Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It Just Me/

If you want rudeness, then read your local newspaper on line instead of buying it at a news stand. You'll see comments there that are based upon incivility. I've got friends who are liberals--I'm not--but at least in face-up conversation we can still respect what the other guy is saying. Lots of internet comments seem to be evolving into incivility because posters are, in many cases, anonymous. This is particularly noticeable when they are posting about the news, as opposed to sites like this one. Joeb33050 singles out Glenn Beck, but the network sponsoring Rachel Maddow and Keith Olberman are, from my perspective, even more hateful. We need to keep politics separate from our hobbies, at least.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jlchucker View Post
    We need to keep politics separate from our hobbies, at least.
    Amen...

Just found out I cant post four letter words by themselves....Amen is a four letter word...LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlchucker View Post
    If you want rudeness, then read your local newspaper on line instead of buying it at a news stand. You'll see comments there that are based upon incivility. I've got friends who are liberals--I'm not--but at least in face-up conversation we can still respect what the other guy is saying. Lots of internet comments seem to be evolving into incivility because posters are, in many cases, anonymous. This is particularly noticeable when they are posting about the news, as opposed to sites like this one. Joeb33050 singles out Glenn Beck, but the network sponsoring Rachel Maddow and Keith Olberman are, from my perspective, even more hateful. We need to keep politics separate from our hobbies, at least.
    I certainly don't mean that Beck is the only one, nor that conservatives are more likely to act this way than liberals. They both do it, loud nasty yelling interrupting lying behavior seems to be the current recipe for success in the media.
    I hope it goes away.
    joe b.

Due to bump in life's highway, and being away from here for the better part of a year or so....... I too thought I noticed a deterioration of tone when I got back on. Nothing that really jumped out at me, but It was there......

The membership exploded during my absence, which I thought was great, but it also brings with it all the problems that any population increase brings. The more personalities involved, the more the chance for conflict and disagreement.

This is still the best place going to learn and discuss things we all enjoy. As was stated earlier, this ain't life and death, it's for fun and enjoyment.

Boolit Master
    Quote "joe b. Liberal and shooter" end quote!

The question is---for how long?---If you are as old as I am the answer is likely "till the day I die"---If you'r a young fellow---maybe not! The "anti's" are in this for the long term and if you dont believe me just take a good hard look at what we put up with in Canada (where we have had a "liberal" government---like forever) or what goes on in Great Britton, Australia etc. etc.

Another poster suggested we keep our hobby separate from our politics and I agree that would be the best solution BUT the question is HOW? The "anti's" ARE political and in my opinion if we bury our collective head in the sand---they WILL win!

I thought a long time before I decided to stick my oar in these waters but this is just too important an issue to ignore!!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Buckshot's analysis of the issue is top notch. There's a lot of "missing communication" in any electronic-only interchange. This is too good of a resource to let descend into crude nuttiness.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    Quote "joe b. Liberal and shooter" end quote!

The question is---for how long?---
    For the last 50 years or so, since I was 22.

If you are as old as I am the answer is likely "till the day I die"---If you'r a young fellow---maybe not! The "anti's" are in this for the long term and if you dont believe me just take a good hard look at what we put up with in Canada (where we have had a "liberal" government---like forever) or what goes on in Great Britton, Australia etc. etc.

Another poster suggested we keep our hobby separate from our politics and I agree that would be the best solution BUT the question is HOW? The "anti's" ARE political and in my opinion if we bury our collective head in the sand---they WILL win!

