PDA

View Full Version : Mauser bolt loose?

longhunter1757
01-12-2009, 07:54 AM
I've recently come into possession on a 93 Spanish Mauser in 7x57.
It's been partly sporterized already so I was considering taking it the rest of the way and building my son a rifle. I'm either going to rebarrel it in 7x57 or possibly 6.5x55.
I know this isn't the cheap route and it will end up costing more int he long run but I still want to do it just because.

My question is the bolt has a lot of play in it even when closed and not cocked. I can even move it laterally approximately .010-.015 but I haven't actually measured it.
When cocked it's tight as can be but if you put the safety on it goes loose again.
I know that this is a battle rifle and it's suposed to be somewhat loose but is there a way to determine when it's too loose?

Thanks in advance!

Longhunter1757

versifier
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Welcome to Gunloads longhunter.

It shouldn't be at all loose when closed. Do the serial numbers on bolt and receiver match? With 93's and 95's you also want to make sure there are no cracks in the locking lugs. Rebarreling is a fun project that I have also enjoyed, but methinks you really ought to have this one looked over by a gunsmith before proceeding. It sounds suspiciously like Bubba himself did some work on it.

longhunter1757
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Versifier,
When it's closed it's tight until the safety is put on in either position. Now, here's the thing. At the present time I don't have any ammo for it so all of this is being done with an empty chamber if that matters. I guess I should have mentioned that the first time. I know the rifle was fored previosly and as I recall there wasn't any signs of excessive headspace but I'm not 100% sure.
I do plan on having it checked out by a gunsmith before firing it. I just wanted to get an idea if this thing was salvageable.
One more question. I'm assuming that this slop in the bolt would be caused by a headspace issue. If I rebarrel it will the slop go away?

Thanks again!

Longhunter1757

versifier
01-12-2009, 08:13 PM
If it is a headspace issue, yes, but I am not sure that's the problem without closely examining it. Do the serial numbers on bolt and receiver match?

longhunter1757
01-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Receiver and barrel match but there is no number onthe bolt itself. Looks like it was polished off.
Does it make a difference that this is all with an empty chamber?
I've got some ammo on order so perhaps it's best to wait until then and see what it does. If it's still loose I'll have a smith check it out.

Thanks!

Longhunter1757

versifier
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
No, it shouldn't make a difference, empty chamber or loaded. Something is not right. I suspect that the bolt was replaced and modified somehow. Have the gunsmith check it before firing it please.

longhunter1757
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Will do!

Thanks!

longhunter1757