WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Barrel election

Barrel election

I have a nice argentiean 1909 Mauser action + a stock for it but no barrel , a friend give me two , nice bores , until I check with a borescope , and measure a bit with a lead bullet , barrel nš1 have nice bore no rust , on the muzzle it's .303 x.311 sharp land and grooves , but a free bore.... it's .316 and I need to push a lead bullet (314299) 40 mm ( 1,5") to find the grooves.. and mesure .306x.313 it have a smooth loooooong frebore , second barrel have at muzzle .304x.313 and at freebore a bit more .305x.314 but grooves and lands are dull and rounded think it's shoot with service corrosive ammo and not cleaned , pits and rust all barrel long , I'm cleaning but still no clean patches , what's your opinion wich one will work better with cast bullets? I'm with Nš1 but not sure about.

Any help appreciated

daniel

Boolit Master

No. 1 is there any chance that you could cut off some of the breech and rechamber and reset? If not have you considered paper patch? I'm working on a Mosin with about the same dimentions as your barrel and am learning about the paper patch, haven't got it all figured out yet but getting closer.

MISSOURIANS for MOSINS

Boolit Grand Master

I'd certainly give #1a try. I have a M1909 in 7.65 Argentine and 3 M91s in said cartridge. All have the long throats and pretty close to the same bore dimensions. Mine all shoot very well indeed with Lyman's 314299, Lee's C312-185-R, GB fat 311291 and the GB WFN 150 gr bullet. The most accurate cast bullet is a Lyman 311455 that drops the bullets at .314. With that Lovern style bullet I can make use of that long throat by sizing the bullet to fit the throat and seating the bullet out into it. All my .32 cal pistol bullets also shoot very well in all of the M91/'09s.

Larry Gibson

Banned
    I recently had a similar situation. I had a 1908 Brazilian action and stock and no barrel. Then I came upon a 1909 Argentine barrel. I lucked out in that it has a .311 groove, but my bore is tighter then your .303. Your barrel is dang near perfect if it had a slightly tighter bore in my opinion. Larry gave you some good advice on two bullets for it. I shoot the Lyman 314299 and it shoots better then excellent for me. I don't have the Loverin he described, sure wish I did.

I'd say screw that .311 barrel on that action and have some fun.

Thank you for the replies , I'll try number one first , I re-check measure and in the muzzle it's a bit tight .3024 as a the front part of a 314299 don't fit free , you need to tap it and the nose section measures .303 , with a mgnifing glass found the landsmarks on the bullet's nose measure again and found .3024/5 , I have a lovering design lyman mould of 153 grs and have another in the mail a heavy one of 185 gr I'll try both

thank you

daniel

Boolit Master

DWM,
    Tight at the muzzle is good. I would try the 314299 and size at .314 or larger. It sounds like that should shoot.

Skeet1

A friend offered to cut a new 30'06 chamber this way I'll remove the worst part of the excessive free bore I'll think to do it.

Daniel

Boolit Grand Master

DWM

I have shot several of the '09s that were rechambered with '06 reamers. None of them have shot any better than a standard 7.65 chamber with 311299/314299 or C312-185-R due to the reduction of free bore. Not saying yours won't but none of the ones I've played with over the years did. Just FYI.

Larry Gibson

Banned
    As much as I hate too....."gulp"....ah..ah....I have to agree with Larry. Just kidding Larry. Larry is right in my opinion. I put 10 314299's into a bug hole with the original barrel/chamber.

You just have to shoot various bullets and loads out of it to see what you get.