MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It Just Me/

Boolit Master

Is It Just Me/

Is it just me, or have the discussions on a few threads, lately, been taken over by personal attacks? One was even closed, because of it. I joined Castboolits in part to obtain knowledge and to pass along to others what I’ve learned, on my relatively short casting journey. The other contributing factor was the polite and considerate treatment members showed toward each other, even while disagreeing.

I’ve defended myself and my views, when attacked by other members, but have never been the instigator of such nor called any member a derogatory name. It has always been my intention to conduct myself in a civil and gentlemanly manner.

If, in the course of my discussions, any member feels offended by something I said, I offer a sincere apology. If those members who have called other members and me names ever decide to put forth their apologies, I will gladly accept and forgive them. It’s understandable that, in the midst of a passionate discussion, we may say or write something in a manner or tone in which we didn’t intend. That doesn’t excuse us, though, for not being man enough to make amends, afterwards.

America’s gun owners and its gun industry have been, and continue to be, under relentless political pressure for untold years. We, as gun owners, dealers, and collectors need to remain united. For surely if we don’t, we become easy prey for those who want to see America become an unarmed society.

Castboolit members can agree to disagree, but let's leave the personal attacks and name-calling to the other forums.

Boolit Master

Some people get offended if you say "Hello" these days. God forbid you disagree with them!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    This is a yearly thing, nothing new. I suspect it is a combination of cabin fever, and spring fever. It does go away, but it is a pain until it does.
    I remember on Bonanza, they had to give Hoss, black strap molasses, and sulfur for a spring tonic. Everybody line up, and hold your nose!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I am wondering if the "tone" has changed around here in the past year or so. I'm not sure but it seems a bit less civil. It could be my imagination though.
    Semper Fi

In Remembrance

Of course we have grown tremendously in membership, and some of these behaviors are commonplace on other forums (that's why I don't frequent them). It will be up to us to educate the new, and some of us older, members that civility is the rule here. Let us educate primarily by example.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    This is a yearly thing, nothing new. I suspect it is a combination of cabin fever, and spring fever. It does go away, but it is a pain until it does.
    Lest we forget, it's also an election year--and a critical one at that. . .

Boolit Master

Let's not forget that close to 1 in 6 people have lost their job, are working less hours, or have had their salaries cut in some way! Financial stress and worrying about your job doesn't help a person't attitude and it can manefest itself in a bunch of different ways. We should be mindful of the excess tension in people's lives today and cut each other an extra measure of slack.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    Let's not forget that close to 1 in 6 people have lost their job, are working less hours, or have had their salaries cut in some way! Financial stress and worrying about your job doesn't help a person't attitude and it can manefest itself in a bunch of different ways. We should be mindful of the excess tension in people's lives today and cut each other an extra measure of slack.
    I am an old man and still having to go to work every day just to keep my house and car and my wife's medical bills paid. I am as close to total bankrup as i have ever been, but that doesn't excuse me from bieing civil and not rude. The problem with opinions is everyone has one and neather will buy you a cup of coffee. I apoligize if anyone takes this wrong I am not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me just saying everyone has problems so lets stand united and stop cutting each other apart.

Boolit Buddy
    Im here to listen to yall oldtimers...gain wisdom and share experience.

From a thread I started the other day, I do believe that some of us noobs can create issues in our ignorance...same story...different day type of stuff. I can understand someone getting tired of it.

Boolit Master

New to the forum, and was directed to a thread covering the question , If I had knowen I was going to the hog lot I would have woren my boots.
    In my opinion not the best introduction. I have found a lot of good info, Things I have worked around for years, but having an idea of what mistakes not to make would have been a God send when I was the only cast shooter I knew. Thanks for the input.

Boolit Buddy
    I find it hard to argue with people who like guns

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Let us educate primarily by example.
    Sir that is a rare quality these days and a great piece of advise.

