Thread: Home Built Volcanic Pistol And Ammo

That's VERY danged cool.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

volcanic

Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    It's not finished, but she is starting to look like a Volcanic.

It shoots a highly modified 40 S+W
    Do you have a set of working drawings? Hint, Hint

very nice work
    Doug

Made in U.S.A.
    If you dont have drawings - More Pictures!

Great job.
    And a fun project.

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

crm, you have entered a group of folks that genuinely appreciate such endeavors and respect the work behind the final result..that said,, is it finished? grips and such?
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

This is more than Cool,
    the Volcanic is where it all began,
    Lever Guns that is.

OK, I made this barrel from a bar of "ETD 150", you can "google" it and see what I'm talking about. It is somewhat like 4140 pre-hard, except stronger and easier to get a good finish on.

The bore is .393 and the groove is .400, 1 turn in 14" left hand twist.

The barrel is 8" Lg. The Magazine will hold 8 Cartridges, with one in the chamber, you have 9 shots before reloading.

I used "Smith and Wesson's" Toggle Link idea so that my "Volcanic" would be like theirs, except is different in design and much stronger.

This is a big gun, it is 15.5" long. I was startled when I first the barrel put in the frame. (remember the first time you saw a Colt Walker?)

As I said, this is where it all becan. The "Volcanic" was enlarged to become a "Henry" the "Henry was improved to become the "Winchester 66", the 66 was improved to become the "73", the "73" was enlarged to be a "76"! By now, Mr Browning and some other Boys were building radically different Lever Guns that were much smaller, stronger and could cycle much larger cartridges than the Toggle Link system could handle.

So the Volcanic is all but lost in the pages of history, but it sure is a beautiful gun.

Here I show you my Volcanic alongside a replica "Henry".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5030103.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

Just added it to my "Damn, I wish I had one of those" list..
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

As I said, the idea and principle of of my Toggle Link is identical to the ones Smith + Wesson used. Here I show you the Action closed, and open.

As with all lever guns that I have seen, swinging the lever forward, extracts and ejects the spent shell, raised a fresh cartridge to be inserted in the chamber, and cocks the hammer. Bringing the lever back, inserts the cartridge in the chamber, locks the bolt, and now the trigger is ready to be pulled, firing the gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5030104.jpg   P5030105.jpg  

My gun loads like the original Volcanic and Henry. I changed the design for it to be easier for me to build, but the idea is the same.

Pull the cartridge pusher up and into the Spring Chamber at the muzzle, rotate it around exposing the magazine for loading. Drop in the cartridges until full (8) and rotate the spring chamber back around and you are loaded and ready to go.

Here she is, opened up and ready to fill.

Here she is, loaded with 5 cartridges. That's all I had, I went shooting this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5030107.jpg   P5030106.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    crm, you have entered a group of folks that genuinely appreciate such endeavors and respect the work behind the final result..that said,, is it finished? grips and such?

No, I am still working on it. It looks like it's going to be 3 or 4 more weeks before it's all done.

There are some things I will do differently on the next one I build.

You Guys asking for drawings.

Have you ever built a gun from scratch?

I don't mean a kit.

Something more than a single shot.

This is not an easy gun to build.

If you are good enough to build this gun, then you don't need me or my drawings,

But, show me what you can do, and I will help you.

I may publish this design in a book someday.

Boolit Master

By now, Mr Browning and some other Boys were building radically different Lever Guns that were much smaller, stronger and could cycle much larger cartridges than the Toggle Link system could handle.

So the Volcanic is all but lost in the pages of history, but it sure is a beautiful gun.

I'm glad you didn't say the toggle link was all but lost to history .

I guess Mr.Browning just set the toggle link aside for a while and hoped everybody would forget about it, ya'think?

Boolit Master

I hate it when something provokes me to start looking for something I knew I'd seen... exactly when Browning left the toggle link behind...

You see how close together these two patents were. Very close. I think this first one is a conceptual model. He was working towards a box magazine that could be loaded with a 5 rd enbloc clip.
    He was still using the toggle link in this model.

But just some months later the design is revised, refined, to use a vertical sliding locking bolt, B in this image.

There were two other inventors at Winchester at this same time, Wm.Mason and Thomas Bennet, who were filing patents like mad men on exactly the same type of rifle, a lever action box magazine clip fed..

And the winner was...

...the 1895 Winchester.

I owned one of the take-down .30-06 models long ago. A most beautiful rifle.

Boolit Master

CRM,
    I was very impressed by the first phtos.
    When I found that you had made your own barrel, I was in awe.
    This level of skill and craftsmanship is very rare nowadays.

Very well done!

Jack

Boolit Master

An Uber-Opus to be remembered.
    Bravo.

I am in awe, she is beautiful
    Best motorcycle forum on the net.
    http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/index.php

Thanks for all the very nice compliments Guys. I am glad you enjoy seeing something different.