I thought a long time before I decided to stick my oar in these waters but this is just too important an issue to ignore!!
    Who would disagree with the FACT that there are a lot of people out there who would like to take some/many/all the guns away from the shooters? Not I. Should the shooters defend themselves against the anti-gunners? Of course.
    We have the second amendment on our side, with the Supremes making decisions that clarify what the second amendment means.
    I do not believe for a second that the President or the current administration or the Congress will try to or succeed in taking away our guns.
    I strenuously object to Wayne, making >$800 k a year, lying to the folk and attempting to and succeeding in scaring the population.
    In the first American Rifleman, June 1, 1923, there's the article "A Law For The Outlaw" by Allyn H. Tedmon, a fictional account of the future, 1925, when there is imposed a $100 tax on each pistol sold and a $1 tax on each cartridge sold.
    The NRA has been selling the same song and scaring the shooting public in the Rifleman since 1923.
    There are better ways to oppose the anti-gun folks, and talking about the President being a skid mark on underwear ain't the best way.I'm not allowed to call folk "goons" any more, but the temptation is strong.
    joe b. FACT lover, OPINION suspecter, LIAR identifier, Brilliant Liberal Democrat

Boolit Buddy
    conservative here, but it shouldn't matter what we are here, Personally I come here to get away from it all for a while, and listen to other people who enjoy our hobby, I've learned more about our hobby at these sites than I could ever have imagined by trial and error. It's like push the button and go to fantasy land for me......................steg

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar
    Joe,
    If you "don't believe for a second that the president or the congress would like to take away our guns" then you are ignoring political history that goes back ever since there were politicians. Governments follow an evolutionary pattern. They start by wanting to help man kind and metasticize into wanting to subjugate all man kind. They can't do that so long as the populace is armed. When a government thinks it can finally get away with disarming the people it will try. If the government in question misreads the situation, the people will revolt and a revolution will occur. At that point the form of government will change and it just depends on who wins the revolution as to what form of government rises from the ashes.
    I'm neither conservative nor liberal. For me, my government should deliver my mail, and protect my borders and otherwise just leave me alone to live my life as I see fit.

In Remebrance

"joe b. FACT lover, OPINION suspecter, LIAR identifier, Brilliant Liberal Democrat "

That explains a lot right there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    "joe b. FACT lover, OPINION suspecter, LIAR identifier, Brilliant Liberal Democrat "

That explains a lot right there.
    i tried to tell you guys......
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    i agree with theprofessor on buckshots's post...very good.

now some will note that i have been in some of these discussions.

i try to stick to the subject and not the poster...

keep it about the subject and not the person posting....

some cannot tell the difference....

if i miss , let me know

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    As previously posted by a moderator I think it is a combination of Spring fever and cabin fever. About once a year someone or a group get all excited and aren't as polite as they should be or as other member would like them to be.
    Draft a reply and read several times, if it is not polite delete it and wait several days before posting. Probably the best way to deal with a completely incorrect and extremely rude post is to totally ignore it. It is hard to do. Sometime I can do it sometimes I can't. MANNERS COUNT!

Boolit Master

It seems like a lot of my students were crabby and testy for the last couple weeks. Lots of reasons, they're on Spring Break now. Maybe we need a Spring Break to lighten things up a little bit here. Let's shut off the 24 hour TV news and find a gun to clean or something.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    It seems like a lot of my students were crabby and testy for the last couple weeks. Lots of reasons, they're on Spring Break now. Maybe we need a Spring Break to lighten things up a little bit here. Let's shut off the 24 hour TV news and find a gun to clean or something.
    Know what else?

It's not just here that the "tone" has shifted a bit.

I was at a retail store this morning, waiting in line to buy a few groceries and this woman just went up and down the poor cashier because her coupon had expired. She screeched on and on how "other stores" would take the coupon, so by-God so should this store. Then she moved into profanity.

I was something like third in line, with one other man (or I thought he was) and two women ahead of me. I purposefully waited to see what would happen. . .

And I waited. Longer I waited, the louder and more profane the woman got. A manager was called, who came over and listened to the whole thing.

This is it, I thought. The manager will tell this loudmouthed, profane broad to go pound sand.

But he didn't. HE FREAKING APOLOGIZED! He APOLOGIZED to this b-word of a woman because his cashier didn't take a coupon that expired in 2009.