I agree Delta!
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master

Let me say this. I do a lot more learning than advising here. I do have my opinions. If somebody disagrees, so be it. Hell, if I want to argue about something, I'll go back to work!! enjoy Mike

Banned

Sorry if it offends sometimes, but I refuse to tolerate any rudeness here, to me or others. I deal with it all day. At work, I represent my employer, and act accordingly. In public, I call people down the same way I do here, make them realize how I perceive them. Some want to fight, some get huffy and stump away. That's life, but I don't suffer people like that in my presence. If we all carried guns and could backhand each other through a phone line, things would be much different, as Robert A. Heinlein observed so famously. Mostly just dysfunctional punk keyboard commandos, but they deserve no place here and won't get any slack from me.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by 44mag1 View Post
    I find it hard to argue with people who like guns
    Even harder if they have it with them
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Super Moderator

............Whenever this topic comes up I ask folks to remember a few things when posting and replying:

1) We're all enjoying a hobby. This is NOT life and death.
    2) We're all after the same thing, and there are different ways to accomplish it.
    3) There is a wide spread in knowledge from the most experienced to the very new. The most experienced must understand what is simple for them is brand new for many others.
    4) Differences of opinion is common in a group. Being able to accept that fact is the sign of a mature adult.
    5) The ability to give the benefit of doubt to another is social maturity.

And finally the written word is sadly deficient in it's ability to convey feelings. Speech is rich in information conveyed outside the meaning of the words spoken. There is Intonation, cadence, inflection, and stress in speech which will heavily influence the meaning and value of what's said. This to the point where the meaning of what was said can be completely opposite of the meaning of the words spoken.

The other important means of information that's missing is visual. You cannot see body language. This is total body as well as the merest eye movement. Body language added to the information conveyed by speech OUTSIDE the meaning of the words spoken, make the written word a disaster in information transfer. Sarcasm used in speech can be hurtfull, or the exact same words can make it's target laugh. Such is the power of the spoken words' VERBAL delivery, and accompanying VISUAL component.

BOTH are missing in the simple printed word, so be mindfull of what you write and how it may be received.

In the end to me, written personal denigration and name calling is childishness of the highest degree, and can only bring a sense of accomplishment to an equally childish individual. If someone took offense to something I wrote, and responded by suggesting my mother wore combat boots, what would that mean to me? Should I or anyone immediately retaliate in kind? I don't know them, they don't know me and nothing they can type on a computer screen is going to have one iota's effect on me in ANY regard. Responding in kind merely puts me in the same catagory as them. Ignoring such things without responding keeps you out of the muck and mire and retires the situation immediately.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I have not been here long. I have seen 1 thread that was heated and I have dealt with 1 person who was just rude...other than that its all been good. I would like to take this time to thank everyone who has given me advise and helped me. I like it here and will always respect everyone.

Calvin

In Remebrance

I've been with this crew since '97. This happens every now and again. same with the foul language. It's up to the older members to bring the noobs up to speed on how things
    run here.

And, it'll pass.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by danski26 View Post
    I am wondering if the "tone" has changed around here in the past year or so. I'm not sure but it seems a bit less civil. It could be my imagination though.
    Yes, the tone here has changed, as well as the tone in much of the rest of discourse. Instead of reasoned expression of views and opinions with reference to facts, the nature of conversation has become attacks and reference to supposed facts that are lies. References to the president as a skid mark on underwear are an example, as are the accompanying lies masquerading as truth.
    Some of us have learned this from the Radio and TV folk, with Glenn Beck the glaring example. Not to say that the liberal end TV guys are any better. Beck tells lies frequently, quivers and shivers and cries, and maybe influences a lot of people. He's a wonderful actor supported by a large production and writing staff and makes a lot of money.
    If the ?news? media is driven only or predominently by the profit motive, and if ratings = profit, and if we watch or listen or read; then it is reasonable to assume that some of us will be influenced to copy the style(s) of those presenting.
    That's what I see happening.
    I've followed politics for 50 years, and never saw nor read about such a common ANGRY LOUD mode of discussion as we have today. People disliked, for example, FDR; but never was there such a concerted mad spit-flying large opposition to him.
    Maybe that's what discourse is going to be in the future, but I hope it's just a passing fad.
    joe b. Liberal and shooter