And a big thank you to Dutchman for your research into Mr Browings departure from the Toggle Link system. You know he was the inventor of the Model 94 Winchester. Such a small and strong action that could shuffle and shuck long cartridges such as the 30-30, 38-55, and many more. (also the Model 92)

Dutchman, I have been looking for information on the Remington, Rider, magazine pistol. Where do you find all those patent drawings?

Beekeeper

pistol

I was looking through some old books I have and found this.
    It is an original advertisment for the volcanic and thought you might get a kick out of it
    Last edited by Beekeeper; 02-20-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Talking Group Buy

Ok Now you've done it.... Where do we sign up for the Group Buy!

That is a fine job you have done...that looks so fun. Thats impressive ballistics from such a small round. What kind of pressure do you think you are running at?

Boolit Master

Dutchman, I have been looking for information on the Remington, Rider, magazine pistol. Where do you find all those patent drawings?
    There are two good sources for US Patent drawings. The first is the US Patent Office database. Those images are all in .tff format and print out nice and clear at 8x10".

This is the index for Class 42 which covers firearms... but not all firearms. Each of these categories has sub-categories and they have sub-categories. If you don't know how a patent was classified you won't find it with anything but dumb luck. Pre-1972 patents have very narrow search parameters. You can search by the patent number and a few other criteria. But its very time consuming and confusing when you first start out.
    http://www.uspto.gov/go/classificati...2/sched042.htm

Let me give you an example. The Erskine Allin Trapdoor conversions are classified by the function of the breechblock. "Upwards & forward" is subcategory 36 so it would be 42/36 and that would give you ALL "upward & forward" patents from Day 1 to a few months ago. Click on the little P in the red box to the left. If you click on the "upward & forward" you'll get an explanation of the patent category with the numbers of subcategories. I'm sure it was a woman who thought all this up just to irritate men.

There are 66 entries in category 42/36. The No.1 is Patent Number 610. Its indexed under two categories: 42/36 and 42/39.5 . You click on the number and it takes you to an intermediate page. You'll see a box with "images". Click on "images" and it takes you to the .tff images of the original patent which in this case is H.&C.Daniels patent of Feb.15, 1838 for a breech loading rifle. How does the breech lock function? Upwards and forwards. http://tinyurl.com/d3pdpw

Many patents are indexed in multiple categories.

The other source is: http://www.google.com/patents?id=7uB...q=joseph+rider

Google Patents will allow searches just like regular Google. Using keywords or combinations of keywords. You can also bracket multiple words with quote marks like this: "Joseph Wesson" revolver . It locks together Joseph and Wesson. The main problem with Google Patent lies in the people Google hired to index the patent titles. They were, to a great degree, NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING persons. It can get real funny with some of the indexed titles. The patent will come up but the way it was titled for index will leave you scratching your head.

I spent almost 2 years working the US Patent Office database. I have collected over 3,000 files, not 3,000 patents. I save the entire patent, drawings and print. Some patents are a couple pages. Some are 20 pages. I have everything for the patents I collected.

If you are unfamiliar with either of these patent databases and want some patents you can email me through the forum and I'd be happy to do the search for you. As long as you join in THIS forum with your wonderous manufacturies I'll do this as a favor as I enjoy viewing the various projects, too.

I'm very familiar with John Browning's patents. I've read his biography by Curt Gentry twice. Did you know along with the developement of the 1895 Winchester starting in 1892 he was also working on a slide action rifle that functioned a box magazine? Eliphalet Remington is another who's bio is very interesting. He had quite a business model while he was alive. It promoted a level of creativity unseen elsewhere in the firearms manufacturing world.

My database has a lot of cartridge and cartridge making patents and goes up to the Dillion 450 press. Isaac Milbanks, Rollin White, James Paris Lee (and associates), Browning, Paul Mauser, Joseph Wesson and a whole bunch of others. Scope mounts, rear sights, breech mechanisms, cartridge heading. Whichever way my curiosity went I followed until I ran out of curiosity. I have Hiram Berdan's rolling block patent. Everybody and his brother had a rolling block patent for the 1870-72 Ordnance Dept Rifle Trials. (carbine trials were in 1866).

That repeating derringer looks interesting.

No, I am still working on it. It looks like it's going to be 3 or 4 more weeks before it's all done.

There are some things I will do differently on the next one I build.

You Guys asking for drawings.

Have you ever built a gun from scratch?

I don't mean a kit.

Something more than a single shot.

This is not an easy gun to build.

If you are good enough to build this gun, then you don't need me or my drawings,

But, show me what you can do, and I will help you.

I may publish this design in a book someday.

Look at my avitar I built this gatling 22 short I had some prints but I did all the machine work myself. all the dividing head calculations and so on ,so yes I know how to scratch build. I have built some darned fine rifles also. This type of project has always fasinated me.

thanks
    Doug

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast