WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stump the mechanic

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Just saw this.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2012-2...0rod%20failure.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Based on this I wouldn’t replace the Cat without also addressing the control board…and your muffler shop likely won’t do that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Based on this I wouldn’t replace the Cat without also addressing the control board…and your muffler shop likely won’t do that.
    One of my employees has a 2017. She has replaced the board twice in the past 4 years. I don't think you are wrong.

Boolit Master
    Drive shaft needs to be balanced
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There was a problem with some Ford trucks called 'the death wobble'.
    It had something to do with the front suspension.

I heard it was fixable, but some sort of design problem.
    that was common back when i worked at Ford dealer - occurred on units with the twin I beam suspension - cure was bushing replacement in support arms -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Moderator Emeritus

I had a similar problem with my 2017 Chevy Colorado. Would get the rumble strip type sound. Dealership wanted $300+ to flush tranny and replace it with the new recommended fluid. My mechanic said a buddy of his does transmissions and recommended I try his additive first. Worked great and he put the truck on the lift and only charged me for the additive.

Two things. Recalls are time limited, but according to this, it is 10 years. And emissions related are I think 7. Link
    https://www.google.com/search?q=reca...obile&ie=UTF-8
    But if you can. Plug in her VIN and see if it was already done, if so she is totally out of luck.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Ifso, and she doesn't have annual emissions test, I'd remove and put straight tube on. But damage may already be done....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Drive shaft needs to be balanced
    Thats my vote also
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    2020 Ford F150. 32,000 miles. I picked it up a few days ago. Great condition, but...
    On the highway, hit the gas to accelerate, and there's a shimmy underneath. Take my foot off the gas, the shimmy goes away.
    The dealer had it for the day and they checked everything. Everything. They finally figured it out.
    Any guesses?
    10R80 transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    OK, next (and last) question:
    2016 Kia. Check Engine light is on. Car runs like crap. There's a recall on the catalytic converter. The owner went to a garage, the mechanic scanned it and said, it's the catalytic converter. Went to the Kia dealer and they said that the codes were erased, and without a code, they can't replace the recalled converter.
    Can't codes be recovered?

One Kia dealer wants $3500, another wants $5000.
    One dealer suggested straight piping it (FLA). Legal?
    I'm not 100% positive. Believe it is illegal to erase codes without repairing vehicle.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    It is not illegal to erase codes. It IS smart to write them down for future reference to see if the same codes come back. Most dealers nowadays do not have mechanics, they have parts replacers. If their scanner tells them the O2 sensor is bad they simply replace it. A MECHANIC will actually look at the data stream and do a proper diagnosis. BEFORE replacing parts. Yes, I am a retired certified master Mechanic, Not technician, a MECHANIC. Both truck and car. I retired from automotive work in 98 but I can still diagnose a car by looking at the data stream that you can see with any modest Can-Buss scanner.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    I'm not 100% positive. Believe it is illegal to erase codes without repairing vehicle.
    It is not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    It is not illegal to erase codes. It IS smart to write them down for future reference to see if the same codes come back. Most dealers nowadays do not have mechanics, they have parts replacers. If their scanner tells them the O2 sensor is bad they simply replace it. A MECHANIC will actually look at the data stream and do a proper diagnosis. BEFORE replacing parts. Yes, I am a retired certified master Mechanic, Not technician, a MECHANIC. Both truck and car. I retired from automotive work in 98 but I can still diagnose a car by looking at the data stream that you can see with any modest Can-Buss scanner.
    Thank you for this!
    I had an experience with my Chevy 3500 last year that made me pull my hair out! They diagnosed rough running as gasoline in the diesel fuel. Well, 2 weeks into it I called and they said they were just having their MECHANIC look at it that day - apparently it was 2 weeks of computer diagnostics and tech part replacement to find out that there was a problem with the fuel pressure regulator. It was going to be $8000 out of pocket, turned out to be a $0 fix because it was a factory fault.

Boolit Master
    is kia under warranty? if so. you might try stuffing a potato in exhaust pipe. that should put some codes in the computer

Boolit Master
    Update: the torque converter in my Ford F150 has been replaced and it runs perfectly (under warranty). This is my first Big Boy truck and I like it alot. Some people have a mid-life crisis - this is my end of life, or late life, crisis. Why did I wait so long? Do we have a secret "Harley wave" when we pass other F150s?
    It has the Pro Assist trailer backup system. I bought the kit (directions, stickers, etc) for $15 on ebay. Should be interesting.

The Kia was "straight piped" for cheap money. I guess it's louder than before, and the check engine light is on, but it runs good. Not what I would have done, but what the heck.

Very similar issue, replaced U joints, carrier bearing, balanced the driveshaft assy. Turned out to be a ply separation in a rear tire.

Boolit Buddy

SIL's Outback had the brake warning light and CEL on. Dealer diagnosed he needed a new ABS controller, new brakes and rotors all around, and a new transfer case. Thousands of $$.
    I looked at the codes which showed wheel slippage (inconsistent speed reading?) on the right front. Checked the right front hub figuring it was maybe the speed sensor, but saw grease all over. Replaced the axle due to a bad CV joint and the lights went out on the test drive. So much for dealer diagnosis.