Then he turned on the cashier, in front of the rest of us and demanded that SHE apologize not only to the loudmouth b-word, but to ALL OF US for us having to WAIT!

Seeing that the testicle-less man in front of me was going to do nothing, and the two other women just standing their like dumb, stupid sheep moving down the chute to slaughter, I was literally turning purple.

"BULL (you know what)!" is what I started MY response with. I went up and down the b-word lady AND the (also) testicle-less manager for being two of the absolute sorriest examples of humanity I'd seen in more years than I cared to remember.

I got the store manager's card--had to literally DEMAND it from him--and called his home office in Cincinnati. Kept going up the ladder until I got the VP of Operations. Explained what had happened, what time it was and that they could punch it up on their digital surveillance system and see it all.

I'll be waiting to hear back from Kroger. Their response will have everything to do with whether or not my wife and I continue to spend what we do there on a weekly basis.

Bottom line is this:

1. People have moved into a sheople mentality in which they only care about THEMSELVES and nobody else.

2. Bullies are growing in number because fewer and fewer are willing to stand up to them. It's easier to just suffer them, then move on.

3. The number of Good Samaritan strangers willing to stick their necks out for a complete stranger grows smaller every day.

Add it all up, and civility is a dying behavior.

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar
    It is this very reason that I have started to actually USE my concealed carry permit. There isn't much personal crime in my area. A few bar fights, that sort of thing. But with the way "everyone" seems to be on edge, I've decided that I don't want to be the guy at the resteraunt holding a spoon when some petty argument explodes and the guns come out.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    2. Bullies are growing in number because fewer and fewer are willing to stand up to them. It's easier to just suffer them, then move on.
    Member A can make a statement of his view on a subject, which may be seen as totally unacceptable by others.
    Management would prefer that the membership not stand against...and just move on...so that we can all just get along together.
    Having authored this thread, it's apparent that 462 agrees.

However, Member B may object to the posted view, and describe hs own...with reasoning to explain why his is more valid.
    So far, management will allow this level of reaction without comment.

It is at this point where the character of the thread will be developed.
    If Member A responds with a firm, but reasonable, explanation of the strengths of his argument, the thread will probably be informative...even educational...for those who read it.
    Even if no opinions get changed, it can be an enjoyable contest of reason and logic.

But, if recent history is to prevail, Member A, or (more likely) someone who strongly agrees with him, will claim Member B has 'attacked' Member A...and others will begin to pile on to support one side (or the other).

As the discussion(?) progresses, the erstwhile 'victim' (whoever that turns out to be) will probably resort to names and insults as his ability to debate a subject reveals itself to be weak or nonexistent. At that point, Member B must be careful to keep his reply 'civil'.
    But, if he uses civil language to shred the argument of Mr. Victim...he will probably have his remarks [edited] for being 'too argumentative'...and the names and insults will also disappear in the process.

If he had chosen not to respond, the names and insults would have remained.

So, civility is not the magic bullet for keeping a discussion visible. The trick is to leave the contest before you actually win it...because if you win, you did so by being 'rude'.

What is 'rude' in today's definition here?
    It is disagreeing too strongly, and saying so...even if done 'civilly'.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 03-09-2010 at 08:33 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    montana charlie,
    I hope you don't think I'm advocating the Rodney King "Can't we all get along." approach.

Boolit Mold
    I come to this forum for the vast knowlege about fire arms in general casting in is the best explanations I have found . Knowlege is the most important part of this forum and it has diferent sides to each issue sum like a long barreel sum don't and each has a good reson , I like to shoot . I dislike bad language and untruth it is not need ever Please act like Christ is the one you are talking to am that will solve all the problems

Boolit Master

Lucky for me nature gave me a very thick skin, being in the military and working in the state prison system (I went home every night) made it even thicker, so I don't get upset about too many things. I feel sorry for the people who can't understand why everyone doesn't agree with then on all points.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?