RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What powder to use for the M1 Garand.

Boolit Bub

What powder to use for the M1 Garand.

As the title says I am looking for a powder that is available to load some rounds for the M1. I do have some 4064 that I will use up but then trying to decide on some new powder that is readily available to load some more with. During normal times I would just stick with 4064 or one of the 4895's but they are not available at this time locally. I was wondering what folks have used and had good luck with. I will be loading with these 147gr bullets that I purchased 1000 of. https://www.cdvs.us/product/308-dia-...lets-500-pack/

I do have a pound of Vihtavuori N140. Some others that I have seen locally that seem to be in the correct burn rate are Vihtavuori N135, Hodgon H335 and Accurate 2460.

I removed my information it was for a different style bullet.
    Last edited by Jadkins87; 05-17-2024 at 10:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Garands were originally loaded with H4895 in WWII and are happiest with burn rates from BLC (2) to IMR-4064. H335 should work but a better option would be Accurate 2520. It is known as Camp Perry powder for M-14s but is good in Garands too. And $45 a pound and available is a lot better than $70 and unavailable.

Hodgdon has some service rifle loads for both 30-06 and for .308 as an option (look for it under cartridges). Surprisingly they do not list AA2520.

https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/?t=1

I had help my friend to load his and used IMR-4064 and it shot like the factory ammo he had .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I shoot AA2460 in my M1’s.

I know 4064 it is within burn rate, but I’ve heard some things about pressure. Even though 2520 was THE service rifle powder, I didn’t go that route either. Used to, powder companies published a lot more data on their powder characteristics, which gave the ‘studied’ reloader more info on choices and how to choose. FWIW, my pressure findings on 4064 wasn’t even with M1, it was with 150gr /06 loads in general. Perhaps pushing too fast/hard????? I just don’t remember, it’s been a day or two since then.

I’d visit the CMP website and check out load data there. Good luck.

147 - 155 grain FMJ or HPBT bullets

IMR 3031 - 48.0 grains
    IMR 4895 - 49.0 grains
    IMR 4064 - 50.0 grains
    W748 - 48.0 grains
    AA2460 - 49.0 grains
    AA2520 - 51.0 grains
    AA2495 - 50.5 grains
    H4895 - 49.0 grains
    BLC-2 - 49.0 grains
    H335 - 49.0 grains
    RL-12 - 48.0 grains

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...g-data.340481/

At one time I had a link to Master Po's Temple, but I think it's been taken down due to age, here's a copy of loads from another site where someone saved them. Consult a loading manual, (or several) before using data.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Have used IMR 4064, BLC2, and Varget with 147-150 gr jacketed in my M1. All worked well but did find the BLC2 needed mag primers. Suspect any of the loads in the post above will work just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    rgsumpter:

Find yourself a good burn rate chart, basically anything between H4895 and IMR 4064 will work, maybe even H335 to 4064. Slower than 4064 will work with an adjustable gas plug.

By the way, M1 Garand loads predate WW2, they were worked up with IMR 1185, which, after WW2 became IMR 4895. H4895 is a later Australian Defense Industries powder which has a burn rate similar to, but not exactly, IMR 4895.

http://allthehowards.com/pistol/powd...ate_Chart.html

Boolit Bub
    As I mentioned I was looking for someone with experience using a different powder, one that was currently available locally. I would love to use 4064 and will use what I have left but it is currently not available in my area.

I was under the impression that Varget was about as slow of a powder that you would want to use. If going as slow as BLC2 is an option, which is not available locally, I see that Winchester 748 is just a little faster and that is available locally at this time. And I do see loads for this. Has anyone used it with 150gr and what is your impression?

I also see that the N140 I do have is about the same speed as Varget and that is also one that is available. I see loads for it with 168gr but not with 150gr.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powder.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	326699

Boolit Master

In a pinch, you can get away with IMR 4350, but you won't get as good performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    In a pinch, you can get away with IMR 4350, but you won't get as good performance.
    I think you would end up with a bent op rod using 4350. W748 is a favorite of mine to use in the M1. Make sure you use a magnum type primer, like CCI #34's.

I've used H380 in the past, more as an experiment because I have ~15 pounds of it. Don't remember the load or where I got the load but it was a published load and seemed to work OK.

I think H380 is approaching the burn rate limit in the Garand.

Good luck.

Boolit Bub
    That looks like it might work, especially if I load some 168grs and it is available. While it is not in Gordons reloading burn rate table it looks like it is between leverEvolution and Varget.

Super Moderator

My favorite powder for the M1 Garand is IMR4064, it has been for many years. I use 46.5 grains with either the Sierra or Hornady 168 grain HPBT match bullets. This load has never let me down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    My favorite powder for the M1 Garand is IMR4064, it has been for many years. I use 46.5 grains with either the Sierra or Hornady 168 grain HPBT match bullets. This load has never let me down.
    IMR-4064 is difficult to locate and extremely pricey when you can find it. I recently saw some locally for $76 a pound.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    IMR-4064 is difficult to locate and extremely pricey when you can find it. I recently saw some locally for $76 a pound.
    I must be sitting on a gold mine then. I still have an unopened 8 pound jug, and half of another one left. I figure at my age, it’ll probably last me until I’m croaked.

Boolit Buddy
    With the constant unavailability for the last decade and current price IMR powders are officially now obsolete and I will never buy any of them again. They never metered that good anyway. I have many pounds of old IMR powders but when they are gone I will not be replacing them.

I have ball powders loads that are equal in accuracy and even higher in velocity for just about all of my rifles and I am sure I can develop a ball load for the other ones. So why bother. I started loading 308 and 30-06 in my Garands with AA2520 and it was one of my favorite powders. Eventually I bought 32 pounds of surplus pulled IMR 4895 when it was under $10 a pound and since that is what was originally used in the Garand started using that. But when its gone it will be back to 2520.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    That or one of the 4895's is what I was going to do until I went looking for powder. I am unable to find 4064 or 4895 locally so that is the reason for asking what others have used that they like.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    With the constant unavailability for the last decade and current price IMR powders are officially now obsolete and I will never buy any of them again. They never metered that good anyway. I have many pounds of old IMR powders but when they are gone I will not be replacing them.

I have ball powders loads that are equal in accuracy and even higher in velocity for just about all of my rifles and I am sure I can develop a ball load for the other ones. So why bother. I started loading 308 and 30-06 in my Garands with AA2520 and it was one of my favorite powders. Eventually I bought 32 pounds of surplus pulled IMR 4895 when it was under $10 a pound and since that is what was originally used in the Garand started using that. But when its gone it will be back to 2520.
    Just looked and don't see AA2520 locally but will add it to my list to keep an eye out for.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I've used H380 in the past, more as an experiment because I have ~15 pounds of it. Don't remember the load or where I got the load but it was a published load and seemed to work OK.

I think H380 is approaching the burn rate limit in the Garand.

Good luck.
    Sent an email to Hodgdon, asking about H380, they don't recommend it, it's too slow. Now to come up with a way to burn off 15-20 pounds of H380.

Good thing, part 2 of my question was about Accurate 2495, got ~8 lbs, there are Garand safe loads with 2495.

I know it doesn't answer the OP's original question but the 2495 load makes me happy.

Now if I only could remember where I got the H380 loads.