makes it easier to swap out for a suppressor also.

The A2 flash hider came loose half way through sighting in because I hadn’t tightened it with a wrench, which cause the POI to shift left about 6” during sight in. I tightened it properly and it didn’t cause any more trouble.

I got the irons sighted in at 100 yards in about a half a box of ammo with Armscor 147grain ammo. This is cheap blasting ammo. It shot about 2 1/2 “ with this ammo. Recoil was noticeable, but not horrible. I got rapped on the knuckle by the bolt handle once or twice, but I learned. I was at an indoor range and the blast wasn’t bad. Way better than a 10” ar.

After I sighted it in I traded the A2 flash hider for a griffin GP7 suppressor, which decreased the recoil and blast significantly. It felt like shooting my 7.62x39 bolt gun. Very pleasant. There was no POI shift with the addition of the can.

I then put a Holosun dot on the rail and sighted that in with the can on. Took the can off and put the A2 back on…again no POI shift. I fired three rounds of 168 grain Hornady ELD… three rounds printed at an inch and a half at 100 yards with the dot sight, which will do.

All in all, a fun gun so far. Can’t wait to get it on the steel range

Boolit Mold
    Ok, I guess nobody wants to discuss the butt issue. Understood. Since day one I’ve added a leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x intermediate eye relief scope and a sling. It’s 7 pounds, 7 ounces with the scope and sling.

Took it to the range again. Hornady 168 ELDs shot right at an inch at 100 yards. With the more accurate ammo I can now see it shoots about 2” higher without the suppressor at a hundred yards. Still working on getting to a range with some steel. It’s a fun rifle to shoot. I’ve has a few failures to fire with Armscor ammo. It always goes bang on the second strike, but when I’m working the bolt quickly I get some ftfs. It may be that the bolt handle isn’t ALL the way down when I pull the trigger? Still learning