Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: How hard?

Boolit Buddy

How hard?

In a rifle load running a gas checked bullet how hard of lead do you need if you run “any powder upto a velocity of 2000 fps? I have been looking at a cheap source of lead from a company the BHN in 10, vs buying Lyman #2, I have been running wheel weights how ever I have just about exhausted my supply of this, this stuff costs about $.50 per lb vs $4.00 a pound for Lyman #2 from roto

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    If it will heat treat a little up to 12-14 and you're running;
    1-12/10 in 30 cal
    1-10 in 32/8mm
    1-14or less in 338 ,35 ,&40
    1-20 in 45 it will work but all of these are right at the fringe at 2000-2200 fps .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I run 14-16 gas checked in my 30-06 running around 1850-1900 FPM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    For 2000 fps, 18 Bn is right in the ball park.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    If it will heat treat a little up to 12-14 and you're running;
    1-12/10 in 30 cal
    1-10 in 32/8mm
    1-14or less in 338 ,35 ,&40
    1-20 in 45 it will work but all of these are right at the fringe at 2000-2200 fps .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

To give a real precise answer, it'd be nice to know the caliber/gun, the type of power/load, and what the alloy of the 10 BHN is?
    But in all honestly, that 10 alloy should be fine up to 2000.
    ...there will likely be someone chiming in, that pure Lead, if powder coated, will do the same.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    To give a real precise answer, it'd be nice to know the caliber/gun, the type of power/load, and what the alloy of the 10 BHN is?
    But in all honestly, that 10 alloy should be fine up to 2000.
    ...there will likely be someone chiming in, that pure Lead, if powder coated, will do the same.
    It will be either 308 win or 303 British witch are kissing twins as far as case capacity gose, I plan to mostly shoot between a 155-215gr bullet, none of the bullets will be intentionally driven past 2000 fps most will probably be around 1400-1800 fps as I do have some Lyman #2 left and also have super hard to harden it a little,

I am going to guess given its bullet cores something like a tin/lead alloy as the maker makes JHP pistol bullets might be a 1:20 alloy, I honestly hope it is as I could use that to make something harder if I wanted

Boolit Master
    I have the same price issues you have but my main source is still Roto. I buy Antimonial lead from them-- which is usually lower cost, then blend with one of the other lower cost lead/tin alloys. The Antimonial lead adds enough antimony to the blend to bump up the harness to something like Lyman #2
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I've shot BHN 12 gas checked 180 gr with a Model 94 .30-30, no leading at ~2100 fps. BHN 10 up to around 1750 fps, no leading. I'm cautious about fit more than alloy. Referenced BHN 10 loads shoot 3/4-1 MOA for 5 shots on a calm day. The .30-30 runs about 1.5 MOA with an aperture sight.

Paper patched pure lead @ 1600 fps from a 77/44 would put 8 shots in a wee bit more than 1" at 100 yards.

I don't get excited about "hard" alloys.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve shot water quenched gas checked wheel weights over 2000 fps with 125’s in a .357 magnum carbine and 150’s in a couple 30-30 lever guns. No leading but they were not particularly accurate for me in either caliber. Never tested them for bhn but the outside of the bullets get pretty hard. Smashed with a hammer the outer 1/8” cracks and breaks rather than deforms.
    After the smash test I abandoned the water quenched wheel weights and started alloying my own Lyman No2. I still cast and shoot the same gas checked bullets with Lyman No2. I have worked up loads that are accurate and tough enough for my needs for deer hunting. Rather than paying $4/pound, I scrounge for wheel weights and pewter and am able to keep my costs low.
    Good luck, whichever way you go sourcing casting materials for your rifle bullets.
    Willie