Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will share some cast bullet loads for 32-20 WCF for a Marlin 1894CL?

Boolit Mold

Who will share some cast bullet loads for 32-20 WCF for a Marlin 1894CL?

I have a NIB Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 cal. coming from a Gander Mountain store
    in southern Ohio. I got tipped off by someone on the Marilin Owners Forum
    that the rifle had been in the store for a long time so I called Gander and the gun
    guy told me that it had been there for almost 2 years and no one seemed to
    want it. He is shipping the rifle up to the local Gander store here in northern Ohio,
    no charge to ship it! The price, $ 549.97 is right. I'm excited!

So I ordered some Lee dies and a Lee factory crimp die from Mid South and also
    some 100 gr. RNFP Magnus brand bullets, .313 in diameter.

Can anyone suggest some of their favorite loads using cast bullets of around
    100 grains in the 32-20? I have a boat load of other Marlins which I reload for
    but I have zero experience with a small caliber like this one. Fast or slow I will
    consider all.

Thanks, Doc T.

I've got some 311316 bullets cast up, but I'm still shooting up all my factory loads so I'll have some brass.
    You might try some 4198. Its worked best so far in my other two 1894CL's
    218 Bee 11 gr 4198 w/46 gr bullet
    25-20 10 gr 4198 w/ 65 gr bullet
    so maybe try 9 gr 4198 to start

lot of people like the pistol powders tho

Boolit Grand Master
    I've shot more of the 120 gr rnfp group buy bullet over 5 gr of unique in mine than anything.
    I've also shot the same bullet over 3 or so gr of trailboss- it's very quiet and slow but groups well.
    I will say I've never had a rifle that showed more vertical variation based upon velocity. I can shoot 2 loads that vary by 500 fps in mine and get 18 or so inched POI at 100 yards.

I just loaded up my own loads for my Browning m-53 using montana cast's (3118 and lbt's 115 grainer) with loads suggested by Brian Pierce and was very satisfied. I can look for the charges if you don't have Handloader (PM me or it's an article on the 32-20 and is a spring issue 2009) , but I was using unique and H110 (might try to sub AA#5 for unique as I usually do) I had two unique charges and one was about as loud as a short barrel .22lr rifle!! Straight as a laser with the heavier unique and H110 loads. Been trying to see how well it handles jackrabbits, but no volunteers so far. This rifle is becoming one of my favorites.

If I had some, I'd share em........

Boolit Master
    I use 311316-GC bullets with 10.0gr of 2400 in mine. The load is considerably heavier than most loading books and would probably bend or break a handgun in that caliber. No problems with the Marlin. It is accurate and doesn't lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    I do not have a Marlin but a Winny 73. I use the 5 grain Unique loading with a 122 grain boolit (50-50) that drops out of an old Ideal reloading tool/mold. This is the only mold I have that casts large enough for my old worn throated Winny. But I know it will do in Wabbits &
    head/neck shot ground hogs. Very quiet and the brass will probably last a LONG time. It is reasonably accurate to 35 yards but then the worn out muzzle lets the boolit wobble out to much to get any farther realiably.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I'm not sure what the grove size is for you Marlin but at one time I had a .32-20 contender barrel that was actually .308 and I used the Lee Soup Can with various slow pistol powders. Most of the powders worked ok but the Soup Can was outstanding.

Skeet1

Boolit Bub

caution

these are hot loads but shoot really well in my 1894CL

311316 sized in a 0.314" sizer. LBT blue. GC of course. 15 gr. of H110.

it is a fun little rifle.

Brian

Boolit Master
    I neck size only, and use the RCBS 98 gr. Swc sized .312", with the lube and crimp groove filled. Seat to the top of the driving band to function in my CL. Charge is 5.0 grs. of Unique. Small pistol primers. This load will print 5 into 1/2" at 50 yards more often than not. I much prefer the look of a RF design, but the flat out accuracy of the RCBS Swc keeps me coming back to it. I've never had much luck over 1,600 fps. with the PB design though. Enjoy the new toy.

