MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage Gravy

Boolit Master

Sausage Gravy

I live in Indiana, fixed Sausage Gravy using Bob Evens Sausage as they sale a lot around here. Several persons said it wasn't as good as using X brand sausage. So what sausage do you mistros of sausage gravy use???? Brown or white gravy made with sausage, just what brand are you using?

Boolit Grand Master
    I use whatever brand I happen to have on hand. I tend to like the milder less spicy versions. So basically if I can make a patty of it for sausage and eggs, I can also use it for biscuits and gravy.

The basic white gravy made with sausage grease, although sometimes I'll add a slice or two of small diced onion to the sausage when frying it. It adds a bit of flavor to the gravy.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    You can use any brand. Just taste the gravy when it is done and add whatever spice you like. I usually add more sage and lots of black pepper.

And I always add one bay leaf to every type of gravy I make. Sausage, beef, pork, chicken or turkey.

Boolit Master

My wife likes hambuger gravy. I am not fussy as long as there is meat! GW

Boolit Grand Master

The best sausage gravy is with sausage from the butchers shop. Once a year we would have a pig ground into whole hog sausage this had a little more fat than today's prepackaged. ( you didnt have to add grease to fry a pattie). I fry the sausage with a little salt pepper and onion add milk and a little sage bring to low boil and add flour. For a different twist add some diced bacon to the meat.

I use a locally made breakfast sausage and make milk gravy. Don’t forget the biscuits!
    Last edited by Cast10; 05-15-2024 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I fry the sausage with a little salt pepper and onion add milk and a little sage bring to low boil and add flour.
    Next time try taking out the meat and adding the flour to the oil while stirring to make a roux. Then add milk, stir, and add the meat back. This will stop the flour from clumping and making lumps and gets rid of the raw flour taste. I usually heat till the roux is a light brown and this adds a little more taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Next time try taking out the meat and adding the flour to the oil while stirring to make a roux. Then add milk, stir, and add the meat back. This will stop the flour from clumping and making lumps and gets rid of the raw flour taste. I usually heat till the roux is a light brown and this adds a little more taste.
    This is how I was taught to make it. I don’t always make it that way, though. To me, the key is getting the seasoning just right. I also sometimes make hamburger patties with the roux recipe. It makes a good dinner.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    My wife likes hambuger gravy. I am not fussy as long as there is meat! GW
    I CAN NOT eat hamburger gravy... bad memories of my Grandmother on mom's side cooking... she would make 2 gallons of gravy from 1/2 pound of meat... can you say tasteless and bland with a hint of hamburger... just typing this is making ma gag LOL

Jimmy Dean Sage sausage(my preference)......and use beef stock to thin the roux, not milk, water, etc. The beef stock tip straight from a relative that worked at Bob Evans for many, many years back in the day....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Ground pork
    Sage
    Black pepper
    Red pepper
    Sea salt

That was my sausage recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I live in Indiana, fixed Sausage Gravy using Bob Evens Sausage as they sale a lot around here. Several persons said it wasn't as good as using X brand sausage. So what sausage do you mistros of sausage gravy use???? Brown or white gravy made with sausage, just what brand are you using?

This is an awesome place. I got a Chicken Fried Steak with green beans and mashed potatoes with sausage cream gravy.

I make mine with Owens Sage Sausage, milk, flour, and black pepper.
    https://www.goodgravydiner.com/

Boolit Bub
    Jones breakfast sausage… only ever jones!

After almost never getting gravy to come out right,
    I switched over to Pioneer's peppered gravy mix from the grocery store.
    It comes out right every time and is so simple a cave man can make it.

As far as sausage, when I was still deer hunting, I used to make a bunch that was 1/2 deer and 1/2 pork.
    I don't hunt anymore, but still make a run of pork sausage once or twice a year.
    Mrs. Winger won't let grocery store sausage into the house.

