Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiation concerns

Boolit Bub

Radiation concerns

A friend dropped off a 4x8 foot sheet of lead the other day. I think it was part of an x-ray booth they were taking out of a medical facility of some sort. Should I be concerned about any sort of radiation hazard?

Boolit Master

Only if it glows in the dark...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master

Lead does NOT absorb radiation. It is just impervious to it. It is a simple shield. The lead should be fine. I have used a good bit of shielding lead in the past. No problem.

Dale53

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Lead does NOT absorb radiation. It is just impervious to it. It is a simple shield. The lead should be fine. I have used a good bit of shielding lead in the past. No problem.

Dale53
    I don't know Dale, I see what looks like tracers clear over here in WV when you shoot!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    X-rays are not nuclear radiation. They simply hit the lead and lose their energy before they can pass through, due to the density of the lead. That's why lead is used as a shield. The energy is dissipated as heat. The X-rays do not remain in the lead or contaminate it in any way, nor can they be re-radiated as X-rays because they've lost their energy. Just like light hitting a black wall. The light energy is absorbed, then re-radiated as heat.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master

44man;
    You're BAD!!

Dale53

Boolit Bub
    Awesome. Thanks, guys.

44 man
    I almost shot spaghetti out my nose when I read that! I dont care who you are, that waS FUNNY!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Radiation

Xrays are like gamma and beta radiations in one sense, you have to be there close when the rays strike anything. There is no residual on the lead sheet from these three types of radiations.

This assumes that the lead does not have other radioactive materials on the surface. This occurrs with lead shielding at nuclear power plants, but not with x ray machines in medical offices.

I work a lot at a nuclear power plant, in the high radiaton areas, so we get a lot of training on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    A friend dropped off a 4x8 foot sheet of lead the other day. I think it was part of an x-ray booth they were taking out of a medical facility of some sort. Should I be concerned about any sort of radiation hazard?

Boolit Grand Master
    As for the quality of shielding lead, I can tell you it is of the finest quality. I have installed it in the walls of radiology labs and it comes marked something like "99.99" on the paper wrapping. Get all you can and be stingy with it.

In Remembrance
    If you're worried about it, check it with a geiger counter.
    But, I hope the one you use is better than the one I was able to borrow.

I would turn it on and it would count, 'one geiger, two geigers, three geigers...ptui!'
    Then it would start over...

How many geigers does it take to hurt a guy?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Bub
    I cast about 8 dozen 1 oz slugs last night, and you can tell a world of difference between this lead and wheel weights. Or maybe my technique is just getting better. Either way, I've got a nice array of shiny, perfect slugs that just fell out of the mold.

Boolit Master

How many geigers does it take to hurt a guy?
    That's like asking how many grits you get in an order of them.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I cast about 8 dozen 1 oz slugs last night, and you can tell a world of difference between this lead and wheel weights. Or maybe my technique is just getting better. Either way, I've got a nice array of shiny, perfect slugs that just fell out of the mold.
    Pure lead pours really nice shiny boolits.

Banned
    Isn't it that radiative material doesn't glow..only the gases of radiative material glows. Something the hollywood movies started showing radiative materials glowing. Take the tritium sights or numerals on watches, those little vials are filled with a gas.

Joe

Boolit Bub

be careful

Rando,
    if i were you i'd pack that lead up and send it to me so you don't have to worry at nights. LOL.

it'll be fine. but still, if you're worried................

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Isn't it that radiative material doesn't glow..only the gases of radiative material glows. Something the hollywood movies started showing radiative materials glowing. Take the tritium sights or numerals on watches, those little vials are filled with a gas.

Joe
    uh the tritium gas doesn't glow it is a phosphor dot that is excited by the radiation

real radioactive stuff does glow but if you see glow you probably have already been fataly dosed

Boolit Mold

Talking Lead and Radiation

My profession for the past five years has been the installation and maintenance of x-ray systems. We do the NDT for a whole range of customers who need to see what is inside of their products. Study of radiation and it's affects is mandatory in the baseness. Lead sheet is inside all of our cabinets and enclosures to keep the ionizing radiation inside. Lead will absorb the x-rays, gamma, beta and so on, and in so doing degrade it into safe levels of heat. Once the energy levels are that low it will harm no one. Won't re-radiate it, don't store it. Safe as lead can be.

Come to think of it, we have over a ton of scrap lead (99.99 pure) in the back of the shop. All I need is some tin to alloy it and start casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    44man;
    You're BAD!!

Dale53
    I know James is Bad he told me those were falling stars but I have never seen falling stars go up and then down lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub

Taking Bambi down with my own this fall. I'll leave a few pounds behind at the range this weekend.