Boolit Master
    Doc,

Slug, the barrel.......mine is .312"@breech end. I shoot .313 or .314 depending on mould. Saeco #322/Lyman 311316/311008. All do good w/ 5gr Unique/sm rifle primer.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all, for the responses. I picked up the rifle today at Gander Mt. and it looks real good.
    Wood to metal fit is pretty fair for a now-a-days Marlin and it has some decent figure too.
    I love the feel of this little rifle! I can see how it could easily become a favorite.

I actually have an old Lyman 311316 GC mold. I had already cast, sized, and lubed up some
    bullets that I was going to shoot out of my 30.30 Marlin as a groundhog load and never
    followed through with the project. I had forgotten about it completely so It was a nice
    surprise to be reminded about that bullet by you good folks!

I've got some 4198 and Unique powder on hand but I will have to get out and pick up
    a jug of H110. I've been wanting to try that in some other loads anyway.

Much obliged,
    Regards Doc T

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 311008 cast of WW +Tin and pure lead @ 50/50% lubed with Alox and sized to .314 over 7 gr. 2400.
    Super accurate very mild load. My Uberti 1873 24" rifle just loves it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Late to the party again! Congrats on your new-to-you Marlin 94CL in 32-20, that was a great price for a scarce variant.

My own Marlin in 32-20 is a newer (2004) variant, a 94CCL. Don't be surprised if the rifle takes a while to do its best work--I had to run 300 j-words and about 500 castings through the critter before it started acting right. #311316 @ .313" prompted by Alliant 2400 between 8.0 and 11.0 grains have all shot well from my rifle. IMR-4198 is clearly too slow for the application, but still shoots all right. Next in line will be AA-1680 in both 32-20 and 25-20, once my cataract surgery after-effects taper off.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    One of the blokes at the shooting range has a 92 Win in 32-20. It is the most fun little rifle. I will try and ask him what his loads are (they won't be too heavy cause he uses them in a Spagetti Colt SAA clone).
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Late to the party again! Congrats on your new-to-you Marlin 94CL in 32-20, that was a great price for a scarce variant.

My own Marlin in 32-20 is a newer (2004) variant, a 94CCL. Don't be surprised if the rifle takes a while to do its best work--I had to run 300 j-words and about 500 castings through the critter before it started acting right. #311316 @ .313" prompted by Alliant 2400 between 8.0 and 11.0 grains have all shot well from my rifle. IMR-4198 is clearly too slow for the application, but still shoots all right. Next in line will be AA-1680 in both 32-20 and 25-20, once my cataract surgery after-effects taper off.
    Maybe I gave up too early on the 25-20 I had. I only put 799 rounds through mine, and it just wouldn't shoot, as much as I wanted it to.

Boolit Mold
    Doc

The load I use the most is 5.0 gr Unique and Lyman 311008 with sm rifle primer for about 1300 fps. The old Lyman 47th edition shows this load but the new 49th edition has lowered the load to 4.5 gr. As usual, use caution and work up the load for your rifle.

Doc Thornton:
    I picked up the rifle today at Gander Mt. and it looks real good.
    Doc, care to post some pics of that bad boy?

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe so, NH. The CL in 25-20 took about 1500 rounds to get its kit in one bag with castings.

Check for PM. I'm straying off-topic (as usual).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

32-20 load

When I got my Contender 32-20 barrel I also picked up one of the Lee molds in the 113 gr flatnose with gas check. I experimented a lot with hot loads up to 1900 fps until I realized the barrel like semi-hot loads at about 1500 fps. I shoots great. That 10" barrel off of a rest with open sights gives me 2" groups at 100 yds. Any coyote that will sit still long enough for my old eyes to get a sight picture will die out to 175 yds. It is my favorite "walkaround/targets-of-opportunity caliber for critters up to 80 #.
    I am using 9.6 gr of 2400 powder.