I tried to sneak some in one time a few years ago.
    Looking at it all gray in the frying pan, it was a hard 'no', along with a 'don't do that again'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Owens sausage (hot) or the Bob Evans (also hot). Have neither around here anymore so just a brand from Wally world (old folks something) also hot. Not near as good as the first two, but best of anything around. Grandma and Grandpa taught me how to make the gravy. I do add extra hot pepper (powdered Ghost pepper)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    After almost never getting gravy to come out right,
    I switched over to Pioneer's peppered gravy mix from the grocery store.
    Oh the horror...... While the instant gravies are more popular now I was lucky enough to grow up down south where you watched your grandmother make gravy as a kid. But it does seem to be a lost are for most of the US. Gravy is very simple if you do a few basics. First of all never add dry flour to anything once the liquid is added and its a sauce. You will get nothing but clumps.

You can make any kind of gravy by first cooking any kind of meat (roasted or fried). Then you separate whatever aqueous pan dripping on the side for later and take just the oil and make a roux. A roux is ~1:1 fat to flour, so heat the oil to medium then add in the flour and stir. You will see the flour sizzle some but keep stirring and it will make a thin paste. You can use it then or toast it a little to a tan color for a better toasty flavor. Then pour in at least a cup of water and pan drippings and stir rapidly. It should thicken quickly then keep adding water till it is thin enough. Spice it anyway you like and boil a few minutes and you have gravy. You will need to figure out how much oil and flour to use vs the amount of liquid but for a pint to quart of liquid start with 2 tablespoons of each. For a turkey dinner maybe 1/4 cup each. And if it is too thick just add more water.

This is a good skill to have....I once saved Thanksgiving when I went to my friends house and they cooked a turkey, took it out, and left the pan with the fat and sticky brown bits next to the sink to be thrown away and washed. I asked them about the gravy and they had no clue but with a 1/4 cup of flour and some water I made 2 quarts of gravy. They were amazed.

Unfortunately they did not have a bay leaf but all was still good..
    Last edited by Delkal; 05-16-2024 at 11:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C673241B-F1BB-474C-8AF4-9B195DCBCD66.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	326646

This brand.

Oh the horror...... I was lucky enough to grow up down south where you watched your grandmother make gravy as a kid. ..
    Oh yeah. Me too.
    We all watched my Grandmother in Mississippi as she'd make (among other things)
    gravy, biscuits, cornbread, and black berry cobbler.
    None of us could duplicate them. Not me, my cousins, or my two aunts who had watched her their whole life.

And no pre-mixes were allowed in her kitchen.
    No cake mix, cornbread mix, self rising flour, pan cake mix, none of that.
    She even made her own buttermilk.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Oh the horror...... While the instant gravies are more popular now I was lucky enough to grow up down south where you watched your grandmother make gravy as a kid. But it does seem to be a lost are for most of the US. Gravy is very simple if you do a few basics. First of all never add dry flour to anything once the liquid is added and its a sauce. You will get nothing but clumps.

You can make any kind of gravy by first cooking any kind of meat (roasted or fried). Then you separate whatever aqueous pan dripping on the side for later and take just the oil and make a roux. A roux is ~1:1 fat to flour, so heat the oil to medium then add in the flour and stir. You will see the flour sizzle some but keep stirring and it will make a thin paste. You can use it then or toast it a little to a tan color for a better toasty flavor. Then pour in at least a cup of water and pan drippings and stir rapidly. It should thicken quickly then keep adding water till it is thin enough. Spice it anyway you like and boil a few minutes and you have gravy. You will need to figure out how much oil and flour to use vs the amount of liquid but for a pint to quart of liquid start with 2 tablespoons of each. For a turkey dinner maybe 1/4 cup each. And if it is too thick just add more water.

This is a good skill to have....I once saved Thanksgiving when I went to my friends house and they cooked a turkey, took it out, and left the pan with the fat and sticky brown bits next to the sink to be thrown away and washed. I asked them about the gravy and they had no clue but with a 1/4 cup of flour and some water I made 2 quarts of gravy. They were amazed.

Unfortunately they did not have a bay leaf but all was still good..
    Thank you for posting this! Will print and sent to "kid's"...
    geo

Boolit Master

Thanks for sharing y’all’s personal touch on a breakfast classic.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...